Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN - Needed to Start L1B Appointment?

SSN - Needed to Start L1B Appointment?

Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN - Needed to Start L1B Appointment?

Hi there.

I am moving to the US on an L1 on Sunday, and then I was planning to start work a week on Monday.

However, my company has never moved anyone before, and someone in HR has mentioned that I probably wont be able to start work without a SSN.

Is this right. I'd never seen anybody mention this on the forum before, and my first response is that it is wrong.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN - Needed to Start L1B Appointment?

As far as I know, that's crap.

Why do I say this?

Because I started work for my company without an SSN.

I'm here on an L1 too.

My company does a bunch of L1 moves each year...

You apply for your SSN after being in country for 2 weeks (10 working days) and then it takes a few weeks to come through.

Banks etc usually need your SSN within 90 days of starting to use your accounts otherwise they freeze any interest-related transactions - they need your SSN primarily for tax reporting purposes...

If you like, I can speak to one of our HR people directly, and get some overview or advice that might help your HR people get their heads around it - few things are simple the first time, especially where the government is involved!

Good luck with the move & job!

Cheers

Harry
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
As far as I know, that's crap.

Why do I say this?

Because I started work for my company without an SSN.

I'm here on an L1 too.

My company does a bunch of L1 moves each year...

You apply for your SSN after being in country for 2 weeks (10 working days) and then it takes a few weeks to come through.

Banks etc usually need your SSN within 90 days of starting to use your accounts otherwise they freeze any interest-related transactions - they need your SSN primarily for tax reporting purposes...

If you like, I can speak to one of our HR people directly, and get some overview or advice that might help your HR people get their heads around it - few things are simple the first time, especially where the government is involved!

Good luck with the move & job!

Cheers

Harry
Thanks for the offer. I think I may just reach out to the lawyer the company used and they can let them know. I think all I need is an I-9, so they need to see my I94+passport/ visa and my I-797.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbedford
Thanks for the offer. I think I may just reach out to the lawyer the company used and they can let them know. I think all I need is an I-9, so they need to see my I94+passport/ visa and my I-797.
Yup - hadn't thought of that - seems like the sensible next step!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 4:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbedford
and someone in HR has mentioned
I'd place more credence on A bloke in a bar told me...

You need to be able to complete an I-9 to start employment. The choice of documents is yours, not theirs.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I think some companies think you can't start working since their computer system (payroll, health insurance, etc.) can't process you without a social security number. I'm not quite sure how they get around that problem but suspect a temporary (made up) social security number is used that processes everything but the computer recognizes it as a temporary number and does not do things like sending tax withholdings to the IRS until your real social security number is updated.

A lot of companies use ADP to process payroll for their employees and suspect that ADP has a system in place to process payroll for employees that do not yet have their social security number. I suspect the same is true for health insurance companies even though a social security number is not required by law for health insurance but may possibly be used to match the employee to benefits for internal purposes.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The company has 90 days to get a SSN off you, so you're good to start work without it. You're even good to get paid without it, but without it, they'll take the maximum amount of taxes out of the pay cheque, which you can adjust once you get your SSN.

How did the person in HR get the job if they are so inept at HR requirements in the first place?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I think some companies think you can't start working since their computer system (payroll, health insurance, etc.) can't process you without a social security number. I'm not quite sure how they get around that problem but suspect a temporary (made up) social security number is used that processes everything but the computer recognizes it as a temporary number and does not do things like sending tax withholdings to the IRS until your real social security number is updated.
In that situation, they, along with banks, insurance companies etc, etc are meant to use 000-00-004 as a SSN until a real one can be provided. This number is designated johnny foreigner who hasn't been given a real number yet.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
How did the person in HR get the job if they are so inept at HR requirements in the first place?
Because HR stands for Human Remains.

Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In that situation, they, along with banks, insurance companies etc, etc are meant to use 000-00-004 as a SSN until a real one can be provided. This number is designated johnny foreigner who hasn't been given a real number yet.
Ok, so that is how it is done so that computer programs know how to handle that situation.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
The company has 90 days to get a SSN off you, so you're good to start work without it. You're even good to get paid without it, but without it, they'll take the maximum amount of taxes out of the pay cheque, which you can adjust once you get your SSN.

So it appears the company withholds the maximum amount but doesn't send it to the IRS until you receive your social security number since the IRS has to keep track of any money sent to them based on a social security number so that when you file year end taxes or ever receive social security benefits, those taxes can be taken into account.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by 100weight
Because HR stands for Human Remains.

Yes, well there is that
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Michael
So it appears the company withholds the maximum amount but doesn't send it to the IRS until you receive your social security number since the IRS has to keep track of any money sent to them based on a social security number so that when you file year end taxes or ever receive social security benefits, those taxes can be taken into account.
Yes. That is what is supposed to happen, so those first pay cheques can feel a bit light, but as the company is holding the money, they should be able to re-adjust the following post SSN pay, though I'm sure most would probably just file it and make you do the tax claim for any over paid taxes at tax time.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:41 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's employers used a 'dummy' SSN until he had his real one.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Had a SSN obviously!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.