SSN Queries

Old Jul 10th 2015, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN Queries

Hi I would just like a bit of clarification on how long it take roughly to get one upon arrival? All the posts I've read haven't really made it any clearer. I'm sure I did read somewhere within 10 days we did request to receive them via the DS-260 am I right in thinking that this slows the process down? And it's quicker just to go the local office?
Will this effect sorting out rental property and bank account. I know my wife can't start work without it.

Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2015, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Queries

Originally Posted by Lanyu
Hi I would just like a bit of clarification on how long it take roughly to get one upon arrival? All the posts I've read haven't really made it any clearer. I'm sure I did read somewhere within 10 days we did request to receive them via the DS-260 am I right in thinking that this slows the process down? And it's quicker just to go the local office?
Will this effect sorting out rental property and bank account. I know my wife can't start work without it.

Thanks
I believe rule #1 is don't go too soon to apply. Wait 7-10 days after entering otherwise a manual query takes place, which delays process considerably. So you're looking at 20 or so days minimum to get your SSN.

Not sure why lack of SSN would prevent someone from starting employment. The I-9 can still be completed and the SSN added later. Bank account without SSN is also possible, and rental property will be affected anyways as you would have no credit score.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Will this effect sorting out rental property and bank account. I know my wife can't start work without it. .....
You don't need an SSN for any of those things.

Of course a prospective landlord can't do a credit check but then if you're a new immigrant there won't be anything on the credit report anyway, and you need to find a landlord that understands that. I usually recommend a private landlord, someone who owns the business and who you can actually meet and talk to. Some larger "corporate" landlords and managers of apartments might be willing to work with you, many probably won't. Be prepared to pay addition months of rent in advance.

A SSN or TIN is only required for an interest bearing account. You will need an ID document and a "government issued ID number" - so a passport and passport number will suffice. Unfortunately many bank employees don't understand this and so you might need to ask to speak to a supervisor or manager to get through the process. The requirements for ID and ID# are in the USA PATRIOT Act, and there is no mention of requirement for an SSN, if you need to point that out to the bank staff. :rofl;

You don't need an SSN to start work. It is a common mistaken belief by employers that they can't hire someone who doesn't have an SSN. I started work six days after stepping off the plane, and didn't have an SSN at that time, and I was was working for a major international corporation, not some cash-in-hand casual work.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 10th 2015 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info.

I'm actually thinking of using a credit union. For our current account as there seems to be more of them than banks where we're going and we are quite happy using Nationwide here in the UK.
The agency we are using haven't allowed any of there employees to start work without SSN so in some case they have been doing nothing for a month until they get it. Which I'm not really happy about new country and everything else not knowing how expensive settings up camp will cost it would be good for Mrs to start work after 2 weeks tops really and after such a long wait for visa she's really excited to start.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Agency?
Old Jul 10th 2015, 8:59 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
I believe rule #1 is don't go too soon to apply. Wait 7-10 days after entering otherwise a manual query takes place, which delays process considerably. So you're looking at 20 or so days minimum to get your SSN.

Not sure why lack of SSN would prevent someone from starting employment. The I-9 can still be completed and the SSN added later. Bank account without SSN is also possible, and rental property will be affected anyways as you would have no credit score.

Nonsense I applied for my SSN less than 24 hrs after entering the country. No questions asked.
Old Jul 10th 2015, 9:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Agency?
Nursing (per other posts by the OP).
Old Jul 10th 2015, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doconthemove
Nonsense I applied for my SSN less than 24 hrs after entering the country. No questions asked.
Well, I had read something about the system whereby electronic queries are made about status are not immediately available - and then the application "takes the long route" if you apply too early. I stand corrected then.

Last edited by neill; Jul 10th 2015 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 2:41 am
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of

I waited the 7 days as recommended by the SS office themselves. It actually ended up being 10days because my 7 day wait put me into the weekend. Was no big deal because we had a few wedding things to review

I had no issue though with opening a bank account I was with Bank of America at the time.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 3:32 am
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

this whole 10 day thing was pre-electronic i94. Now you are basically in the system as soon as you leave the airport so really the whole concept is redundant.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 5:40 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I went down to the office a couple of days after landing. Got my SSN a week later in the post. Seems like there's no rhyme or reason to it.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Ok so what's I-94 that's a new one for me I guess it's something that happens at POE.
If we have a transfer in our flight do we hand the pack in there or when we get to final destination.
Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so what's I-94 that's a new one for me I guess it's something that happens at POE.
I-94 is an arrival/departure record: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent....y1!-1676962991

I-94 used to be a card you filled out on the plane and handed in at the POE. It's all done electronically now, but you can go online after you arrive in the USA and print out the I-94.

If we have a transfer in our flight do we hand the pack in there or when we get to final destination.
You will hand the envelope over at the first point of landing in the USA. Then you board your connecting flight to the final destination. Make sure you leave about 2 or 3 hours layover time in between flights, to make it through immigration and still make your connecting flight.

Rene
Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:37 pm

I-94 was the paper ticket that used to be attached in the passports of visitors to the US, and which was collected on departure to verify that those who "arrived" also "left" again and thereby record when they left. The records are now handled entirely electronically, and although the paper tickets were only discontinued a year or two ago, in practice the arrival and departure records had been handled electronically for many years ..... I had an I-94 that wasn't turned in around 2000, but I was never questioned over an "overstay" (I had never actually overstayed).
Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You go through immigration when you first land in the US. It would be wise to allow extra time for any transfer as it can be hard to predict how long your visit to secondary may take.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.