Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which State Would You Live In Given The Choice?

Wikiposts

Which State Would You Live In Given The Choice?

Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which State Would You Live In Given The Choice?

Having spent most of my US life (27+ years) living in the Bay Area, and loving it, and having traveled to about 15-20 other states over the years, I'd have to say nothing much has taken my fancy compared to the Bay Area (except AZ - see below ...)

I personally don't like cold or rain, and I don't like high humidity ... so that rules out a huge portion of the country (entire east cost, mid-west, northern states, Gulf Coast, Pacific Northwest, etc). Even Hawaii is a challenge - pretty but it's very humid so I can't get excited about the place. I'm not a 'beach' person, so the lack of warm water and sandy beaches in northern CA is not an issue for me.

The Bay Area (northern CA) has a whole lot going for it - great weather, close to mountains (Sierras), National Parks (Yosemite, Lassen), ocean, wine country, culture (SF), fabulous food, relatively great job market (for me in high tech), no religious pressure, heavily democrat, incredibly diverse (less than 50% white in SF).

Downsides would be cost of living, and a bit more winter rain than I'd like (being picky/spoiled!). And yes, the homeless situation in SF is an outrage, and was one reason for me to move to the burbs.

Ironically, despite loving the Bay Area, I've spent much of the past 18 months in Arizona due to a job situation that was just too good to pass up. The summer months in Phoenix/Scottsdale are, indeed, a bit of a struggle (over 100F almost every day for 3 months), but - the humidity typically runs around 15%, and the rest of the year is truly delightful. And 90 minutes on a $100 plane ride lands me back in SF ... What REALLY makes me happy in AZ is the scenery; the place is unlike anywhere else on earth (that I've ever seen, other than Utah) - from giant cactus (Saguaro) to Grand Canyons to Monument Valley. I can drive 1-2 hours from my place here and be 20, 30 degrees cooler in the mountains, and drive through scenery that blows your mind. Sedona is absolutely jaw-dropping beautiful, Flagstaff is interesting, Show Low is fun, and the drive to all these places is great. The food options are relatively limited, the diversity is low, but I don't sense any religious pressure. Definitely a nice place to be. I love the fact I get to travel between here and the Bay Area every month.

Utah is at least as spectacular as AZ, but - the Mormon influence is a bit pervasive (you can't rely on getting a beer at a typical restaurant, as an example).

New Mexico is probably the one other place I'd consider ... Santa Fe is drop-dead gorgeous, and the surrounding countryside is nice. It does get cold in winter, but I'd tolerate that since the summers are nice, and the whole state has a certain 'ambiance' that I like.

I'm pretty sure I'll retire here, but if I were to go back to Europe it would be to Tuscany (weather/food/architecture), or Andalusia (same reasons).
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
We're coming to move in with you, sounds grand up there in NY!!

Meanwhile down here in MS they were all talking about the end of summer about a week ago, as far as I can tell it's summer right through November....
According to the font of all knowledge (King 5 news) summer finishes up here on Wednesday evening. I'm guessing it must have been practising for it for the last couple of weeks then
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
According to the font of all knowledge (King 5 news) summer finishes up here on Wednesday evening. I'm guessing it must have been practising for it for the last couple of weeks then
I know, it's nuts!

So we're watching the 10 day forecast on the news last night, 95 and sunny today, 99 and sunny tomorrow. Nevermind, it'll be 85 by the weekend, that's nice and cool.....
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:46 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Colorado. Hawaii/Kenya, would be second choice.

But the correct and only answer is Colorado. The rest of you are wrong.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:10 am
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
So we're watching the 10 day forecast on the news last night, 95 and sunny today, 99 and sunny tomorrow. Nevermind, it'll be 85 by the weekend, that's nice and cool.....
Hartford, CT seems to be gearing up for summer again. Never fails as soon as DH removes the air conditioning unit.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Tennessee/Nashville area ... convenient drive to the mountains in the east, with enough rolling hills in middle TN to make cycling interesting, loved the people who genuinely are friendly (none of this "fake polite" people criticize the South for). Loads of characterful little rural towns and country eating places ... like Manuel's Country cajun Kitchen (if you haven't tried it, you should).

But every winter I'd spend a couple of weeks on St. George Island, Florida.
Having lived in 10 states, including Tennessee twice, it's TN for me.