Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stamped Concrete Patio

Stamped Concrete Patio

Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough
Default Stamped Concrete Patio

Anyone had this done, any drawbacks please, once its done I am stuck with it if it goes t**s up.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stamped Concrete Patio

Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Anyone had this done, any drawbacks please, once its done I am stuck with it if it goes t**s up.
Generally its called Pic or pattern imprinted concrete. The only place in the world where it is relatively successful is in the states, almost everywhere else it is considered "orrible" and to be avoided like the plague. It is a "once off" get-it-right application that - if not done by a company with extensive experience and who use the best methods of installation, you will be a very unhappy chappie in a very short while. The colours fade, the seal on the top can peel, almost invariably the surface cracks - and it looks totally artificial - please dont try this at home. See www.pavingexpert.com for best advice. Look to do bricking/cobbling/anything else, you wont regret it!!!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my patio done about 18 months ago. Stamped!! And I love it! Its not cracked or peeled, and I am in Michigan. I did get it resealed about a year in, because I wanted a deeper colour to it. But it looks great. I didnt go for brick or pavers because had them before and had problems with some of them sinking when the ground settled.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

we had a stamped concrete drive way, (also in Michigan) and when we left it was still in top condition (12 years old). Must be done professionaly though.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

I had one done about 2 years ago for a large patio area. A 'rock' type pattern with a dark grey/blackish stain. It gets a lot of compliments. The only draw back might be it seems slick when wet, compared with aggregate concrete.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

I had a substantial patio, a huge hard standing and paths done in this whilst in the UK. I loved it! The stamped concrete, when done properly, sealed etc is terrific. There were plenty of patterns and colour options, so I drove around and looked at work the company had completed, before making my choice. My ex used to strip and rebuild cars, oil spills were inevitable and a pain when it had been gravel. Never marked the stamped concrete though. If I remember correctly, it was slick for a few months after it was first laid.