Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Start up business ideas???

Start up business ideas???

Old May 1st 2007, 7:06 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Start up business ideas???

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, the trick is to do it in Europe where parts are more plentiful (and temperatures cooler) and then container ship the lot back to yourself. Resell.
I also bought a few things from here ( note the name )

http://www.coventrywest.com/
Old May 1st 2007, 7:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Christmas cake if stored correctly should keep several years.

Traditionally the top tier of a wedding cake is saved for the 1st baby's christening. Please note I mean UK traditions....no US sponge wedding cake would last that long.
The top tier in the US is typically stuck in the freezer and eaten on the first WEDDING anniversary. A lot more predictable than 1st baby coming along!
Old May 1st 2007, 7:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I also bought a few things from here ( note the name )

http://www.coventrywest.com/

Anyway, you're closer to the rich folk and people like to look at used parts before they buy.... if there's a market.... you could be <posher city> West!
Old May 1st 2007, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a bit of cash and have a source, selling second hand laptops is a fantastic side business. You buy them cheap from companies that are upgrading or various other organizations that have second hand or refurbished ones and sell them on college campuses and ebay. With an auction all you need to do is whip up some auctions and then pack them up and ship them. With the campuses you just have to take the call and arrange a pick up. If you want to go a step further, talk to some local computer shops, not chains, and see if they will stick a few on display for a cut of the sale. It looks good on ebay if you can list a brick and mortar store as a contact.

I did this for 6 months or so at university with a friend and made a nice amount as well as getting a "free" laptop out of it.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I'm quite interested in some of the answers because when, and if, I do finally get a green card I don't know what to do. I want to save Walmart until I am old.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen my photo in the photopost. I'll go broke
how about pimping?

good money in ironing shirts...
Old May 1st 2007, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Traditionally the top tier of a wedding cake is saved for the 1st baby's christening. Please note I mean UK traditions....no US sponge wedding cake would last that long.
In the US it's frozen and then eaten on first wedding anniversary...
Old May 1st 2007, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you have a bit of cash and have a source, selling second hand laptops is a fantastic side business. You buy them cheap from companies that are upgrading or various other organizations that have second hand or refurbished ones and sell them on college campuses and ebay. With an auction all you need to do is whip up some auctions and then pack them up and ship them. With the campuses you just have to take the call and arrange a pick up. If you want to go a step further, talk to some local computer shops, not chains, and see if they will stick a few on display for a cut of the sale. It looks good on ebay if you can list a brick and mortar store as a contact.

I did this for 6 months or so at university with a friend and made a nice amount as well as getting a "free" laptop out of it.
Thing these days is watching out for dodgy copies of XP....
Old May 1st 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I started selling on ebay while I was waiting for my work permit. By the time it came through, I was really enjoying it. I spent a lot of time going to auctions & estate sales, buying antiques, pottery & glass etc & re-selling it. First I did it on ebay & then I got booths in antique malls.

BTW, I knew NOTHING about antiques, pottery or glass when I started. The community boards on ebay are awesome for helping and teaching & I was making a decent income from it for a couple of years. Not exactly selling motor parts & hiring 17 people but ok.

It taught me enough about internet selling to give me the confidence to ditch ebay & set up a website in another field altogether. My husband & I went into manufacturing and also do some re-selling. We now employ a handful of craftsmen and also office staff. We sell 100% on the internet. Re-selling is the easy part really. It is hard to find a niche but that happened by accident when a client asked if we could make a certain product that he couldn't find anywhere. We couldn't but found someone who could & it went from there.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by danfan
...It is hard to find a niche but that happened by accident when a client asked if we could make a certain product that he couldn't find anywhere. We couldn't but found someone who could & it went from there.
If you don't mind me asking..what was it?

yes, i'm a nosey sod
Old May 1st 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
If you don't mind me asking..what was it?

yes, i'm a nosey sod
LOL I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya!

Oh it's nothing exciting. It's small part of a specific kind of metal fencing system. All the stuff we manufacture is metal which is why the client came to us. Actually, from that, we did end up making another part of the system & as far as I know, we are the only people in the world that make it.

And no! I ain't telling what that is. Gotta have some trade secrets
Old May 1st 2007, 10:07 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen my photo in the photopost. I'll go broke
Hell, there's probably a lot of lonely gay guys that would love to bend you over a table....I guess it just depends on whether you like being the 'packer' or the 'packee'.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:09 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Bouncer for Mothercare?
Old May 1st 2007, 10:09 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Test Pilot for Airfix?
Old May 1st 2007, 10:11 pm

Lifeguard at a Birthing Pool?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.