British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   ssn - who needs it - kids? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ssn-who-needs-kids-483679/)

MsElui Sep 26th 2007 3:10 pm

ssn - who needs it - kids?

i just thought of this odd question and hope someone would be able to advise!

obviously my husband and I will need to get a ssn once we arrive - but do i need to get one for the kids too (aged <1 and >3) - ie - will they need them to open a kids savings account or see a doctor or something. Or at what sort of age does it become appropriate to need/have a ssn?

fatbrit Sep 26th 2007 3:13 pm

Re: ssn - who needs it - kids?

As L1 kids, don't think they even qualify till you adjust status. It may cause you a few headaches, but not too many at that age.

penguinsix Sep 26th 2007 3:22 pm

If you are paying US taxes, doesn't every kid need a SSN to be eligible for you to claim them as a deduction? For USCs and GCs that is the case--not sure of the tax status of L1s so I thought I'd just throw it out there.

rew1000 Sep 26th 2007 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5357057)
If you are paying US taxes, doesn't every kid need a SSN to be eligible for you to claim them as a deduction? For USCs and GCs that is the case--not sure of the tax status of L1s so I thought I'd just throw it out there.

You use a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for dependents who aren't eligible for a SSN. Actually getting one is deliberately made to be a complete pain, but it can be done.

MsElui Sep 26th 2007 3:36 pm

on a slightly off topic subject - whilst looking at one of the ssn links someone else posted - i noticed they had a section on the website for social securtiy issues outsde of the US. ie they had a department listed in England (part of grosevnor Sq). Has anyone ever tried getting a ssn from there rather than waiting?

fatbrit Sep 26th 2007 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 5357112)
on a slightly off topic subject - whilst looking at one of the ssn links someone else posted - i noticed they had a section on the website for social securtiy issues outsde of the US. ie they had a department listed in England (part of grosevnor Sq). Has anyone ever tried getting a ssn from there rather than waiting?

That's no use for you. You need to apply here after you've arrived -- wait 2 weeks to ensure that your details have filtered through the system and are sitting in the right database.

mandpete Sep 26th 2007 4:47 pm

My husband (L1) had to wait 2 weeks after arriving before going to the local Social Security office to apply for his SSN. I was refused a SSN until I had my EAD card. As mentioned in a previous reply children of L1 are not entitled to a SSN but for tax purposes they should have a TIN number.

Children do not need SSN to enrol at school, doctors etc.