Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN - 10 days?

SSN - 10 days?

Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN - 10 days?

Originally Posted by JAJ
You should already have had an unrestricted Social Security card as a green card holder.

You need to update your status with Social Security as that's how many federal and state agencies will verify your U.S. citizenship. You'll get another Social Security card, identical to the one you have, except with a different issue date.

It's up to you whether you want to wait until you have problems later on, or be proactive.
Right - but my wife didn't bother getting a new SSN card after she became a PR. She knew it was something she needed to do but she just never got around to doing it. It still had the blurb about not being valid for work authorization without INS approval (even though this no longer applied after she became a PR). I suspect a lot of other people are in the same boat. After we visited the SSA office to update our status to USCs in their database, we all got new cards with an issue date stamped on the front (our previous cards did not have issue dates as they were issued before they starting doing that) and my wife's restriction was also removed.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 14th 2014 at 11:21 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the SS Office the day after my citizenship ceremony and there were no issues.

This website is helpful for new citizens: http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I recently became a US Citizen, and at the ceremony, they made a point of telling us to go to the social security office with our certificate, to "upgrade" our status. BUT do not go for at least 10 days, as USCIS and SSA are on different systems and it takes that long for the info to synchronize- words to that effect.

That is what they said 3 weeks ago. I did not test it. I did go to the office around 10 days later, but after waiting an hour, had to go back to work without being seen.
I don't know why you would have to wait 10 days if you already have a SSN and are therefore already in the SSA system.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I asked this question the other day on here and also I've asked the SSA and USCIS. As someone mentioned, it all goes into the DHS SAVE database and in reality you don't have to wait ten days. You used to and it still says in the SSA documentation you should, but according to the SSA when I spoke to them it's all about when they get around to putting your details into SAVE. Whichever agency it happens to be, USCIS, CBP, ICE etc. there are quite a few, the objective is to enforce 8 USC 1621.

My problem with it was with E-verify, because unlike the I-9 you have to provide an SSN to use E-verify, so say you're working for employer A in status B and then you leave the country and come back some time later to work for a new employer, you still have an SSN but according to SAVE it's not work authorized. So E-verify says you aren't eligible to work obviously until you update it... but they have to do E-verify in three working days and the SSA says wait ten days to file SS-5 to update it. There's a field in E-verify that lets them wait if you don't have an SSN but not if you do have one.

Someone overlooked that I think. You can't assume the employee can wait ten days to start work.

Also we've had this thread before, I don't think it's a good idea to open a bank account and then get an SSN because you have nothing to put on the W-9. Plus banks forget to update their records, etc. Better to have it to start off with, otherwise you have to chase them up to put it in their system.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:49 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

When I did my Oath ceremony about two weeks ago, they recommended getting passport first (if needed) and then do the DSS when you get your passport. No hard and fast rule they said, but don't forget to do it soon as possible. "It's in your best interest".
Old Jan 18th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I don't know why you would have to wait 10 days if you already have a SSN and are therefore already in the SSA system.
You don't need to know why, you just need to follow the instructions.

Citizenship 101.