SSN

Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough
Default SSN

Guys,

quick one...

When I go to the SSN office to get my card go they give me the number straight away while I wait for my card?

If not do I get anything that I can give to banks etc?

Thanks.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN

Usually you get the card a few weeks later, but you can go back asking for the number a week later if you need it and you can get a letter saying you've applied for one.

Bank doesn't need a SSN though.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:55 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Bank doesn't need a SSN though.
Best to inquire with the bank you want to open an account with. I vaguely remember that when I applied with JP Morgan Chase 2 years, they had requested for my SSN. It's something so commonly required that I couldn't remember which place specificially needed it.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:41 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine back within a week of going to the SS office as have a few others that have posted over the years.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Best to inquire with the bank you want to open an account with. I vaguely remember that when I applied with JP Morgan Chase 2 years, they had requested for my SSN. It's something so commonly required that I couldn't remember which place specificially needed it.
Bank doesn't need it.

If they ask, speak to the manager or get another bank.

They just need to verify you are who you say you are and a passport will do that. They ask for SSN because it is easy and they figure most customers would have it, but it isn't a requirement unless it is bank policy, in which case go else where.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:12 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the card *had* to be mailed to you. You can get a verification letter in the office but I was under the impression the actual card had to go through the mail (but it's been decades since I got my own).
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the card is mailed, but you can go back after a day and they can give you a printout with the actual # on it.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:55 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

after the application is input onto the system - the overnight process allocates the number. Therefore you can usually go back THE NEXT DAY and ask for the number on a printout - even though the card wont turn up for a week of 2. My husband got his the next day with no issues - only hassle is having to queue up again. (number might not be available if there is a problem with the application - but you would find out the problem faster if you went in to get the number).
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

I read that banks are only allowed to ask for your SSN if your opening an interest bearing account. I googled opening a bank account without SSN when i moved here in october 09, and it does state that SSN is only required by the bank for accounts that earn them interest, so if you open a standard checking account it shouldnt be required.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I opened an account with HSBC without a SSN - just went back into the branch with it once I had received it in the post -that took around 10 business days as has been mentioned. This was at the beggining of March this year.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: SSN (Credit Card)

Thanks Guys for the response. I went in and they gave me a number to call to find out when the number has been issued, then I can go back and get it.

Managed to open an account with Bank of America without the SSN no problems.

It has been well documented on the site about the tough problems with getting a credit card due to lack of credit history, I know I could go the AIG route and get a card that way but has anytbody managed to get a card just by showing a letter of employment with a good salary? In that case which are the immigrant friendly banks?

Cheers!

Last edited by pcuz; Apr 14th 2010 at 12:58 am. Reason: Change of subjet to make it more relevent
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:06 am
Just Joined

CarlWain74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went back the next day after submitting my application and they printed out the SSN on paper. I then used this paper to open my Chase account
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CarlWain74
I went back the next day after submitting my application and they printed out the SSN on paper. I then used this paper to open my Chase account
So I called them today and it seems that I have the problem reported elsewhere on the site that the Homeland Security system and the Social Security System are not yet synced.

I left it 10 days from orginal entry to appearing at the office. The guy on the phone said it could take a few weeks to get my SSN number. But as others have said on the site I will call back in a couple of days and see what they have to say then.

Anybody else had a simliar experiance?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice

credit hurts here. i bought a nokia 5800 in december and only company that still does sim cards is att or t mobile, so i went in att and they charged me a $500 deposit for the account upfront which i wont get back till next december, i mean i didnt even get the phone from them i bought it online for $300 so i feel like i paid $500 for a sim card lol.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

CarlWain74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the $500 deposit is horrible, I refused to pay $500, so still use my company phone until my credit becomes better.

However, I was after a phone and contract so could be somewhat justifiable, though in your case it makes no sense to demand a deposit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.