British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Stamped Concrete Patio (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/stamped-concrete-patio-595794/)

silverbirch Mar 6th 2009 9:36 am

Stamped Concrete Patio

Anyone had this done, any drawbacks please, once its done I am stuck with it if it goes t**s up. :unsure:

vauxhallmonterey Mar 6th 2009 9:48 am

Re: Stamped Concrete Patio

Originally Posted by silverbirch (Post 7350972)
Anyone had this done, any drawbacks please, once its done I am stuck with it if it goes t**s up. :unsure:

Generally its called Pic or pattern imprinted concrete. The only place in the world where it is relatively successful is in the states, almost everywhere else it is considered "orrible" and to be avoided like the plague. It is a "once off" get-it-right application that - if not done by a company with extensive experience and who use the best methods of installation, you will be a very unhappy chappie in a very short while. The colours fade, the seal on the top can peel, almost invariably the surface cracks - and it looks totally artificial - please dont try this at home. See www.pavingexpert.com for best advice. Look to do bricking/cobbling/anything else, you wont regret it!!!

Deedee13 Mar 6th 2009 11:24 am

I had my patio done about 18 months ago. Stamped!! And I love it! Its not cracked or peeled, and I am in Michigan. I did get it resealed about a year in, because I wanted a deeper colour to it. But it looks great. I didnt go for brick or pavers because had them before and had problems with some of them sinking when the ground settled.

lisa67 Mar 6th 2009 11:45 am

we had a stamped concrete drive way, (also in Michigan) and when we left it was still in top condition (12 years old). Must be done professionaly though.:)

farmerwife Mar 7th 2009 1:40 am

I had one done about 2 years ago for a large patio area. A 'rock' type pattern with a dark grey/blackish stain. It gets a lot of compliments. The only draw back might be it seems slick when wet, compared with aggregate concrete.

CarrotCruncher Mar 8th 2009 5:20 am

I had a substantial patio, a huge hard standing and paths done in this whilst in the UK. I loved it! The stamped concrete, when done properly, sealed etc is terrific. There were plenty of patterns and colour options, so I drove around and looked at work the company had completed, before making my choice. My ex used to strip and rebuild cars, oil spills were inevitable and a pain when it had been gravel. Never marked the stamped concrete though. If I remember correctly, it was slick for a few months after it was first laid.