Reload this Page >

SSN number for spouse of L1?

SSN number for spouse of L1?

Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default SSN number for spouse of L1?

Hi,

Another thing I should have researched better before we arrived...

I did a search of the forum under SSN and couldn't find anything that answered it specifically.

As an L1 holder authorised to work, I can obviously obtain an SSN but we have found numerous items where my wife (L2) would also need to have an SSN - auto insurance - maybe the driving test etc. However, the SSA website specifically says that obtaining a driving license isn't a good enough reason in itself to obtain an SSN.

So.... what would be the best way of getting her an SSN? Does she need to apply for an EAD first perhaps or could she go to SS and say that she intends to apply for EAD?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:25 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN number for spouse of L1?

she is entitled for an ssn as an L2 - no other reason is required. i got one at least a year before i got an EAD. she will need to take her visa docs and marriage cert to the ssn office.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few threads that can be found on this topic. Just use the search function:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=L1+spouse+SSN
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:36 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dougster75;7645353]Hi,
As an L1 holder authorised to work, I can obviously obtain an SSN but we have found numerous items where my wife (L2) would also need to have an SSN - auto insurance - maybe the driving test etc. However, the SSA website specifically says that obtaining a driving license isn't a good enough reason in itself to obtain an SSN.

Don't listen to everything that says she HAS to have an SSN - it's not true - Auto Insurance being a classic example. I've emailed you the details though regarding application process.

QUOTE]
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
she is entitled for an ssn as an L2 - no other reason is required. i got one at least a year before i got an EAD. she will need to take her visa docs and marriage cert to the ssn office.
Ditto - I'm on an L2 and my husband and I both went along to the SSN office when we got here and both got our numbers. In fact, my card arrived a couple of weeks later and hubby's didn't arrive for about 5 weeks.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Don't listen to everything that says she HAS to have an SSN - it's not true - Auto Insurance being a classic example. I've emailed you the details though regarding application process.
true - but it makes life ten times easier if you can just give it - otherwise the americans just cant seem to compute that you dont have one and you have to endlessly explain it over and over every time. ssn is quick and simple.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:41 pm

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

true - but it makes life ten times easier if you can just give it - otherwise the americans just cant seem to compute that you dont have one and you have to endlessly explain it over and over every time. ssn is quick and simple.
Yeah, agreed - how often I was tempted to give a false number on irrelevant things that I knew wouldn't be cross checked, just to have the smug satisfaction that they didn't really need it!!! Have got over that now though
Old Jun 8th 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Thanks all... I would just like to double-check on her being able to do this purely being an L2 in case maybe something has changed since above posters did theirs. The guidance notes for completing the SS app say:

"If you check 'Legal Alien NOT allowed to work' you must provide a document from a US Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all the requirements for the U.S. Government benefit...."

Would the L2 be enough for this? I'm assuming that she would need an EAD?

Appreciate thoughts.

Cheers,

Doug.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine less than a year ago - July last year. I don't think things have changed since then.

I can't remember exactly what I put for that question and I don't have a copy of the form I filled out (I'll never make the AR club!).

I do remember that we had no problem at all, and I definitely did not have anything to say why I needed an SSN, nor did I wait until I had my EAD.

Have you already tried to get a number for your wife and run into problems?
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Thanks all... I would just like to double-check on her being able to do this purely being an L2 in case maybe something has changed since above posters did theirs. The guidance notes for completing the SS app say:

"If you check 'Legal Alien NOT allowed to work' you must provide a document from a US Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all the requirements for the U.S. Government benefit...."

Would the L2 be enough for this? I'm assuming that she would need an EAD?

Appreciate thoughts.

Cheers,

Doug.
The item you quote from the instructions is what is messing you up. An L-2 *is* a legal alien allowed to work.. allowed to apply for a work permit and eventually work, that is.

Compared to an H-4 for example, who is a legal alien NOT allowed to work. Evah.

Only the L-2 spouse can get an EAD (and therefore a SSN). Other L-2 dependents can not.
Absent her EAD, she must present the marriage certificate + your L-1 to show that she is an L-2 spouse.
Here's the SSA guideline on it; hopefully it will help and not confuse.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
The item you quote from the instructions is what is messing you up. An L-2 *is* a legal alien allowed to work.. allowed to apply for a work permit and eventually work, that is.

Compared to an H-4 for example, who is a legal alien NOT allowed to work. Evah.

Only the L-2 spouse can get an EAD (and therefore a SSN). Other L-2 dependents can not.
Absent her EAD, she must present the marriage certificate + your L-1 to show that she is an L-2 spouse.
Here's the SSA guideline on it; hopefully it will help and not confuse.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
Seconded! To apply for an EAD the L2 needs to have the L1's SS number to hand. The SS gained without an EAD will not allow the L2 holder to work, it will simply allow them to fill in boxes on forms!!! If the SS is gained by the L2 and they then apply for an EAD, they will need to revisit the SS office to update their SS card to show that they are now eligible to work. Clear as mud??
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It also makes it more likely that you will be a victim of identity theft. Doctors/dentists etc always seem to ask for an ssn, but I now decline to give them one unless they have a very good reason for wanting it. Wanting to use the ssn as an identifier isn't a good enough reason in my book.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:16 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It also makes it more likely that you will be a victim of identity theft. Doctors/dentists etc always seem to ask for an ssn, but I now decline to give them one unless they have a very good reason for wanting it. Wanting to use the ssn as an identifier isn't a good enough reason in my book.
You rebel, you!
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Seconded! To apply for an EAD the L2 needs to have the L1's SS number to hand. The SS gained without an EAD will not allow the L2 holder to work, it will simply allow them to fill in boxes on forms!!! If the SS is gained by the L2 and they then apply for an EAD, they will need to revisit the SS office to update their SS card to show that they are now eligible to work. Clear as mud??
er, still muddy.

The L-2 does not need her L-1's SSN to apply for her own. By virtue of having the L-2 visa + I-94, she is eligible for the SSN.

The SS card received will have the legend 'not employment authorized without DHS permission' or similar. That legend means that IF the L-2 shows her SS card for being hired, the employer must ask to see her EAD (which is the permission from DHS).

There is no need to go back and get an updated SS card until the person becomes a Permanent Resident (green card); the SS card legend won't change.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:58 pm

You make far more sense than I do Meauxna!

Originally Posted by meauxna
The L-2 does not need her L-1's SSN to apply for her own. By virtue of having the L-2 visa + I-94, she is eligible for the SSN. I understood the L2 needs to have the L1s SSN for the EAD application, which is what I meant, rather than for the SSN application itself. is that incorrect?

There is no need to go back and get an updated SS card until the person becomes a Permanent Resident (green card); the SS card legend won't change. We always encourage people to go back and get the corrected SS card so that there is no confusion if they hit a particularly bureaucratic preson/process

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.