Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spouses of US immigrants on H-1B visas could lose their right to work

Spouses of US immigrants on H-1B visas could lose their right to work

Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouses of US immigrants on H-1B visas could lose their right to work

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-right-to-work

Forgive my ignorance, but I believed that H4s could never work until the GC process and the associated EAD.

This article seems to imply otherwise - or appears to be conflating 2 different things. The right to work on an H4 (which doesn't exist) versus the right to work while persuing a Green Card as spouse of the H1 (presumably an EB application of one sort or another)

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 4th 2017 at 2:23 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouses of US immigrants on H-1B visas could lose their right to work

Yes, there is no right to work on an H4, unless your H1-B spouse has an approved I-140 petition. At that point you can apply for an EAD card.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouses of US immigrants on H-1B visas could lose their right to work

Originally Posted by fbf2006
... unless your H1-B spouse has an approved I-140 petition. At that point you can apply for an EAD card.
To clarify, it's the I-485 that actually provides the basis for the EAD application... not the approved I-140. However, the I-485 can't be submitted until after the I-140 is approved.

By the way, it's an H-1B, not an H1-B.

Ian
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-right-to-work

Forgive my ignorance, but I believed that H4s could never work until the GC process and the associated EAD.

This article seems to imply otherwise - or appears to be conflating 2 different things. The right to work on an H4 (which doesn't exist) versus the right to work while persuing a Green Card as spouse of the H1 (presumably an EB application of one sort or another)
I think the article is clear, but only if you understand the wording used, because it does say ".... and has applied for lawful permanent residence ...". In other words, "has applied for a green card".
Old Apr 4th 2017, 5:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed - but it's a nuance that would be lost on the average Joe.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 5:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Agreed - but it's a nuance that would be lost on the average Joe.
That there even are different types of work visas would be lost on the vast majority of the US population.

I have, on rare occasions when having a conversation with Americans about visas and immigrant, pointed out that that there is no route for most of the illegal Mexican/Hispanic immigrants to take to get legal status in the US. This has been a surprise/ shock to anyone I have ever told.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

This H-4 EAD rule is specifically for people who have approved I-140's but can't file the I-485 to adjust status because their country of birth has no visa number available. It doesn't really apply to people born in the UK because EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3 are all current at the moment, primarily it will affect people born/chargeable to in India or China.

If you were born in the UK, are here on a H-4 and the I-140 and I-485 have been concurrently filed you'll still get an EAD even if this rule is changed.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That there even are different types of work visas would be lost on the vast majority of the US population.

I have, on rare occasions when having a conversation with Americans about visas and immigrant, pointed out that that there is no route for most of the illegal Mexican/Hispanic immigrants to take to get legal status in the US. This has been a surprise/ shock to anyone I have ever told.
You're telling me that anyone who gives birth to a child in the US isn't immediately a US citizen and has a benefits check inside a congratulations card?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by tom169
You're telling me that anyone who gives birth to a child in the US isn't immediately a US citizen and has a benefits check inside a congratulations card? ....
Go back to fending off burglarizers with your AR15.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Go back to fending off burglarizers with your AR15.
Yes sir.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To clarify, it's the I-485 that actually provides the basis for the EAD application... not the approved I-140. However, the I-485 can't be submitted until after the I-140 is approved.

By the way, it's an H-1B, not an H1-B.

Ian
It's actually the approved I-140 that is the basis of the H-4 EAD. There is another EAD that can be gotten when filed with the I-485.

Thanks for the correction of H-1B.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
It's actually the approved I-140 that is the basis of the H-4 EAD. There is another EAD that can be gotten when filed with the I-485.
As with Highlander... there can be only one. The EAD is the same.

Ian
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

lol The purpose of the EAD is obviously the same. There are just different rules as to who is eligible to apply for one. Someone on H4 can apply for it once their spouse has an approved I-140 (this is mostly helpful for those whose priority dates are not current and thus cannot file the I-485, typically Indians). EB applicants and their spouses filing for I-485 can also apply for it.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like the Trump may be clamping down on H-1B workers.

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/3/1516...ring-crackdown
https://www.axios.com/computer-progr...mpaign=organic