SSN grief

Old Jun 26th 2002, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

craiglester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN grief

OK.. I should have known better than to assume it would all go smoothly...

Yesterday I went to the Lakewood, Colorado Social Security office to apply for my SSN..

Took with me, as per the SSA website...

Completed application form, Passport, I-94 and my 90 day EAD i got last week from the Denver INS office..

Handed the form in and the guy typed in my A number and then took the form and my documents to make copies.. then when he handed them back.. told me it would be 10-12 weeks for INS Verification...!

I pointed out the INS had already issued me the EAD (which of course would be almost expired by the time the INS verification came through)

Is the 90 day EAD not considered to be good enough? and what else can the INS offer that they havent already seen...

I mentioned the 30 day "rule" where theyre suppose to issue the number but he would not budge...

Also, he wouldnt give me the form back so I could try elsewhere, and refused point blank to give me a reciept for the application...

Any suggestions as to how I might get some action on this?

I'm supposed to be getting married in just over 3 weeks and the clerk at the courthouse says i need the SSN to get a marriage license...

apart from that I cant open a bank account, or work.. and I'm beginning to feel a bit guilty sitting around while my fiance goes out working while I sit at home twiddling my thumbs..

so, if ANYONE has any advice... I'd love to hear it

thanks in advance

Craig Lester