Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Split year Taxation (HELP!)

Split year Taxation (HELP!)

Old May 11th 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

CMG2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Split year Taxation (HELP!)

Hi, this is my first post so apologies in advance for any forum faux pas.

I left the UK June 6th 2017 and will be in the US until at least June 2019. I had a tax consultation with Grant Thornton before I left and they advised me that I would not file a tax return until my first full year in the US (to cover 2018 - 2019 and the prior split year).

Does anyone know if this is correct - I am struggling to find the answer online and did not file for 2017 - 2018 the split year.

Thanks,
Craig
(British male professional, 31, living and working in Boston, MA.)
Old May 11th 2018, 4:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Split year Taxation (HELP!)

By the way you worded the advice you received the tax constant was saying a tax return was due for the 2017 tax year. If so it should have been filed by April 17th, 2018. I never heard of filing a partial years return with the following years return.
Old May 11th 2018, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CMG2018

I left the UK June 6th 2017 and will be in the US until at least June 2019. I had a tax consultation with Grant Thornton before I left and they advised me that I would not file a tax return until my first full year in the US (to cover 2018 - 2019 and the prior split year).

Does anyone know if this is correct - I am struggling to find the answer online and did not file for 2017 - 2018 the split year.

Thanks,
Craig
You do not appear to realize that the US tax year is the calendar year. ie year ending 31st December. Any reference to 2017 -2018 is therefore confusing.

Your starting point should be here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf
Old May 11th 2018, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Don't also overlook filing your 2017 FBAR by 15 October 2018.
Old May 11th 2018, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CMG2018

Thanks,
Craig

This doesn't sound right. If you were a "US Person" for tax purposes, for any part of the 2017 Tax year, you need to file a tax return. For 2017 in fact you file (should have filed) two, a 1040 marked "DUAL STATUS STATEMENT" and a 1040NR, covering the period up to June 6 marked "DUAL STATUS RETURN".