SSN Delays?

Old Aug 13th 2002, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jenn & Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy SSN Delays?

Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved over here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well he's been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep telling him that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work, but he can't be hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a few interviews as well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he gets the SSN.
Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting their SSN lately and how long it took.
Thanks for any input!!!!
Jenn & Ben
Old Aug 13th 2002, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: SSN Delays?

Hi you two,
Bad news eh !
I phoned the SSOffice just up the road to you in Fredericksburg
last week, I spoke to a girl who seemed really clued in.
She even went into her computer and said "you are not in field yet" which I took to mean that I'm not in the system.
Anyway, she said that if I go in there, I should get my SSN withing a couple of weeks, as soon as they have clearance from the INS.
She even gave me her name to ask for when I get there, as
she seemed "up on" ..."Alien Spouses Visas"
That's a shame if Ben is getting job offers, hopefully the
employers will wait, and that it's not much longer.
On a happier note, did you find a "venue" for your wedding
in NC ?
and...where's my invite ;o)

Roger

Originally posted by Jenn & Ben:
Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved over here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well he's been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep telling him that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work, but he can't be hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a few interviews as well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he gets the SSN.
Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting their SSN lately and how long it took.
Thanks for any input!!!!
Jenn & Ben
Old Aug 13th 2002, 8:49 pm
Georgesgirl35

Hi Sorry your having delays.Im in Tennessee and i called two days after applying
and got my number over the phone then 5 days later got my card.I dont know whether
different offices have different procedures or whether its just down to your local
INS being slow in putting your EAD info on the computer. Hope you get it all
sorted out soon.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 9:44 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: SSN Delays?

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
Hi you two,
Bad news eh !
I phoned the SSOffice just up the road to you in Fredericksburg

<snip>

She even gave me her name to ask for when I get there, as she seemed "up on" ..."Alien Spouses Visas" That's a shame if Ben is getting job offers, hopefully the employers will wait, and that it's not much longer.

Roger
Is it possible to go to *any* SS office? Kind of like you can go to any Virginia DMV to get a VA drivers license. I could be completely wrong, so don't hold me to it!!

But if I'm *not* wrong, maybe Roger could give Jenn & Ben the location of the Fredericksburg SS office along with the name of this contact person. It might be worth the 45-min drive from Richmond to check it out!!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:58 pm
Michael D. Young

Jenn &amp; Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved over
    > here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that
    > sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well he's
    > been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep telling him
    > that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work, but he can't be
    > hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a few interviews as
    > well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he gets the SSN. Just
    > wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting their SSN lately and how
    > long it took. Thanks for any input!!!! Jenn & Ben

Hi All!

Since, July 01,2002 SSA offices are supposed to verify the status of all aliens
applying for SSNs. If they can verify your status using the online system that
connects to INS you are OK, but if they need to send an G-845 to INS to verify your
status it could be a while.

The other thing is they will not issue a SSN if the person is within 14 days of being
out of status, so K-1s really only have 76 days to get their SSN, Plus if the send
off to INS to verify your status and it comes back when you are within 14 days of
being out of status, you are SOL.

Take care,

Mike

Old Aug 13th 2002, 10:59 pm
Shonokin

Jenney & Mark wrote:
    > Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
    >>Hi you two, Bad news eh ! I phoned the SSOffice just up the road to you in
    >>Fredericksburg
    >>She even gave me her name to ask for when I get there, as she seemed "up on"
    >>..."Alien Spouses Visas" That's a shame if Ben is getting job offers, hopefully the
    >>employers will wait, and that it's not much longer.
    >>Roger
    > Is it possible to go to *any* SS office? Kind of like you can go to any
    > Virginia DMV to get a VA drivers license. I could be completely wrong, so don't
    > hold me to it!!

I don't think it matters as we went to a SSN office in Missouri. All of our INS
stuff is being processed in California. Just make sure to have your passport/ K-1
visa and I-94. (if you're on a K-1)

> But if I'm *not* wrong, maybe Roger could give Jenn & Ben the location of the
    > Fredericksburg SS office along with the name of this contact person. It might be
    > worth the 45-min drive from Richmond to check it out!!
    > ~ Jenney
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

--
Dan Ross - The Voice of the Mountains
http://www.manlywadewellman.com

Old Aug 14th 2002, 1:25 pm
Michael D. Young

[email protected] (Michael D. Young) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi All!
    > Since, July 01,2002 SSA offices are supposed to verify the status of all aliens
    > applying for SSNs. If they can verify your status using the online system that
    > connects to INS you are OK, but if they need to send an G-845 to INS to verify your
    > status it could be a while.
    > The other thing is they will not issue a SSN if the person is within 14 days of
    > being out of status, so K-1s really only have 76 days to get their SSN, Plus if
    > the send off to INS to verify your status and it comes back when you are within 14
    > days of being out of status, you are SOL.

Hi All!

If you want this info send an e-mail to SSA at:

http://ssa.cu-
sthelp.com/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Click on the "Ask a Question" tab and fill out the online form:

Provide your postal address and request a copy of EM-02091.

Take care,

Mike

Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:29 pm
Dataangel

Jenn &amp; Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved over
    > here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that
    > sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well he's
    > been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep telling him
    > that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work, but he can't be
    > hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a few interviews as
    > well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he gets the SSN. Just
    > wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting their SSN lately and how
    > long it took. Thanks for any input!!!! Jenn & Ben

Ian had no trouble getting his SSN. He didn't get a temporary EAD when he came into
the US, so we just waited until he got his work authorization card. He went to the
local (Baltimore Maryland) Social Security office, showed them his work auth' card
and passport, driver's license, and birth certificate. They only asked for his EAD
card and his passport. He got his Social Security card in the mail seven days (about
5 work days) later.

Every office really is different. :\ I hope your guy gets his soon, and it's great
to see he's got job offers. Ian hasn't been so lucky.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 4:44 pm
Tanners

I just got my K3 last month and went to get my EAD in MN yesterday. I got the card
the same day (also filed for AOS) then we headed to the SSN office and applied the
the SSN (it's the only thing that's FREE!). They said the card would be in the mail
within 7 days and she gave me a 1-800 number to call after midnight (7am - 7pm) to
get my number over the phone. I did and it worked. I know have my SSN. This was
all done in MN.

[email protected] (DataAngel) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Jenn &amp; Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Is anyone else experiencing LONG delays in getting a new SSN? my fiance moved
    > > over here about a month ago and immediately filed for his SSN, and we'd read that
    > > sometimes people can call soon after to get their number over the phone. well
    > > he's been calling pretty frequently (several times per week) and they keep
    > > telling him that it may take a few months! he's already gotten his EAD to work,
    > > but he can't be hired without a SSN. it's very frustrating! he's already had a
    > > few interviews as well, and companies want to hire him, but cannot do so until he
    > > gets the SSN. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any luck in getting
    > > their SSN lately and how long it took. Thanks for any input!!!! Jenn & Ben
    > Ian had no trouble getting his SSN. He didn't get a temporary EAD when he came
    > into the US, so we just waited until he got his work authorization card. He went
    > to the local (Baltimore Maryland) Social Security office, showed them his work
    > auth' card and passport, driver's license, and birth certificate. They only asked
    > for his EAD card and his passport. He got his Social Security card in the mail
    > seven days (about 5 work days) later.
    > Every office really is different. :\ I hope your guy gets his soon, and it's great
    > to see he's got job offers. Ian hasn't been so lucky.

Old Aug 20th 2002, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Re: SSN Delays?

we are so frustrated and annoyed with the social security administration! it's been about a month now, since ben applied for his new number, and every day he calls and they keep telling him it will be about 8-12 weeks total! he even wrote an email to them asking why it was taking so long, when others that we know are getting their new numbers in a week or less, and they wrote back saying it's because he's not authorized to work!! well he IS authorized to work, because he got his EAD card the same day he applied for the SSN!! maybe it's just the norfolk SSA office that is so backwards? i suggested to ben that he go down to the richmond SSA office and re-apply, as someone on here suggested. i figure it surely couldn't hurt at this point.
just had to vent.....grr.....
i guess this is what we get for having everything else go so smoothly with the vermont service center!
thanks for all the replies,
jenn & ben
Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:03 am
Mrpher

[email protected] (Tanners) wrote in
    > They said the card would be in the mail within 7 days and she gave me a 1-800
    > number to call after midnight (7am - 7pm) to get my number over the phone. I did
    > and it worked. I know have my SSN. This was all done in MN.

If you dont mind could you post what that 1-800 number is. We asked about that and
the lady we talked too basically said we were crazy for thinking that and to wait
until it comes in the mail.

Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

The SSA number is: 1-800-772-1213
have you been waiting long as well to get your number?? if so,
how long?
Jenn & Ben
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you dont mind could you post what that 1-800 number is. We asked about that and
the lady we talked too basically said we were crazy for thinking that and to wait
until it comes in the mail.
[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Talking GOT IT!!

YAY!! After one month, Ben finally got his social security number over the phone, the card is supposed to arrive next week (so they say). Thanks for all the replies and support!
Jenn & Ben
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: GOT IT!!

Originally posted by Jenn &amp; Ben:
YAY!! After one month, Ben finally got his social security number over the phone, the card is supposed to arrive next week (so they say). Thanks for all the replies and support!
Jenn & Ben

Congratulations Y'All now he can go an earn his keep )
A day for good news, I've just exchanged contracts on my house, booked the flights and will be on next Thursday
Virgin Atlantic flight to Washington.......Whoopeeeee
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: GOT IT!!

thanks, roger! congrats to you as well!!! i know ida can't wait to see you again!!! lots of lost time to make up for.....
please let us know when you get settled and we'll meet up somewhere. ok?
take care!!!!

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:

Congratulations Y'All now he can go an earn his keep )
A day for good news, I've just exchanged contracts on my house, booked the flights and will be on next Thursday
Virgin Atlantic flight to Washington.......Whoopeeeee