Which States Waive Driving Test For UK Licence Holders

Wikiposts

Which States Waive Driving Test For UK Licence Holders

Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

goldenlobster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which States Waive Driving Test For UK Licence Holders

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
If you can drive, and I'm not saying you can't.....why would a simple driving test worry you?

Maybe the better idea would to be find a city that has good public transportation so you wouldn't have to worry?
Err... perhaps I have severe testophobia?

I have a better idea... perhaps I should stay in the UK and stop asking legitimate questions on forums where people have nothing better to do than be judgemental when they don't know all the facts.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:01 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenlobster
The UK is a Geneva Compact country... http://transportation.ky.gov/drlic/non_us/geneva.htm

So if I move to Kentucky and become a permanent resident I am excluded from taking the tests?
A permit is not a license. There are better criteria for selecting a state in which to live.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Err... perhaps I have severe testophobia?

I have a better idea... perhaps I should stay in the UK and stop asking legitimate questions on forums where people have nothing better to do than be judgemental when they don't know all the facts.
Your choice....

I think I've asked a legitimate question. If you choose not to answer, that's your choice.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So if I move to Kentucky and become a permanent resident I am excluded from taking the tests?
Did you see this bit (http://drlic.kytc.ky.gov/non_us/non_us_ctzns.htm):

Testing
  • All non U.S. citizens applying for a first time Kentucky license, with the exception of permanent residents, are required to take the written, vision and road tests. This includes transfer driver's holding a valid license from another state or country. Driver's holding a valid out of state license, or a valid license from a Geneva Compact country, will not be required to hold a permit. Non U.S. citizens already licensed in Kentucky are not required to retest but they must be approved by Division of Driver Licensing.
If you are already a PR, you aren't "required to take the written, vision and road tests". The usual caveat applies = just because it's written, it doesn't follow that they'll do what it says!

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Your choice....

I think I've asked a legitimate question. If you choose not to answer, that's your choice.
I have a hard time taking tests and not just driving tests. Driving isn't the problem, it's the actual process of being tested which causes me to have panic attacks.

I didn't really want to get into my reasons but since you asked I thought I would provide you with an answer.

I could attempt a test but if i'm honest i'm scared to because I tend to throw up when I have a bad panic attack.

I have no problem driving (even on the wrong side of the road) and tests are the only thing that seem to bring this on. Any kind of test in an enclosed space like a car sets me off.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have a hard time taking tests and not just driving tests. Driving isn't the problem, it's the actual process of being tested which causes me to have panic attacks.

I didn't really want to get into my reasons but since you asked I thought I would provide you with an answer.

I could attempt a test but if i'm honest i'm scared to because I tend to throw up when I have a bad panic attack.

I have no problem driving (even on the wrong side of the road) and tests are the only thing that seem to bring this on. Any kind of test in an enclosed space like a car sets me off.
Good luck and hopefully you can find someone to help you with your anxiety. Its really much harder in the UK than over here.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
A permit is not a license. There are better criteria for selecting a state in which to live.
Thanks... I missed the bit about being for a permit.

I've selected several states based on other factors and I just want to see which ones (if any) don't require me to take a driving test.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Good luck and hopefully you can find someone to help you with your anxiety. Its really much harder in the UK than over here.
Passing a driving test at the moment would be quite difficult for me and I do plan on getting some help once i'm in the US.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, that reason makes me empathize with you and want to help you. As opposed to your prickly way about it before.

I have never heard of a US state that will switch a UK license for a local one. Probably something to do with the whole driving on the other side of the road thing. I have only ever seen Germany and Canada as acceptable for trading in.

I HAVE however, seen about a 1001 posts here about how simple the driving test is compared to the UK one. I'd imagine that if you passed a UK test, you too will find the US one to be very un-test-like.
Good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I have never heard of a US state that will switch a UK license for a local one.
I switched my UK license for a Louisiana license....no testing of any kind involved.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine moved to Indiana a couple of years ago. After showing his UK license to the examiner he literally drove around the block and parked back at the test centre 5 minutes later. That was it. No guarantee that an examiner would be equally as leniant in Indiana in future though.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, that reason makes me empathize with you and want to help you. As opposed to your prickly way about it before.
Same here, I've got issues with taking tests as well but not as bad as the OP. But I can very much relate to this as I tend to fail tests if I don't massively overstudy simply because I suddenly can't remember what I'm supposed to do.

I have never heard of a US state that will switch a UK license for a local one. Probably something to do with the whole driving on the other side of the road thing. I have only ever seen Germany and Canada as acceptable for trading in.
I did look into this as I found someone on a German forum referring to this (I'm German but I've lived in the UK for quite some time) and there doesn't seem to be a similar provision for a UK license anywhere and especially not here in NV. As a result I got to take multiple tests (car and motorcycle) even though I did take the MSF course for experienced riders instead of booking a motorcycle test.

I HAVE however, seen about a 1001 posts here about how simple the driving test is compared to the UK one. I'd imagine that if you passed a UK test, you too will find the US one to be very un-test-like.
Good luck.
I've never taken a car test in the UK but I got to take my motorcycle test there twice (once for the 33bhp test, the second time to get the restriction removed). The US car test was a walk in the park in comparison even though I was using the 'wrong' car (I had to use my Corvette instead of my wife's Cherokee as I hadn't got around to fixing an issue with the Cherokee in time, and the Corvette's rear visibility leaves a lot to be desired for a driving test).

Took about 20 minutes driving around Carson City and one attempt at parallel parking (with the tester complaining that I was parked too close to the car in front because I parked at the distance I would park outside my house in the UK ) to get the license. I really was much, much easier than in Germany.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
I switched my UK license for a Louisiana license....no testing of any kind involved.
Thanks for the info, another reason to love Louisiana.
When was this? I see that it's not really spelled out on their website. "Any foreign driver's license must be accompanied by proper immigration document. "Any foreign driver's license must be accompanied by proper immigration document"
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

When was this?
I did that in early 2008.
I went to the DMV fully intending to have to sit both the written and practical tests, but when I explained my situation they simply issued me a Louisiana license. I'm not sure if that was a mistake on their part or not.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Two friends of mine moved to CT in 2006 - they showed their UK licenses to the DMV who advised they had to take the road test - an appointment was scheduled, however on the day when they turned up the examiner decided they didn't need to go out on the road and issued them with a CT license.

I moved here this year, did the same thing at the same test centre, however did have to go out on the road. I think it might be luck of the draw as to which examiner you see on the day in a lot of cases rather than individual States having a policy of waiving the test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.