Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN and Driving Test

SSN and Driving Test

Old Jan 18th 2016, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

olly_sheppard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN and Driving Test

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong place, this is my first post.

I'm moving to LA in a weeks time. I know I need to apply for my SSN after 10 days of residency but also need to supposedly have my CA driving license within 10 days of being a resident.

I'm moving on an L1 visa and have a full UK license.

From what I can see I need my SSN to take my test - I've also been advised that it can take a few weeks to arrive.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of how I can make this work? I will need to drive around a lot for my job and don't really want to use UBER too much initially although this may be the only option.

Thanks
Olly

PS - everyone is telling me the US driving test is really easy....?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN and Driving Test

Originally Posted by olly_sheppard
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong place, this is my first post.

I'm moving to LA in a weeks time. I know I need to apply for my SSN after 10 days of residency but also need to supposedly have my CA driving license within 10 days of being a resident.

I'm moving on an L1 visa and have a full UK license.

From what I can see I need my SSN to take my test - I've also been advised that it can take a few weeks to arrive.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of how I can make this work? I will need to drive around a lot for my job and don't really want to use UBER too much initially although this may be the only option.

Thanks
Olly

PS - everyone is telling me the US driving test is really easy....?
Even though the rules apply to EVERYONE - in most cases if you prove you could not have reasonably applied and received a CA driving license because of X (i.e. not have SSN card yet etc) then that is perfectly fine, and continuing to drive on your UK license is also fine. If you are EVER punished for this rule, the appeal process is fairly easy, but the chances of a jobsworth punishing you for something that is impossible to comply with is extremely small anyway. Just get it done as quickly as reasonably possible and you will be fine.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a SSN to take the test (take a print out of your I94 and of course your passport). The test is indeed very easy but be careful as they have some stupid rules that might trip you up if you've been driving for many years:
- Look over your shoulder for every turn and lane change.
- Drive to the speed limit (not likely to be too much of an issue in LA!)
- Turn right on red if the option occurs (after coming to a dead stop and checking that there are no 'no turn on red' signs. Remember some of these signs have time slots for when they apply).
- At stop signs come to a dead halt (make sure your wheels lock).
- Remember that the test is still running when you get back into the DMV car park. Obey all road markings in the car park!

I wasn't required to do any reverse parking/3 point turns etc. Just reverse backwards for about 3 seconds (!!).

For the written test, just read the handbook (takes about an hour). The test is multiple choice. It's mostly self explanatory but again they are some things that are specific to the US (like when in fog, the correct action is to pull over at the side of the road and turn off your lights...WTF?). Memorise the blood alcohol limits as this is always one of the questions. You can download the book online for free or get a copy at the DMV. You can also watch videos on youtube of driving tests for preparation.

Good luck!
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini
Even though the rules apply to EVERYONE - in most cases if you prove you could not have reasonably applied and received a CA driving license because of X (i.e. not have SSN card yet etc) then that is perfectly fine, and continuing to drive on your UK license is also fine. ..... Just get it done as quickly as reasonably possible and you will be fine.
This. Just get it done as soon as you reasonably can, which probably depends on the wait time for the road test, so get to point where you can book the road test, then carry evidence that you're just waiting for the test.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I recently took my test in Santa Monica, the test waiting time was 2 weeks, so as Mr P says, book it as soon as possible, so you can prove you've put it in progress

The test is appallingly easy!

I did the written test, the day I applied, its actually multiple choice and once again so easy a blind, one legged chimpanzee could pass it
Old Jan 19th 2016, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst you are still a 'visitor' you can drive on your UK licence. There is no time limit for that. It's only once you become 'resident' must you have a CA license within 10 days.

But what constitutes residence is appallingly badly defined. There are different definitions in different parts of the DMVs own documentation. You will find that even people at the DMV don't know what the rules are, or when the 10 day clock starts ticking.

So as everyone says, get the CA license as soon as practical - but don't worry about driving on a UK license in the meantime.

And yes - the driving test is a complete joke. It is worth spending an hour or two swatting up for the theory test. Most of it is common sense but there is some crud about maximum allowable trailer weights and things like that. The pass mark is so low you could pass by just making a few guesses - but it never hurts to aim for 100%

Oh and swat up on hand signals. For some reason they like to test you on what are the hand signals in case your indicators fail.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 7:19 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
You don't need a SSN to take the test (take a print out of your I94 and of course your passport).
This.

California New License Application Info | DMV.org

I got my license some 7 years before I got a SSN.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

olly_sheppard is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks. So basically just book it as soon as I can to show I'm making the effort to do so. I can do that!

Thanks!