Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

State Selection:Sun and Snow

State Selection:Sun and Snow

Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Selection:Sun and Snow

Originally Posted by Science
Could a company sponsor me for a 2 year work permit visa? I would imagine I would have to leave the country before the end of the 2 Year period was up with a trip to Canada or (Texas I am learning )/UK Depending on how long the process takes.
You first need the offer of the job, and then the prospective employer starts the visa application process on your behalf. The visa type is determined by the the type of work you'll be doing. J visas have a two-year limit (I think); the H1B is a maximum of 6 years, renewed after the third year. Then you have to start a LPR application if you'd like to stay.

But first you need a job...
Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
You first need the offer of the job, and then the prospective employer starts the visa application process on your behalf. The visa type is determined by the the type of work you'll be doing. J visas have a two-year limit (I think); the H1B is a maximum of 6 years, renewed after the third year. Then you have to start a LPR application if you'd like to stay.

But first you need a job...
the guy is 20.

I know he said he's not wanting to come here for a bit.

by "a bit" I presume he's looking at 10 or 20 years at least......
and then it'll probably be just as tough if not harder to come in the doors........
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Science is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
er......... no.

why are you looking at places to live when you can't live here?
I can get a Sponsorship off Shell or Haliburton as a last resort, Personal Background is fine so I dont see a problem in getting into the US, However If possible I would prefer to be able to get a 2 Year tax free period which is doubtful with Shell or Hali.

the guy is 20.

I know he said he's not wanting to come here for a bit.

by "a bit" I presume he's looking at 10 or 20 years at least......
and then it'll probably be just as tough if not harder to come in the doors........
I am thinking more along the lines of 1 year, I have work in Abu dhabi then either transfer to US or 1 more term in UAE, I know some will see this as stupid however it's future planning and I am also learning quite abit more about the US life style the further down I get.

Last edited by Science; Aug 20th 2007 at 5:18 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

if you are 20... exactly HOW are you "getting in"... there are only a few methods and for a 20yo... those are limited to ... well... not many at all.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:14 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Be careful about wanting snow where you live.

I'd visited here when it was snowing and thought it would be no big deal living here. First winter was OK but now after numerous injuries after slipping on ice, sitting for hours on roads trying to get home, facing the wrong way on the highway because you've spun because the road was slightly sloped and hadn't been plowed, having to dig yourself out of your house because of snow drifts, being stuck at home because you can't dig yourself out, being so cold it hurts to breath outside, being so cold that they have warnings every morning about not going outside without gloves, hats and thick coats because within a couple of minutes you could get frostbite, wearing 5 or 6 layers of clothes and still being cold outside, and having all that for 4-6 months of the year, I hate the snow and wouldn't really miss it if I never saw it again.
I wouldn't miss snow either. I do like having 4 seasons but this summer hasn't been that good and last winter was so long and so cold.
I am dreading this winter.
It's cold in our house as well as outside and the heating costs are huge
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I can get a Sponsorship off Shell or Haliburton as a last resort, Personal Background is fine so I dont see a problem in getting into the US, However If possible I would prefer to be able to get a 2 Year tax free period which is doubtful with Shell or Hali.
Why would the yanks let you in to work?

let alone for allow you to do it without taxes.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the yanks let you in to work?

let alone for allow you to do it without taxes.
Perhaps he's a relative of Dick Cheyney's.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:28 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Move to Cuba, acquire the following:

Droopy Moustache
Some Cigars
Cuban Passport
Guide to Speaking English by Manuel from Fawlty Towers (foreward and paella recipe by his mother)
Pedalo

Pedal across to Miami or Naples (I'd actually suggest Marco Island, they have about 3 policemen).

No need for this sponsorship malarky!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:21 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I wont be going to the US for quite some time yet, however, There is no harm planning ahead. I am looking for a State that has nice Hot poolside climate in Summer and a very snowy winter!

Does a wonderland such as this exist?
When we were looking for a home in New Hampshire....a lot of homes had pools...and I know they get snow....
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

I wont be going to the US for quite some time yet, however, There is no harm planning ahead. I am looking for a State that has nice Hot poolside climate in Summer and a very snowy winter!

Does a wonderland such as this exist?
Northern Idaho, Montana bloody hot and bloody cold.one good thing no humidity.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 1:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that if you secure a two-year-no-taxes deal, you'll almost certainly have to backpay all that tax plus interest if you stay even one day into a third year.

Northern New Mexico has the climate you describe, and the snow is useful for skiing on. Good luck finding a job though. Only one place offering jobs that may suit you, and they'd probably want a degree or two. They do have quota-exempt H1Bs though.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking more along the lines of 1 year, I have work in Abu dhabi then either transfer to US or 1 more term in UAE, I know some will see this as stupid however it's future planning and I am also learning quite abit more about the US life style the further down I get.
Millions of people have good personal backgrounds, but can they legally resettle in the US? No.

And why would Shell and Haliburton employ you here over a local person? I could see it if you were a director or something, but a 20 year old? C'mon. You are just trolling here.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you work for a company and they want to transfer you, that's a good way, but your limited to where they have an office.

Fresh off for a new employer, well you've got to have a ton of experience, because an H1B visa is well expensive these days, and the quota is slim, it's filled within a day, which they would apply for in April for that following Oct start date....realistically speaking, unless you've very niche skills, you don't stand a chance without a good 5-10 years experience, 12 if you don't have a degree or any years of study at a uni.