Reload this Page >

Speeding Ticket in Texas

Speeding Ticket in Texas

Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Damo2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding Ticket in Texas

Hi All,

shocker.....but caught speeding this afternoon.....allegedly!

Some background. Firstly I was given a citation for doing 70 in a 55 limit - the limit seems to change like the wind on the road I was on, but all the same apparantly over the limit. I am still on my UK license and know that I can be for the first 12 months of my residency (checked with the Texas Drivers people and have this in writing!)

Right, so the first thing - I have the option to call the court in 20 days time - takes this long for the police chap to submit his paperwork! So I pay a court cost ($105) and then $10 for every mile per hour over the limit.

or

I can take a defensive driving course ($25 online) and don't have to pay the fine part of the ticket at least - the court still want their $105 though - cheeky! However, and this is where I am unclear - it states that you have to have a Texas driving license to do this course - but, given the fact that there is a reciprocating law on the license as indicated above, can I do this on a UK license?

Also, can anyone advise on the best people to call? The judge precinct who I am suppose to call, potentially won't deal until they get their paperwork (from our cop mate), leaving me getting a Texas license as a very short window.

Just by the by, when he wrote down my UK license number he appears to have written a Z instead of a 7 - there are other 7's on the ticket that look just like 7's so no problem, if this is an error could I dispute it on the grounds that the copper made an error?!?!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding Ticket in Texas

Originally Posted by Damo2010
I am still on my UK license and know that I can be for the first 12 months of my residency (checked with the Texas Drivers people and have this in writing!)
What they put in writing may be irrelevant - if that's not what the law says. I'm not saying they're wrong... but you're presuming they know the law - which, in my experience, just isn't the case.

However, and this is where I am unclear - it states that you have to have a Texas driving license to do this course...
If you must have a TX license, and you don't have one, this is not an option for you.

... given the fact that there is a reciprocating law on the license as indicated above, can I do this on a UK license?
Is there, in fact, such a law?

Also, can anyone advise on the best people to call?
Let me get this straight... you broke the law, you got caught, and you're a tightwad? Is that basically correct?

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Pay the money and avoid any issues that may come about regarding driving on a UK license, then get a TX one. Supreme court says you can't rely on what a public servant says as accurate so you may find that 12 month period is actually for tourists and new residents have 30 days or so to get a TX license.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest the same as others - just pay the fine and get it out of the way.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Pay the money and avoid any issues that may come about regarding driving on a UK license, then get a TX one. Supreme court says you can't rely on what a public servant says as accurate so you may find that 12 month period is actually for tourists and new residents have 30 days or so to get a TX license.
He can drive in TX for up to 12 months on an out of country license as long as the "home" country has a reciprocal agreement.

OP, having had several dealings with the driving license peeps, I'd do as others suggest and pay up.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:29 am
Just Joined

No issue in paying the fine, but would that go against my Tx license when I get one or will it just mark against the UK one? Hence the question around the defensive driving course.

It was very clear when I wrote to the Texas License folk and it was a very clear response saying that I am able, as a US resident, use the UK license for 12 months. Appreciate what you have said here regarding this and do actually plan to get one sooner rather than later.

For the record Ian, I am not a 'tightwad'.....I just don't want to do something without seeking info from people's experiences or knowledge.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damo2010
No issue in paying the fine, but would that go against my Tx license...
It might be linked via your name... but otherwise, it's hard to see how paying a fine could be linked to something that doesn't yet exist.

It was very clear when I wrote to the Texas License folk and it was a very clear response saying that I am able, as a US resident, use the UK license for 12 months.
Did you specifically mention that you were resident in Texas? I only ask, because according to this, you have only 90 days before you must get a TX driver's license.

As I said earlier, they may be right... but I wouldn't presume they know the law - and even if you have it in writing, if it's wrong... it's wrong.

Ian
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Checked the link you provided Ian, but appears very much around moving internally in the US, e.g. Florida to Texas, stating the 90 day period.

I absolutely stated in the correspondance that I have moved from the UK to the US and will be a permanent resident and driving on my UK license - I questioned the fact that I have seen websites stating 30 days, 90 days etc to get a Tx license - the response back was you have 12 months and will have to take the full US Driving test within this time. The copper didn't bring this up when he stopped me, the only mention was that he didn't know where the license number was on the license and the fact he had never seen one before - he made no mention of 30 days, 90 days, 12 months etc, so this is not part of the citation from what I can make out on the slip, just a speeding fine.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It might be linked via your name... but otherwise, it's hard to see how paying a fine could be linked to something that doesn't yet exist.

Did you specifically mention that you were resident in Texas? I only ask, because according to this, you have only 90 days before you must get a TX driver's license.

As I said earlier, they may be right... but I wouldn't presume they know the law - and even if you have it in writing, if it's wrong... it's wrong.

Ian
I stand by my previous post :

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/faq/faq.htm

scroll down until you reach the bit entitled "out of country driving license" or something similar
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:05 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67

scroll down until you reach the bit entitled "out of country driving license" or something similar
That's still not a clear statement of law. It says "up to a year" but does not mention under what circumstances , if any, the amount of time allowed may be reduced. In most states you can have a year but only if your visa isn't for longer than that period. Not saying that's necessarily the case here - just being pedantic.

I can't remember what it was but something made me realise here in NJ that they clearly had my UK licence linked to my new NJ one so the ticket may follow you.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neil
That's still not a clear statement of law. It says "up to a year" but does not mention under what circumstances , if any, the amount of time allowed may be reduced. In most states you can have a year but only if your visa isn't for longer than that period. Not saying that's necessarily the case here - just being pedantic.

I can't remember what it was but something made me realise here in NJ that they clearly had my UK licence linked to my new NJ one so the ticket may follow you.
oh I understand what you're saying, which is why I suggested to the OP that he follows what other people have said and gets it sorted out asap. The Texas driving license people are a law unto themselves.
(I went to get my son's permit with him and, according to the web site, I needed to have had a TX license for 3 years to teach him to drive, which I didn't have as I used to live in another State. When I pointed this out they said not to worry as they'd all agreed that the web site was wrong...that's reassuring then!!!)
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any advice on your ticket, but if you have plans to apply for citizenship down the road be sure to save all the paperwork and proof of payment. It may save some hassle later on.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:27 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear - join the club - I got my first (ever) speeding ticket here in Houston last year. As I already had my TX licence I did the defensive drivers course and paid the court fees and avoided having it on my 'record'.

I know what you mean about the changing speed limits - to get to my sons school (5 mins away) I go from 45 to 35 to 40 to 25 to 20 - that's how they got me!.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 5:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67

Since when do we have reciprocity between Texas and the UK? I seem to recall something about driving on the wrong side of the road... ?

1) How long can I drive with an out-of-country driver license?

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Since when do we have reciprocity between Texas and the UK? I seem to recall something about driving on the wrong side of the road... ?

1) How long can I drive with an out-of-country driver license?

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S.
Recoprocity doesn't mean having the same driving rules does it?
I understood it to mean that if a Texas license holder is afforded the privilege of driving on their US license when visiting the UK then the UK license holder has the same benefit in Texas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.