Reload this Page >

Starting a New School...

Starting a New School...

Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Bunnii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting a New School...

Hey There!

Just got back from seeing Texas, and all the schools, houses and everything. Me and my family are moving out there in the summer but I am absolutley petrified moving schools. I have many questions so sorry for the long post.

First of all I'm 14 and i'll be in Year 10 (10th Grade) in September when I start GCSE's but if I move to america...I can't get GCSE's. If I go to american school till the end would I be able to work in the UK without any A Levels and stuff because I think they do something like Highschool Diplomas or something.

It's not just the education - It's the people, I'm affraid of screwing something up because I'm not used to their culture or anything. Plus at my age girls can be pretty "Cliquey" and I'm affraid I wont make any friends.

So obioviously I'm extreamly scared. Could someone answer these questions?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:07 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a New School...

i think that your british accent will make you very popular as all the americans I meet love to hear it and ask me to say anything just to hear more. I have seen several posts on here from mums saying their teenagers love it over here and have settled into a new school very quickly.

I hope you have a great time when you arrive - im sure you will have a blast.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bunnii
Hey There!

Just got back from seeing Texas, and all the schools, houses and everything. Me and my family are moving out there in the summer but I am absolutley petrified moving schools. I have many questions so sorry for the long post.

First of all I'm 14 and i'll be in Year 10 (10th Grade) in September when I start GCSE's but if I move to america...I can't get GCSE's. If I go to american school till the end would I be able to work in the UK without any A Levels and stuff because I think they do something like Highschool Diplomas or something.

It's not just the education - It's the people, I'm affraid of screwing something up because I'm not used to their culture or anything. Plus at my age girls can be pretty "Cliquey" and I'm affraid I wont make any friends.

Hello Bunnii and welcome to BE.

We have a forum for teens called the Youth Club...you may find someone in your age group who have been or are in a similar situation as yourself.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My son's 15 and is in Grade 9 - but maybe it varies by state.

The system is a little different from the UK but they should be able to work out your level from previous work and reports you have.

Some girls are very cliquey and label-conscious but of course not everyone is like that. My daughter is 12 and gets on fine.

Good luck
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Hey There!

For 14 years old you certainly appear to be quite smart. Firstly you had the good sense to seek advice here and also as you don't type in that bloody text speak.

Whilst I appreciate that you are quite scared or apprehensive about going to school in Texas I really think that after a few weeks you will have found your own comfort zone. They are not aliens, they just talk funny and have a few weird habits. I think you will do fine.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:05 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey There!

I hope this link works but it should give you an idea of the UK equivalent grades in the US..

http://www.britishcouncil.org/usa-ed...k-glossary.htm

And like everyone else has said...you sound like a lovely smart girl and I'm sure everyone will be flocking around you like flies once they hear your accent...just be yourself and observe how they do things here..sometimes things are the same...but called a different name (hey that rhymes)...e.g. canteen is Cafeteria..break time is called Recess...its just silly things like that..nothing to be worried about..

Hope you enjoy your move and have a great time at your new school..
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:10 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hey There!

I'm going to give you some advice as a person that felt like a complete transplant when I changed school systems at your age. I know that you are scared. You also feel resentful of your situation. I felt that way because I had so many plans with the current set of friends I did have. Yet I didn't have a choice in the matter. When I got to my new school I had a huge chip on my shoulder because I thought everything back home was superior and how 'hickish' the school was. Well all that thinking didn't do me any good. You are right about things being very cliquish at that age. I felt it. If the present me could talk to my past self then I would have told myself to immerse myself into school activities early on. Join after school organizations that have events planned so you'll have something on your social calendar to do without having to befriend anyone just yet. That will happen naturally. I would have said not to worry so much about fitting in too much. It's better to have a set of very good friends that you can count on one hand than a a dozen that don't care about you. Lastly I would have immersed myself in the culture surrounding me. Go to an American Football game if you can. Attend a rodeo. Eat massive amounts of Texas BBQ. Treat the area where you are like a tourist. It will give you something to do and a crap load of stories to tell if and when you return back to the UK. This is a huge learning opportunity for you that most don't receive in life. Go for it!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I'm going to give you some advice as a person that felt like a complete transplant when I changed school systems at your age. I know that you are scared. You also feel resentful of your situation. I felt that way because I had so many plans with the current set of friends I did have. Yet I didn't have a choice in the matter. When I got to my new school I had a huge chip on my shoulder because I thought everything back home was superior and how 'hickish' the school was. Well all that thinking didn't do me any good. You are right about things being very cliquish at that age. I felt it. If the present me could talk to my past self then I would have told myself to immerse myself into school activities early on. Join after school organizations that have events planned so you'll have something on your social calendar to do without having to befriend anyone just yet. That will happen naturally. I would have said not to worry so much about fitting in too much. It's better to have a set of very good friends that you can count on one hand than a a dozen that don't care about you. Lastly I would have immersed myself in the culture surrounding me. Go to an American Football game if you can. Attend a rodeo. Eat massive amounts of Texas BBQ. Treat the area where you are like a tourist. It will give you something to do and a crap load of stories to tell if and when you return back to the UK. This is a huge learning opportunity for you that most don't receive in life. Go for it!
Another bloody novel. zzz zzz zzz

Poor little cow fell asleep after "I'm going to give you some advice" like the rest of us do.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Eat massive amounts of Texas BBQ!
Yup. She'll fit in then.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:16 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Another bloody novel. zzz zzz zzz

Poor little cow fell asleep after "I'm going to give you some advice" like the rest of us do.
Poor thing. Funny how I didn't google that one. Wiki wouldn't have it either. Shall I get you a pillow and a handkerchief to wipe the droll?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Poor thing. Funny how I didn't google that one. Wiki wouldn't have it either. Shall I get you a pillow and a handkerchief to wipe the droll?
Thats one you shouldve googled. How is she going to fit in if she treats the place as if shes a tourist instead of treating like "home"?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Bunnii...my daughter was 11 when we moved to the US...she went straight into Grade 6. She didn't have a problem fitting in with the other kids...in fact they made a fuss of her and were very helpful. Took a while for her to get used to the way the subjects were taught and she had to learn how to play new sports. ie soft ball, volleyball etc.

You're bound to feel a little scared...just think of it as a new adventure. BTW my daughter spent a couple of days at the school before we actually moved here...that helped put her mind at rest.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:24 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Thats one you shouldve googled. How is she going to fit in if she treats the place as if shes a tourist instead of treating like "home"?
Everywhere I've lived I wish I would have done this and that. I wish I had done a lot of things that most tourist do just so I'd have the experience. However treating a place like home to me is settling into a rhythm that makes it easier to say "I'll do it tomorrow, just not today. I'm too busy." Just knowing that you don't have a deadline to see it all in puts all the cool things to the way side in the guise of I'll get to it later. By the time my dad received his orders for a new billet, it was too late. Life sucks living with what if's and should have's. Don't you agree?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Are your parents planning to move permanently? In which case the qualifications won't matter. If it is only going to be a temporary move then maybe you can voice your concerns about not having British qualifications to go back with. Of course your parents are allowed to make decisions for you but your worries are valid and you are old enough to have at least a voice in my opinion. There are options such as the international baccalaureate which may be available to you.
I can't imagine that going back to the UK with a US high school diploma would be that much of a hindrance though. Universities would be able to calculate your GPA (grades) for entrance applications, and you could always arrange a professional 'translation' of your diploma for jobs (a company works out what the UK equivalent would be for you).
As for when you get here, keep an open mind and try to get involved in as much as possible. It's very tempting to compare everything with 'home' but Texas will be home now and you will definitely enjoy it more if you really try to.
Americans tend to move across the country more than the British might so the kids at your school will probably be more used to having new people than you might think. And most schools are considerably larger than British ones so you have a larger group to choose from!

Sorry everyone I'm used to telling bedtime stories these days...
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:27 am
Account Closed

Everywhere I've lived I wish I would have done this and that. I wish I had done a lot of things that most tourist do just so I'd have the experience. However treating a place like home to me is settling into a rhythm that makes it easier to say "I'll do it tomorrow, just not today. I'm too busy." Just knowing that you don't have a deadline to see it all in puts all the cool things to the way side in the guise of I'll get to it later. By the time my dad received his orders for a new billet, it was too late. Life sucks living with what if's and should have's. Don't you agree?
No I dont. A kid of 14 needs stability and to understand that home is where mum and dad are, where there is security/sanctuary etc...not some place 3000 miles away where theres a spotty boyfriend with a playstation and a hard on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.