Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Old May 4th 2006, 10:14 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

We have a town near us which has the "Haddonfield Fortnightly" at first I thought it was a Newspaper, but it seems to be a womens group not disimilar to the W.I. It seems "Fortnight" went out of fashion in the US in the late 1800s.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
4th of July Parties, "So what is it you lot are celebrating again?"
Yeah.. my co-workers like to bust my balls on this one too. "We kicked your ass".

I point out that they themselves could have descended from those fighting against American independance.

Mind you, some other people I've spoken are surprised that we don't celebrate that day in England too...
Old May 5th 2006, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I am sorry but I just CANNOT say it! My mouth and tongue cannot do it! Been here 5 years and I doubt I'll ever get to grips with "wadder".

Anyone else or is it just me?
The very first day my mother met my now-wife.. the very moment she stepped into my parent's house.. my mother asked if she'd like a drink. My now-wife said 'I'd love a glass of wadder'.

My mother's reaction: 'Wadder? Wadder?? Wadderr!!' and instantly the ice was broken

Since then, I say 'wadder' at restaurants only because I want to get a glass of water without having to go through the whole spiel about being fresh-off-the-boat, etc, and being made fun of.
Old May 5th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Smaug
Yeah.. my co-workers like to bust my balls on this one too. "We kicked your ass".

I point out that they themselves could have descended from those fighting against American independance.

Mind you, some other people I've spoken are surprised that we don't celebrate that day in England too...
I tell them we didn't want them. people ask the same of thanksgiving, why would we celebrate them.
Someone also aked me if we celebrated St Patrick's day on the same day as them
Old May 9th 2006, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

I do NOT understand why it is so hard for people to understand an English accent. Thats probably one of my biggest Weird Things about living here. I have a kind of standard southern english accent (I'm from Southampton) ...I used to work in WHSmith there and we would have foreign students or people from the cruise liners or whatever in all the time, and if someone spoke English with a French accent or something, you listened and worked it out.

I honestly do not understand why someone cannot hear 'water' or whatever.....I understand the accent is different but I don't really have trouble with theirs and I really think it is a lot to do with that attitude that there is something wrong with anything that is not American so WE should change how we say it!

I think you can adjust, make friends etc without losing who you are. There has to be effort from our side too. But I do sometimes feel that ALL the effort is from our side!

Ruth
Old May 11th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck
I do NOT understand why it is so hard for people to understand an English accent. Thats probably one of my biggest Weird Things about living here. I have a kind of standard southern english accent (I'm from Southampton) ...I used to work in WHSmith there and we would have foreign students or people from the cruise liners or whatever in all the time, and if someone spoke English with a French accent or something, you listened and worked it out.

I honestly do not understand why someone cannot hear 'water' or whatever.....I understand the accent is different but I don't really have trouble with theirs and I really think it is a lot to do with that attitude that there is something wrong with anything that is not American so WE should change how we say it!

I think you can adjust, make friends etc without losing who you are. There has to be effort from our side too. But I do sometimes feel that ALL the effort is from our side!

Ruth

I think partly it may be that they're not expecting it, and aren't tuned in properly. Consider, for example, going to a chinese restaurant that employs (typically chinese) staff whose first language is not English; Most people can understand most of what they're saying because they're intently instead of passively listening.

My grandmother-in-law had to have everything I said to her repeated at least once when I first knew her. Nowadays she knows my voice and accent, and I speak a little slower and a little louder to help her.

As for places like restaurants, I prefer to be polite and say 'Could I have a glass of water?' and slowly have converted to 'Can I get some water?' but find what works best is just plain ol' 'wadder please'. Not as eloquent, sadly.

Amusingly enough, this reminds me of the UK comedy series 'Little Britain' which depicts a group of (somewhat overweight) people attending a hosted session of 'Fat Fighters'. The group is comprised of mostly white people with 'English' accents. However, when this one particular (Indian) lady speaks perfect English, the host pretends she cannot understand and asks her to repeat herself. When someone chimes in and adds, 'She said ........', the hosts respond with 'Oooh! You don't have to patronize her!'.
I enjoyed the scene because I can relate to it

Smaug
Old May 11th 2006, 1:48 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Jeez yes, I don't know how the mods on here manage.... :scared:

TABE test eh?? Hope you passed, being the proud father of a boy genius and all that.
I did think of taking him with me

Does anyone else find that people over here listen more to how you say something rather than what you're saying. My eldest boy manages to wrap women around his fingers because of his accent and his manners (lucky little shite)
Old May 11th 2006, 1:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
.... My eldest boy manages to wrap women around his fingers because of his accent and his manners (lucky little shite)
So what's wrong with YOUR accent and manners then?
Old May 11th 2006, 1:56 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

So what's wrong with YOUR accent and manners then?
I think it's the fact he's only 7 years old and children don't seem to do manners over here. Whilst I would expect an adult to.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney

Does anyone else find that people over here listen more to how you say something rather than what you're saying. My eldest boy manages to wrap women around his fingers because of his accent and his manners (lucky little shite)
That's cos they have to pay good money for private etiquette lessons for their own kids!
Old May 11th 2006, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry but I just CANNOT say it! My mouth and tongue cannot do it! Been here 5 years and I doubt I'll ever get to grips with "wadder".

Anyone else or is it just me?
Me too. I speak English, English not American English and I spell words correctly.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
etiquette lessons
or as i was asked the other day had i had 'electrocution lessons' ..lol nope water it is for me too
Old May 11th 2006, 9:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
or as i was asked the other day had i had 'electrocution lessons' ..lol nope water it is for me too
As an American it is very difficult to enunciate that 't' without sounding completely affected. It's much easier if you switch into a British accent.

Hope your elocution wasn't too painful.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
As an American it is very difficult to enunciate that 't' without sounding completely affected. It's much easier if you switch into a British accent.

Hope your elocution wasn't too painful.
last night they were talking about innerviewing someone or other on the tv...my hubs says interviewing....he uses his 't' for the most part but can't say tomato like we do.
Old May 11th 2006, 10:26 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by TruBrit
last night they were talking about innerviewing someone or other on the tv...my hubs says interviewing....he uses his 't' for the most part but can't say tomato like we do.
I can say it but I come off sounding like a complete tosspot if I have to stick with an American accent and just change the middle "a" from a long to short as in toe- MOTT-o. Names for that matter can sound completely different as well -- say the name "Bernard" and then have an American say it. Sounds oh so much better in a British accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.