Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ssn - who needs it - kids?

ssn - who needs it - kids?

Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:10 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default ssn - who needs it - kids?

i just thought of this odd question and hope someone would be able to advise!

obviously my husband and I will need to get a ssn once we arrive - but do i need to get one for the kids too (aged <1 and >3) - ie - will they need them to open a kids savings account or see a doctor or something. Or at what sort of age does it become appropriate to need/have a ssn?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ssn - who needs it - kids?

As L1 kids, don't think they even qualify till you adjust status. It may cause you a few headaches, but not too many at that age.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are paying US taxes, doesn't every kid need a SSN to be eligible for you to claim them as a deduction? For USCs and GCs that is the case--not sure of the tax status of L1s so I thought I'd just throw it out there.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
If you are paying US taxes, doesn't every kid need a SSN to be eligible for you to claim them as a deduction? For USCs and GCs that is the case--not sure of the tax status of L1s so I thought I'd just throw it out there.
You use a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for dependents who aren't eligible for a SSN. Actually getting one is deliberately made to be a complete pain, but it can be done.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:36 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

on a slightly off topic subject - whilst looking at one of the ssn links someone else posted - i noticed they had a section on the website for social securtiy issues outsde of the US. ie they had a department listed in England (part of grosevnor Sq). Has anyone ever tried getting a ssn from there rather than waiting?
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
on a slightly off topic subject - whilst looking at one of the ssn links someone else posted - i noticed they had a section on the website for social securtiy issues outsde of the US. ie they had a department listed in England (part of grosevnor Sq). Has anyone ever tried getting a ssn from there rather than waiting?
That's no use for you. You need to apply here after you've arrived -- wait 2 weeks to ensure that your details have filtered through the system and are sitting in the right database.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My husband (L1) had to wait 2 weeks after arriving before going to the local Social Security office to apply for his SSN. I was refused a SSN until I had my EAD card. As mentioned in a previous reply children of L1 are not entitled to a SSN but for tax purposes they should have a TIN number.

Children do not need SSN to enrol at school, doctors etc.

Last edited by mandpete; Sep 26th 2007 at 4:53 pm.