Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which State Would You Live In Given The Choice?

Which State Would You Live In Given The Choice?

Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

MaineLeedsbloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which State Would You Live In Given The Choice?

Originally Posted by goldenlobster
If you had your choice of all the states in America which one would you choose and why?

If you had no commitments or constraints where in the US would you live?
I have been to alot of the US and currently reside in VT. If given the chance, I would either move next door to NH or ME or to the west coast such as WA. However, I have to compete against my American wife's wishes which is to move back to the UK. I have not been back to jolly old England in 11 years but we are going for a trip next Easter to see my family..........we will have to see what happens.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Like others we had a choice and it was Oregon. The only thing it lacks is an equivalent of the NY theaters being within reasonable traveling distance.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

Would just be so grateful to live in the US that I wouldn't mind where, but if I had a choice then any of the New England states with VT being first choice then the Mid-West especially MI (lived there and loved it), then NC / SC / GA coastal regions. The only place I really disliked was San Francisco.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:36 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
but you went to Eugene, the nice part is Orange country around Corvallis
I spent six months in Corvallis in 2000...while it was gorgeous, and Da Vinci Days are fun, I think it was a bit small for me and poor DH would have had major culture shock after London!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Washington. I don't want to live anywhere else.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:15 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcdavis
Would just be so grateful to live in the US that I wouldn't mind where, but if I had a choice then any of the New England states with VT being first choice then the Mid-West especially MI (lived there and loved it), then NC / SC / GA coastal regions. The only place I really disliked was San Francisco.
Why was that?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:42 am
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

I would return to New York State if I could. Failing which, either Massachusetts or Florida would be nice.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Why was that?
Disliked San Francisco because of the incredibly aggressive beggars (more like muggers really), the rudeness, and the overpricing.

Last edited by mcdavis; Sep 16th 2010 at 1:36 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:30 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcdavis
Disliked San Francisco because of the incredibly aggressive beggars (more like muggers really), the rudeness, and the overpricing.
I can certainly see the beggars comment, especially along market st.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

polar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the roughpolar_bear is a jewel in the rough

Hard to know what it's like living somewhere until you actually live there, but I did like the look of Colorado when we visited. A real 'outdoors' culture and the lowest rate of obesity in the States by all accounts. So I'd give CO a try although we are extremely happy in TX
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

I love how busy New York is, but hate their winters...

So gues would have to be

Hawaii, US Virgin Islands or Florida...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

Let me see, Pennsylvania was backward and there's no money to be made, Maryland was expensive and filled with horrible people, but Virginia was nice.

My personal choice - Arizona.

Ok, so it's like a toaster oven for 3 months of the year, but the winters are wonderfully mild and the lifestyle is all pools, grill outs, and golf.

Wide open spaces, cheap houses, no tornadoes, earthquakes, or other natural disasters (except Mexico and California of course ), great gun laws, good job market in Phoenix, spectacular scenery, and you're almost as far away from England as it's possible to get in the US
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by goldenlobster
If you had your choice of all the states in America which one would you choose and why?

If you had no commitments or constraints where in the US would you live?
CO.

If no constraints means no economic constraints, then I'd happily have a 5000 square foot apartment in Manhattan.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Tennessee/Nashville area ... convenient drive to the mountains in the east, with enough rolling hills in middle TN to make cycling interesting, loved the people who genuinely are friendly (none of this "fake polite" people criticize the South for). Loads of characterful little rural towns and country eating places ... like Manuel's Country cajun Kitchen (if you haven't tried it, you should).

But every winter I'd spend a couple of weeks on St. George Island, Florida.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The one I'm already living in New York State.

I can have mountains or lakes or oceans. Throw in shopping, dining, theater, four seasons, light winters in lower NYS and skiing in northern NYS. I can have nightlife and 5 star dining or a simple walk in the park and a dinner off a cart.

While I love to visit other states, I would prefer to live in NYS.
We're coming to move in with you, sounds grand up there in NY!!

Meanwhile down here in MS they were all talking about the end of summer about a week ago, as far as I can tell it's summer right through November....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.