Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stay at Home 'Mom' culture shock!

Stay at Home 'Mom' culture shock!

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay at Home 'Mom' culture shock!

Originally Posted by AC-Queen
Thanks for the reply - I am trying to stay positive, and am very keen to be here. I suppose I just didn't expect the culture shock to be so huge - after all, I thought being a mother was a fairly universal thing, and I'd have no problem finding friends or people I had lots in common with.
I do get the impression that they don't seem to know what to talk about with me, and they are taken aback if I ask something away from the topic of children or families. The most probing question I've had is 'what does your husband do?'.

Unfortunately you will find that most of us don't take about ourselves, lifestyles, money, relationships, or politics until we are feeling extremely comfortable with someone or we've become best friends.

It seems to be our nature to remain aloof in that respect.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:36 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
We are very nearly neighbors.......I'm a little more south of Pearland in Brazoria county.

I don't think Dolly will effect us much but as True Brit says "be prepared to hunker down"
yep and i was doing just that early this morning as heavy rain, thunder and lightening affected our area ...all good fun with the best bit 'hunkering down'
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yep and i was doing just that early this morning as heavy rain, thunder and lightening affected our area ...all good fun with the best bit 'hunkering down'

I know, all good hunkering down fun but you know it's about time we had some rain. Of course now it will go over the top and we'll have too much
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I hear you AC-Queen. I get asked which church i go to before they ask my name. As soon as I say we are not church goers they are gone faster than the light reflecting off Joel Osteen's big ass white teeth. Send me a PM if it all gets too much
Not that I'm in Houston, but just had to add that you're probably better off.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:36 am
Just Joined

AC-Queen will become famous soon enoughAC-Queen will become famous soon enough

djb1000 - thanks! I think 'steely facade' is the term I've been looking for, and I think you have a good understanding of what I mean. I have been trying to describe it to my friends back in UK, and it has been very hard to put a finger on exactly why the women in my neighbourhood seem different to those I would meet at home. They are a lot more polite, but something always seems amiss. It reminds me a little of olden times, when there was more emphasis on 'social graces' than actually having a conversation about anything remotely meaningful.
I was having furniture delivered yesterday and the delivery-man asked how I was finding Wisteria Lane. Hmmm......if only there was as much intrigue!
Luckily I'm the sort of person that enjoys a challenge, and a challenge it is turning out to be!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply - I am trying to stay positive, and am very keen to be here. I suppose I just didn't expect the culture shock to be so huge - after all, I thought being a mother was a fairly universal thing, and I'd have no problem finding friends or people I had lots in common with.
I do get the impression that they don't seem to know what to talk about with me, and they are taken aback if I ask something away from the topic of children or families. The most probing question I've had is 'what does your husband do?'. Conversations do seem limited to small talk, even with people I've met many times. I think it is a Katy SAHM thing. I have been to a few parties downtown and with my husband's colleagues and I get so excited to be talking about anything other than children and interior design, I never want to go home!
In UK I didn't find this at all - lots of the SAHM had interesting lives/past lives/ opinions, and good friendships were made much quicker.
Feeling a little homesick I think!
The "what does your husband do" question reminded me of when we moved into our cul-de-sac in phoenix. All the neighbours had already found out via the realtors that we were english, had no children (at the time) and both of our occupations A few days later we had a 6 year old next door ask us when we were going to have children and then sometime later we started getting comments like "thats a big house for just 2 people" etc. Weird.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

They are a bit steely because quite frankly, you are being tested. Are the person who would betray a confidence, or look down upon them in a condescending manner? Talk behind their back, or use a secret they have against them, or make fun of them to others.

They don't know you from Adam. You're at the small talk phase as a way of getting to know you better. If you look down upon them, or your body language is saying 'this is stupid, you are stupid, etc' then you're in for quite a rough time of things. Do you think you're perfect in hiding your feelings about what they are talking about? They might be picking up on subtle things that is causing them to pause from getting closer.

It takes time and it is a challenge.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:08 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Texan SAHM
Sado and Hardcore Masochists?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

I have been in the US nearly a year now, and have been lucky enough to make some great friends, through my children and through college. However, I can completely empathise with you on the stay at home mom issue. People I meet at the park, at ball games and even grocery shopping are wonderfully friendly, but the young mom's are a different breed, particularly the ones that are my neighbours. I am sure it is a happy mixture of being a stranger, talking funny, and not going to church, but all of that, along with being a single mum with three children, makes it pretty hard to get any conversation out of them. When I do get to make conversation though, it tends to be just about children, the weather or the cost of clorox and febreeze! So, I am happy to smile and wave, and go with the flow. It has gotten easier as time passes; I suppose it just takes a little time. Good Luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:08 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Sado and Hardcore Masochists?
Texas Schoolchildren and Heavy Machinery.

As in: After a bottle of Vat 69, stay away from Texas SAHM.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:36 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Texas Schoolchildren and Heavy Machinery.

As in: After a bottle of Vat 69, stay away from Texas SAHM.
On the other hand, a bottle of Vat 69 may be the only thing that might get you dangerously close to a Texas SAHM!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:39 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

djb1000 - thanks! I think 'steely facade' is the term I've been looking for, and I think you have a good understanding of what I mean. I have been trying to describe it to my friends back in UK, and it has been very hard to put a finger on exactly why the women in my neighbourhood seem different to those I would meet at home. They are a lot more polite, but something always seems amiss. It reminds me a little of olden times, when there was more emphasis on 'social graces' than actually having a conversation about anything remotely meaningful.
I was having furniture delivered yesterday and the delivery-man asked how I was finding Wisteria Lane. Hmmm......if only there was as much intrigue!
Luckily I'm the sort of person that enjoys a challenge, and a challenge it is turning out to be!
Sounds to me like you're quite up to the challenge.

One comment, based on our experience - don't let it get to you. Now that we're happily settled in, here in Texas, and feel like it's home, we often look back on the early years and are amazed at what a big deal we made of things like the "steely facade" of the neighbors. At the time they contributed to our unhappiness, and we blamed them. In retrospect, we were just unhappy due to culture shock, and fixated on the negative aspects of life here.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:42 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Rete
Unfortunately you will find that most of us don't take about ourselves, lifestyles, money, relationships, or politics until we are feeling extremely comfortable with someone or we've become best friends.

It seems to be our nature to remain aloof in that respect.
Only the "money" bit of that doesn't ring true. I've never lived anywhere where money was paraded in front of strangers and new acquaintances in such blatant style.

Sure, you don't talk dollars and cents of salaries, but there's far more comparison of consumer goods, cars, houses etc. than I ever experienced in the UK.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I want to be a stay at home dad. Don't think it will happen though seeing as my wife wants to be a stay at home mum and we can't afford it!
I'm a stay at home dad...not by choice mind, but it sucks.

The pluses, well I get to spend the time with the baby and there it ends...oh, and when out and about, creepy women, read mothers hit on me...well I think it's creepy, they've got their baby with them and all that.

Local library is a good hang out though for book readings, our local even does a movie night once a week....Borders is another good place for kids to hang out at, but we don't have one for miles, weirdly enough.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:50 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm a stay at home dad...not by choice mind, but it sucks.

The pluses, well I get to spend the time with the baby and there it ends...oh, and when out and about, creepy women, read mothers hit on me...well I think it's creepy, they've got their baby with them and all that.

Local library is a good hang out though for book readings, our local even does a movie night once a week....Borders is another good place for kids to hang out at, but we don't have one for miles, weirdly enough.
Pottery barn for kids usually has a story time nonce a week and if you attend you get a stamp - fill up a card and you get a free voucher.
Our local cinema also has a special morning show of a classic movie once a week. Its for mothers and kids so you can walk out half way through if you need to - and everyone is having bathroom trips etc so no one gets annoyed. Its a good way to test if the child is ready for a proper cinema screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.