Wikiposts

SSN Issue

Old Dec 10th 2018, 10:47 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN Issue

I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else on here has had any past issues getting their SSN and if so how they resolved things.

On the 30th October 2018 after being in the US for 22 days I decided to go to the Social Security office to start the ball rolling on getting my SSN. On getting to the window and handing over my passport and I-94 the lady who was processing my info said that I was on the system twice, once under the correct name as seen out on my passport, the second one my correct name but in the wrong order. She tried 4 different ways on her system to see if she could rectify it but alas not and said that she would have to take photocopies and send them off to Homeland Security for them to sort out. I was told it would take roughly 4 weeks. Over 4 weeks passed so I called USCIS who then told me to call SAVE, who then told me to call SSA, who then told me to call my local SSO (that took all afternoon in itself).

When I spoke to my local SSO who dealt with they said that they would re-send everything off again and to call back in a weeks time, so today (and 6 weeks after initially going into the office) I called back to chase things up, still nothing... I was told today that my I-94 was still in the process to be verified and to call back again in a weeks time, when asked if there is a case number or identification number to track the process they said that they do not have one, apparently their computer interfaces with Immigration and they get the answer through electronically. I called SAVE up again today to see if they can see any trace of this on their systems but they said no and to call the SSA (again) who have no access to any of this info either (this took around 3 hours due to being on hold). I'm guessing all is being done through my local office but it's frustrating being left in limbo, if anyone has had SSN issues in the past it would be interesting to hear how it was dealt with etc.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 11:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Issue

My alien husband had to go through manual verification. It took about 6 weeks to go through that process, plus 2 weeks for the card to arrive in the mail. We never called to chase it down, we just waited.

What visa did you enter the USA on?

Rene
Old Dec 10th 2018, 11:22 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My alien husband had to go through manual verification. It took about 6 weeks to go through that process, plus 2 weeks for the card to arrive in the mail. We never called to chase it down, we just waited.

What visa did you enter the USA on?

Rene
I entered on a K1.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 11:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well your time is nearly up since you wanted 22 days to apply first off and now another month plus has passed and the I-94 is only good for 90 days and SSA will not issue a social security card/number for a K-1 with less than a few weeks left on the I-94. Being, however, that you applied in ample time, you should be fine.

You're not the only one to have encounter problems with SSA. My husband did as well as Rene's husband and many others who have used the forum between our time and yours. The first SSA office refused hubby a social security card. Said he wasn't eligible for only a K-1. Went to a second and said he was eligible but that he was listed as R-1 instead of K-1 and had to be verified. Guess someone with poor handwriting wrote a K like a R. Since you won't be able to work until you get your EAD and you won't be eligible in many states for a driver's license until you get the EAD and/or green card (as you have not applied for either as of yet), you have plenty of time to follow up on this problem.

Don't mean to sound blasé or cruel, but them there are the facts.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 10th 2018 at 12:12 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 1:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably too late now but it is the i94 that is the issue. I would go back to the POE and tell them the issue and ask them to correct it. Then hopefully, SSA can move forward.

If you look in the visa/immigration forum here you will see that I posted about this a few days ago.
How to correct i94 if necessary
Old Dec 10th 2018, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Would contacting one of your Senator's offices be helpful? They'll have an office staffer who could reach out to social security office for you.
Sen Ed Markey

https://www.markey.senate.gov/services/help
Old Dec 11th 2018, 12:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It's probably too late now but it is the i94 that is the issue. I would go back to the POE and tell them the issue and ask them to correct it. Then hopefully, SSA can move forward.

If you look in the visa/immigration forum here you will see that I posted about this a few days ago.
How to correct i94 if necessary
It might not be the I-94. It sounds as if the name was entered in the formal manner, surname and then first name, and then again in the style of first name, surname.

He can check to see if he has an I-94 online and if that is a problem, attempt to rectify it at that time.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:07 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It might not be the I-94. It sounds as if the name was entered in the formal manner, surname and then first name, and then again in the style of first name, surname.

He can check to see if he has an I-94 online and if that is a problem, attempt to rectify it at that time.
"On getting to the window and handing over my passport and I-94 the lady who was processing my info said that I was on the system twice, once under the correct name as seen out on my passport, the second one my correct name but in the wrong order. She tried 4 different ways on her system to see if she could rectify it but alas not and said that she would have to take photocopies and send them off to Homeland Security for them to sort out."

The CBP border guard enters the info for the i94. Then everything goes to SAVE automatically. If the information in SAVE is incorrect, then the CBP border guard at POE entered it incorrectly and they are the ones to correct it. Honestly an email/phone call to the POE deferred inspection site may well get everything sorted out in a few hours. https://www.cbp.gov/document/guidanc...spection-sites

If this isn't corrected then any federal/state organisation that needs to check his immigration status is going to have a problem. I don't know if SSA can correct the SAVE /i94 entry .
Old Dec 11th 2018, 2:56 am
Austin. TX.

not an expert Rete. But I've had to sort out six i94s in the last 2 weeks alone. Many emails and phone calls later and they are all done.

If you cannot get the i94 corrected (and this is the quickest remedy available) you can also log into SAVE and see if your case is outstanding there -https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck
From past experience, something along the lines of "returned to Maryland SSA" means that SAVE has done what it can manually and has returned a reply to social security office, it doesn't mean it's all sorted out though, it just means that they have completed their process.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Dec 11th 2018 at 4:29 am.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 5:11 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

My I-94 does has my name correct on it as I double checked the info on it yesterday just to be sure. The lady who I dealt with in the office re-sent my info off to Homeland Security for them to sort out there end as she tried to correct it but could not.

I have been on the SAVE website but without a case number I cannot check up on anything, I have asked the SSO if there was a case number open for this and she said no, they just have to wait on a reply from Immigration to say they can issue a SSN or not.
Old Dec 11th 2018, 10:38 am
Austin. TX.

Rete - I seem to be writing this a fair few times lately on this site. One of the great things about this forum is that you will get a range of answers/solutions/opinions. In the end, it is up to the OP or the person reading to decide which one(s) to follow up on. I don't disparage you Rete and I wish that you would keep your snarky comments to yourself, not post them on the forum and not send them as karma either.
have a lovely evening.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 10:12 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
not an expert Rete. But I've had to sort out six i94s in the last 2 weeks alone. Many emails and phone calls later and they are all done.

If you cannot get the i94 corrected (and this is the quickest remedy available) you can also log into SAVE and see if your case is outstanding there -https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck
From past experience, something along the lines of "returned to Maryland SSA" means that SAVE has done what it can manually and has returned a reply to social security office, it doesn't mean it's all sorted out though, it just means that they have completed their process.
OK, so I took your advice and found where I can trace the case, it states...

Case Status

Case Returned to Agency

Description

SAVE has returned your case to Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon).

What Do I Do Next?

Please contact Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon) to get more information about your case status.

Looks like I shall be contacting the Maryland office in the morning. On looking at my I-94 again, where it states my first name they have also put my middle name AFTER my first name, could this be the issue perhaps as it only states 'First (Given) Name' on the form.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 10:24 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Trilo
OK, so I took your advice and found where I can trace the case, it states...Case Status

Case Returned to AgencyDescription

SAVE has returned your case to Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon).What Do I Do Next?

Please contact Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon) to get more information about your case status.

Looks like I shall be contacting the Maryland office in the morning. On looking at my I-94 again, where it states my first name they have also put my middle name AFTER my first name, could this be the issue perhaps as it only states 'First (Given) Name' on the form.
The i94 details MUST match up for the SSA/SAVE. so yes, get that corrected here's how:
How to correct i94

The message that SAVE has returned your case to Maryland just means that SAVE have completed their process, not that it has been solved! You can try calling Maryland SSA but they're not usually very helpful, even if they answer the phone.
Once you can see that the i94 is correct on the website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home I would return to the SS office you originally went to, telling them that the i94 was incorrect on the first visit, take the corrected i94 and see if they can get it through the system for you
Old Dec 13th 2018, 11:25 am
Concierge

It is not unusual for your social security card and for your green card to have all three names, first, middle and surname. My social security card has all three names since it was first issued 44 years ago. Only the surname has changed over the years. One of the reasons why they include the middle name is because first and surnames are oft times held by many people in the US and the use of the middle name on the card(s) helps to identify it has your card.

The SS-5 form that you complete for a social security card asks for your middle name, so if it appears on your I-94, there is no problem there. Middle names do go after the first name unless you are saying there is no space between your first and middle names.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 13th 2018 at 11:31 am.
Old Dec 13th 2018, 11:39 am
Austin. TX.

Hi Rete,I know you are right about middle names on the GC and on the ss card, but on the i94 there is only space for first and last names. So, and I'm guessing here.... if the i94 has say ReteElizabeth as the first name and then the SSA people enter just Rete, as first name, it won't match up to ReteElizabeth and it won't/can't verify immigration status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.