Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Old May 3rd 2006, 6:33 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spelling of words across the pond, National Anthem, Adjusting

Originally Posted by Bob
I just stand, with hands behind my back, out of respect, but I certainly won't sing...and I think you are meant to stand when the anthem is being played....though one thing I noticed, the other day, some racing event, was doing a minutes silence, but it barely lasted 30 seconds before the commentator started talking and they started playing tunes...
Yep same here, I'd stand for anyones National Anthem out of respect, but I don't sing it.

I've been to a couple of do's were everyone had to say the pledge of allegiance "One nation under a groove... etc" with an hono(u)r guard, I got some funny looks there for not having my hand on my heart and reciting it.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light

Adjusting how you write and say things according to where you reside is really a simple matter of common courtesy and ease of being understood surely? I use American English in all work and official correspondance. As said elsewhere in the thread 'When in Rome'. In writing e-mails back home I write in British English. I can use both interchangably and it's hardly a big deal. Just more z's and less u's in American English If I do drop my u's in e-mails to say, my sister I get reamed for it.

As for conversational words, I've no idea why you would stubbornly want to use British equivalents. You are simply making life harder for yourself. If you went into a car shop and asked for the dent to be removed from your bonnet they would look at you like you were from Mars, so what's the point? Use their words If you know what they are and you'll be much easier understood. Seems like a no brainer to me. I've got an English friend here who insists on not adapting at all whatsoever with the language, and it annoys the crap out of me to be honest!
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarrenP
As for conversational words, I've no idea why you would stubbornly want to use British equivalents. You are simply making life harder for yourself. If you went into a car shop and asked for the dent to be removed from your bonnet they would look at you like you were from Mars, so what's the point? ...
I wouldn't know how to say this in American if my life depended on it!!

But I usually find ways of making myself understood. Even the guy who was initially puzzled when I told him that the duvet and the rubbers were in the boot eventually figured it out...
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

I don't say the pledge of allegiance, I don't owe their flag any allegiance so it would be insincere of me to do otherwise.

I stand when the national anthem is played as a mark of respect, but I don't sing. I also tell them how proud I am that the "rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air" were supplied by us
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:21 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
I don't say the pledge of allegiance, I don't owe their flag any allegiance so it would be insincere of me to do otherwise.

I stand when the national anthem is played as a mark of respect, but I don't sing. I also tell them how proud I am that the "rockets red glare and bombs bursting in air" were supplied by us
4th of July Parties, "So what is it you lot are celebrating again?"
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:24 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I wouldn't know how to say this in American if my life depended on it!!

But I usually find ways of making myself understood. Even the guy who was initially puzzled when I told him that the duvet and the rubbers were in the boot eventually figured it out...
WELL I FOR ONE THINK THAT KEEPING YOUR RUBBERS IN YOUR BOOTS IS DISCUSTING- they'll end up smelling like socks and probablly offer less protection. Hope you use a diaphram also just in case.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
WELL I FOR ONE THINK THAT KEEPING YOUR RUBBERS IN YOUR BOOTS IS DISCUSTING-....
I think it's disgusting.....
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
4th of July Parties, "So what is it you lot are celebrating again?"
Last November I was asked if we celebrate Thanksgiving. I said yes...on the 4th of July
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Rompers
Last November I was asked if we celebrate Thanksgiving. I said yes...on the 4th of July
I'm going to pinch that one
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarrenP
As for conversational words, I've no idea why you would stubbornly want to use British equivalents. You are simply making life harder for yourself. If you went into a car shop and asked for the dent to be removed from your bonnet they would look at you like you were from Mars, so what's the point? Use their words If you know what they are and you'll be much easier understood. Seems like a no brainer to me. I've got an English friend here who insists on not adapting at all whatsoever with the language, and it annoys the crap out of me to be honest!
I think it's more a matter of it coming easily to say bonnet etc, and tbh, generally, unless I'm speaking to some mong, most people really don't have that much trouble understanding what I say...I do slip in the odd trash and gas etc the longer I stay here, don't have a problem with that either.
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I....most people really don't have that much trouble understanding what I say...

PRICELES!!!
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it's more a matter of it coming easily to say bonnet etc, and tbh, generally, unless I'm speaking to some mong, most people really don't have that much trouble understanding what I say...I do slip in the odd trash and gas etc the longer I stay here, don't have a problem with that either.
I do say a lot of words the 'Merikan way, faucet, hood, fender, gas, trunk, etc. But then others I still say the British way Tomato, Aluminium and strangely Hoover instead of vacuum.

I've had some great conversations in Home Depot...

"Well I'm after an adjustable Acrow"
"A what?"
"An 8 foot adjustable Acrow"
"Ain't never heard of that?"
"It's a pole you wind up to take the weight of something heavy"
"Like a curtain pole?"
"It can carry a couple of tons, so no"
"A couple, is that two?"

"Yes it is"
"So a big curtain pole then?"
"No it's made from 3 inch steel pipe, so they'd be really heavy curtains"
"Ohhhh do you mean a Lally Column?"
"No I mean an Acrow"
"Here I'll show you one"
"That's it"
"That's a Lally column"
"Yep, made by Acrow, I'll take two"
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:01 pm
Homebody

I do say a lot of words the 'Merikan way, faucet, hood, fender, gas, trunk, etc. But then others I still say the British way Tomato, Aluminium and strangely Hoover instead of vacuum.

I've had some great [SNIP]
[/i]"Yep, made by Acrow, I'll take two"

Now Gruffy dear you know what happens to naughty little boys who tells fibs!

It's DRAPES, ffs.

No septic HD employee would even know what a curtain is unless it's in a shower...
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Now Gruffy dear you know what happens to naughty little boys who tells fibs!

It's DRAPES, ffs.

No septic HD employee would even know what a curtain is unless it's in a shower...
And I don't remember my Home Depot conversations verbatim, but you get the drift.
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:07 pm
Homebody

And I don't remember my Home Depot conversations verbatim, but you get the drift.

I get a lot of things :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.