Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

starting a business

starting a business

Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting a business

I've started a business ..(sort of) I am nowan independent driver or owner operator. It's the first time in my life I had to work right through new years eve to meet a deadline and get a load to SC on time. In the past when wroking for someone else I would have just told the boss to get stuffed, but being the boss I can't do that, then there are the calls from Kate to ask how much my pay was ? I told her what I got for up to Maine deliver and then the load to SC.
"What about the load you just dropped off ?"
"I havn't even submitted the bill yet" I said.
"But you went away over the new year to earn extra for your trip" she said.
Poor Kate is so stressed out with all thats happening, I don't think she could get it that I don't actually get paid by who I deliver t, when they take the stuff off.
"It will be there when we get back from England" I told her.
"But we need it now"

Can't help her... sorry .. thats a part of being self employed.

Although this is just a small venture it's just as stressfull as any big one.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:21 pm
GRG
Just Joined

GRG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
For an L-1A visa Intra-company transferees visa..your company (not you)
must be of a size that would be acceptable to the State Dept (ie. your'e not a home business with a couple of employees.. Remembering this visa was designed for the likes of GM Ford Microsoft ..to move their employees around ... This is not an investment visa ...
But the company would be expected to make sizeable investments in any new offices etc ...
Google L-1A visa for lots of info ..
Thanks for this. My company does seem to meet the requirements.

Litigation is a worry even in London - you just have to be very careful.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by GRG

Litigation is a worry even in London - you just have to be very careful.
Find out how much liability insurance will cost you. Google for it.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GRG
Unfortunately since the cap on the H1b visas and the difficulties and disadvantages of the E2, the L2 route has become popular. Hence the London consulate is appearing to put their own limit on numbers by being bloody minded. It is not unusual for folks to start the business then have to go home because of paperwork problems. Be very, very careful on this route. If every "I" isn't dotted and the gods aren't smiling, it'll fail.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: starting a business

There is an English lady running a nursery school in our town, based at the Episcopal church but operated independently. I've met her (when collecting my friend's children) and she seems very nice. Perhaps she may share some info with you if she knows you will be located far enough away from her (we are in the NY metro area in the NJ suburbs) so you're not in direct competition!

http://www.njkid.org/ (see under Preschool)

Are you planning to be based in NYC or in New York State?

On the other hand, I was talking with my best friend over here, an Aussie expat. She was saying that her sister and all of her friends are complaining about how desperate parents are in the North Shore communities around Sydney for decent childcare as so many mothers need to go to work. There just aren't enough nursery schools around and long waiting lists, but many children can't get in.

My friend is thinking that there may be a business opportunity for her when she returns home to Oz in a few years.....(she would be the owner but employ childfcare professionals to work for her).
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:13 pm
GRG
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Englishmum;4253073]There is an English lady running a nursery school in our town, based at the Episcopal church but operated independently. I've met her (when collecting my friend's children) and she seems very nice. Perhaps she may share some info with you if she knows you will be located far enough away from her (we are in the NY metro area in the NJ suburbs) so you're not in direct competition!

Thanks for this - I really appreciate the information. The premises I've found are in NYC.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:37 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GRG
I own a nursery school in London, taking children up to age 5. I'm considering opening a sister school in New York. Presumably I'm able to do this whether I have a visa allowing me to live there or not if I employ someone to run it for me.

In order to qualify for this L1 visa, do I have to show that my business here is worth a certain amount, or do I have to be able to invest a set amount in the business there. Would signing a ten year lease worth $500k count as an investment of $500k? I don't understand the ins and outs of it.
I am just guessing but:

If you had the business here you would have to have insurance against being sued by a parent or whomever.

The insurance company would want to know about your qualifications to run it. They would not give a toss about you running one in the UK. Liability would require you to have US qualifications.

That probably means that you would have to have a US manager who was suitably qualified.

I suspect you could buy an existing nursery and install a manager but to start one yourself would be a real trial.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:54 pm
GRG
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I am just guessing but:

If you had the business here you would have to have insurance against being sued by a parent or whomever.

The insurance company would want to know about your qualifications to run it. They would not give a toss about you running one in the UK. Liability would require you to have US qualifications.

That probably means that you would have to have a US manager who was suitably qualified.

I suspect you could buy an existing nursery and install a manager but to start one yourself would be a real trial.
Is it not just a case of getting my qualifications assessed by the US equivalent of NARIC?

Here, it's Ofsted who want to see qualifications, not the insurance company.

Having said that, I don't mind putting in a manager.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=GRG;4253111]
Originally Posted by Englishmum
There is an English lady running a nursery school in our town, based at the Episcopal church but operated independently. I've met her (when collecting my friend's children) and she seems very nice. Perhaps she may share some info with you if she knows you will be located far enough away from her (we are in the NY metro area in the NJ suburbs) so you're not in direct competition!

Thanks for this - I really appreciate the information. The premises I've found are in NYC.
Have you spoken to the Landlord, will they except a Kiddie Nursery? How much deposit/upfront rent do they require from a NON USC? Liability ins(Others have mentioned, will be huge. Still you can charge bucks, I live in NYC for many many years.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I've started a business ..(sort of) I am nowan independent driver or owner operator. It's the first time in my life I had to work right through new years eve to meet a deadline and get a load to SC on time. In the past when wroking for someone else I would have just told the boss to get stuffed, but being the boss I can't do that, then there are the calls from Kate to ask how much my pay was ? I told her what I got for up to Maine deliver and then the load to SC.
"What about the load you just dropped off ?"
"I havn't even submitted the bill yet" I said.
"But you went away over the new year to earn extra for your trip" she said.
Poor Kate is so stressed out with all thats happening, I don't think she could get it that I don't actually get paid by who I deliver t, when they take the stuff off.
"It will be there when we get back from England" I told her.
"But we need it now"

Can't help her... sorry .. thats a part of being self employed.

Although this is just a small venture it's just as stressfull as any big one.
Being self-employed, I know what it's like, Patrick. I hope your $$$ is there when you get back, but I would not bank on it. I usually have to wait at least a month to get paid, and 2 months is not unusual (which sucks, because my expenses are huge...)

Anyway, hope all is going well for you, given your circumstances.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Being self-employed, I know what it's like, Patrick. I hope your $$$ is there when you get back, but I would not bank on it. I usually have to wait at least a month to get paid, and 2 months is not unusual (which sucks, because my expenses are huge...)

Anyway, hope all is going well for you, given your circumstances.
It seems to be working fine at the moment, I get a delivery off, send the paperwork by Fed Ex and get apid by phone via com-check next day. It's just that my last delivery in Maine was in the middle of nowhere and the paperwork didn't get sent till this morning, pay will be ready monday but I will be in the UK.
I never realised how much it actually cost to run a truck before.... $3,000 in fuel a week.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:41 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GRG
Is it not just a case of getting my qualifications assessed by the US equivalent of NARIC?

Here, it's Ofsted who want to see qualifications, not the insurance company.

Having said that, I don't mind putting in a manager.

I am just guessing, not having been in your position, but I do live here full time and have a good idea how things work.

Some insurance bean counter will assess the risk. If you have no US qualifications they will not accept the risk because in the event a problem went to court, the prosecution would say you were not qualified in the eyes of the US legal system.

Maybe someone else could qualify this opinion.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GRG
In what regard? The requirements for registration are exactly the same as the UK. Can't see how it could be any different to running a London school.
well L visa being popular, London Consulate are pretty tight with giving them out, especially if it is your own business.

Your UK qualifications won't mean shit over here, and getting them converted is only good if your going for a job, won't do anything working for yourself, which gives you head ache getting insurance, and it will be expensive, it's one of the biggest costs of running a school, that and keep up with health and safety regulations, and being in NY, it will be a lot tougher and more expensive than when we were in maine and the missus worked for a nursery school....your other issue is finding a place to rent because of all the requirements.