Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

State Selection:Sun and Snow

Wikiposts

State Selection:Sun and Snow

Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Selection:Sun and Snow

Originally Posted by Science
Does a wonderland such as this exist?
Arizona.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I wont be going to the US for quite some time yet, however, There is no harm planning ahead. I am looking for a State that has nice Hot poolside climate in Summer and a very snowy winter!

Does a wonderland such as this exist?
Mate rather than picking a state, if you have to work I'd look for a job first.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Science is an unknown quantity at this point

I would rent for a year in a Snow State if things didnt work out Houston would be my port of call.

This has been ticking away at me afew days now, what sort of quality are US Homes built to? There so damn cheap it's worrying, I have been looking around with a budget of 600-700k USD and the majority of these homes would be well over $2m in the UK I understand the huge amounts of land here in the US but that cant explain it all can it?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I would rent for a year in a Snow State if things didnt work out Houston would be my port of call.

This has been ticking away at me afew days now, what sort of quality are US Homes built to? There so damn cheap it's worrying, I have been looking around with a budget of 600-700k USD and the majority of these homes would be well over $2m in the UK I understand the huge amounts of land here in the US but that cant explain it all can it?
So if you want to come, EB5 is the way...and buy a cheaper home in a cheaper state.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:38 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

With that kind of money, choose your location wisely and you could probably have something built to your specs.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:42 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

basically the homes are glorified garden sheds ie all wood and felt roofs..... guttering extra. no hammer needed to knock a picture hook in the wall, i just use the heel of my shoe. if you see a brick house then it's more than likely like jack and vera's on corrie street, just brick/tile facia. apart from the brick chimney everything is wood construction with brick, hardiplank or stucco facia....cheap as chips m8
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live...some areas equal and some are more expensive than the UK. It's not just the price of houses you have to consider it's the hidden extras ie property taxes, utilities etc...we have been discussing this recently on here. Yes the houses are made of wood and plastic whether they cost less, the same or more than houses in the UK.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:53 am
Just Joined

I am sure they must be more than adequate if 300+ Million people live in them.
I will get to see first hand when I get over there anyhoo.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 2:58 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure they must be more than adequate if 300+ Million people live in them.
I will get to see first hand when I get over there anyhoo.
Keeps the rain off. Most of the time.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:02 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Keeps the rain off. Most of the time.
just fingers crossed the hailstones aren't too big
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:05 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Roofer's and autobody shops love hailstorms! After our last one it seemed everyone at work was getting new roofs, new paint job on the car, some even got new siding! Insurance co's weren't happy though. We've somehow avoided hailstorms.:curse:
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Jesus ur winding me up or are they like Golf balls or somthing?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful about wanting snow where you live.

I'd visited here when it was snowing and thought it would be no big deal living here. First winter was OK but now after numerous injuries after slipping on ice, sitting for hours on roads trying to get home, facing the wrong way on the highway because you've spun because the road was slightly sloped and hadn't been plowed, having to dig yourself out of your house because of snow drifts, being stuck at home because you can't dig yourself out, being so cold it hurts to breath outside, being so cold that they have warnings every morning about not going outside without gloves, hats and thick coats because within a couple of minutes you could get frostbite, wearing 5 or 6 layers of clothes and still being cold outside, and having all that for 4-6 months of the year, I hate the snow and wouldn't really miss it if I never saw it again.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

houses here is a pet peeve of mine... a brick house is SOOO much better at almost everything over a paper mache' POS. The ONLY benefit I can see the the paper mache houses is that you can add to them relatively easily... fuggers still charge the same as in the UK tho...

If I ever get my dream of building my own, I'll be building using as much brick as possible.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
and the wind isn't too strong.

Not to mention the fire hazard!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.