Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

State to State moves any experience?

State to State moves any experience?

Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:22 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Yayyyyyyy!

I can meet Rockgurl!

I hope you and Duncs will pop in for a cuppa!
Thats nice of you. Hope to take you up on thats someday.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:24 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Duncs
Thats nice of you. Hope to take you up on thats someday.

I went to Boston last summer on a field trip with my daughters class... it is steeped in History, some of it was fascinating.

We saw a lot of graves, but the ones I liked were Mother Goose's and the woman that had to wear the scarlet letter.

You are VERY welcome to pop in.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:56 am
Just Joined

latone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nicelatone is just really nice
Default hi geordiegirl

hi geordiegirl, yes they are finding it difficult to place her in cali(so they say) or its less expensive to move her,hopefully now that spring is here she'll feel better and i just want to say to everyone with this agency i have respect for you all its been a long stressful journey on my family and rockgurl gives me hope
Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:05 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I live in Snottsdale and love it here. But it is like effi said, expensive. Northern Scottsdale is slightly more expensive than the south close to the Tempe/Phoenix border, but lately there isnt much difference. My brother in law was just saying this last weekend that the house they all grew up in on the Scottsdale/Phoenix border, was on the market for close to $450,000 when it was sold around 10 years ago for $180,000. Its not that big of a house either. Traffic is terrible on the 101 freeway that skirts the city, so you may want to think hard about where you're working and where you are commuting from. There is plenty to do here though and the weather is kicking ass right now. Just be prepared for those 120 degree days in july and august and pretty much 90 degree temps from now through to october.
Same problem with the property prices here.

I had to chuckle at "Snottsdale".

Incline Village has the nickname "Income Village".......

A house rather than a condo for under half a mil? A steal here!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:55 am
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pimbot, Rockgurl, Effi and Latone

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be giving Snotsdale a wide berth then. Know any good trailer parks?

P.S.I'll put any further nursey/agency stuff on the nurses thread.

As for now I really need to go and get that washing put away. Must be strong, must be strong <edges away slowly and painfully from the PC>
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jaybob
Hi Pimbot, Rockgurl, Effi and Latone

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be giving Snotsdale a wide berth then. Know any good trailer parks?

P.S.I'll put any further nursey/agency stuff on the nurses thread.

As for now I really need to go and get that washing put away. Must be strong, must be strong <edges away slowly and painfully from the PC>
Where is the nurses thread?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 6:54 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by geordiegirl2
Where is the nurses thread?
Actually depending what the question is I'd just start a new thread or use the search tab at the top of the page to find a thread with a similar issue. There's a few threads re nursing if you use the search facility.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about

if it helps you move:

if you don't have any furniture and will drive your own car (or don't have one), then the cheapest way to ship your stuff is to ship it Fedex Ground. Fedex Ground is pretty fast -- three- four days, you can even specify a day to deliver or to deliver it in the evening. If you specify a day, and it's a residential delivery, do not pick Monday, they don't work on that day and you will wait in vain.
Now, a box of about 30-40 pounds cost me $11, you can check prices on fedex.com. Don't forget to choose Fedex Ground, and not regular Air or anything like that. They are cheaper than regular mail.

I had 12 assorted (heavy and average, medium and large size) boxes of all my life's savings shipped from Missouri to Atlanta, and the whole move cost me $109 + gas to drive myself in my car to Atl. Didn't have to worry about the boxes.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: State to State moves any experience?

I have been thinking about getting organised to move up north for college in the summer. I just wondered if anyone on here had experience in using a removal company or even Uhaul etc and could offer advice on the best way to move a relatively low amount of stuff from Jackson Mississippi to Boston? Costs an issue so low price is good.

regards,

Duncan
Duncs,

Glad to see you've made the decision to go to Boston after all.

The last time I moved, I used Mayflower. They showed up at the house, packed all the stuff and then delivered it to the new house a few days later. It wasn't cheap, but they were brilliant. The guys worked like dogs and didn't stop until everything was done. I'm sure some people didn't have such a good experience with them, but for us, it worked out great and they were very professional.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Been thinking about that but lots of u-haul horror stories so wont be using them. ......
I've moved three times, and also helped my in-laws move. Each time we shopped around for a rental truck - U-Haul, Ryder, and Penske. On every occasion Penske was the cheapest, by a fair margin, their small trucks were always clean and fairly new (only the bigger trucks were older and higher mileage).
Old Mar 20th 2004, 4:54 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pulaski
I've moved three times, and also helped my in-laws move. Each time we shopped around for a rental truck - U-Haul, Ryder, and Penske. On every occasion Penske was the cheapest, by a fair margin, their small trucks were always clean and fairly new (only the bigger trucks were older and higher mileage).
I have heard good things about Penske and in pricing they come out well. They have a depot down the road from us so they look like the choice i will go with. We dont have much so a 10ft van will likely do it.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Has anyone ever sent anything big like a computer through UPS? It's got to be ok, seeing as they delivered it in the first place!
Should be fine - but heed the golden rule of shipping computers and other electronics... :lecture: SHIP IT IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING.

I've heard lots of horror stories from people who thought it would be ok to wrap computers/monitors in bubblewrap then put them in any old cardboard box - this is almost guaranteed to result in a box of 'components' arriving at the destination.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:59 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by superpat
Should be fine - but heed the golden rule of shipping computers and other electronics... :lecture: SHIP IT IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING.

I've heard lots of horror stories from people who thought it would be ok to wrap computers/monitors in bubblewrap then put them in any old cardboard box - this is almost guaranteed to result in a box of 'components' arriving at the destination.

Cheers,

Pat
Oh don't worry...I kept all the original boxes and polystyrene inserts. I knew this would happen so I saved them all.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure thats right. You have to get weighed at state borders in a truck but i dont know about a smaller van. ....
The weigh stations I for commercial traffic only. I drove a Penske truck (one with a 25ft box - bigger than a class 3 HGV in the UK), the biggest that you can drive on a car licence from New York to Virginia, passed several weigh-stations and never once attracted any attention. And nobody at the Penske truck rental agencies has ever told us "make sure to go through the way stations" either.

If you are talking about smaller (10-15ft box) trucks I wouldn't worry at all about weigh stations.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 3:11 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Yippee! You bet! As long as it's PG Tips! And er...can we wait till it stops snowing? i haven't mastered the art of sliding anywhere yet.

IF it ever stops snowing!

We have a hill you can practice sledding on, just don't go near the dog, she gets carried away in the excitment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.