Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN for L2 Children

SSN for L2 Children

Old Apr 4th 2019, 10:57 am
Just Joined

UKtoCT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN for L2 Children

Hi, first time filing taxes and the tax benefit for children who have a SSN is $2000, but only $500 for those that have ITINs.

Does anyone know if my children are applicable for SSN as opposed to an ITIN?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN for L2 Children

My understanding is that the children are not eligible for SSN.

Rene
Old Apr 4th 2019, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, only an ITIN, and the Tax Credit is indeed changed for 2018 Taxes due to the changes that came into effect at the start of the year. You can claim a credit for University tuition fees if that is applicable to your children, but if not, you have indeed lost a previously applicable tax break.
Old Apr 4th 2019, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

UKtoCT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. i'll start the green card process to get these in time for 2020 tax returns!
Old Apr 4th 2019, 5:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKtoCT
Thanks for the responses. i'll start the green card process to get these in time for 2020 tax returns!
They can get their social security numbers asa they have an employment authorization document. They don't have to wait for the actual green card.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

IanJudge is an unknown quantity at this point

My (company supplied) CPA deleted the $500 for my children as he says that we're not eligible for that unless my wife also earns.

Company don't want to sponsor GC until last year of last visa extension.

It was an unpleasant surprise and the refund would have gone into our rainy day fund. Glad I didn't go down the "don't give the government a free loan" route otherwise I'd have a large bill to pay (plus penalties for not paying >80%)

Would live to know how to get EAD, thought children couldn't work at all on L2
Old Apr 7th 2019, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IanJudge
Would live to know how to get EAD, thought children couldn't work at all on L2
You are correct, the children cannot work at all on an L-2 visa. The application for EAD would come as part of the Adjustment of Status filing package, whenever the company gets around to doing that for you.

Rene