Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speaking Spanish

Speaking Spanish

Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speaking Spanish

What is the etiquette here? Was dealing with a guy at a garage, him and his mates were all speaking Spanish to each other. After he was done helping me I dropped a friendly 'gracias' at the end. It kind of threw him and he looked at me funny.

Did I commit some sort of cultural/racial faux pas? Or was it just out of the norm? My intention was not to offend ofc, back in Holland I used to stick 'dank u vel' at the end of everything.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking Spanish

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
What is the etiquette here? Was dealing with a guy at a garage, him and his mates were all speaking Spanish to each other. After he was done helping me I dropped a friendly 'gracias' at the end. It kind of threw him and he looked at me funny.

Did I commit some sort of cultural/racial faux pas? Or was it just out of the norm? My intention was not to offend ofc, back in Holland I used to stick 'dank u vel' at the end of everything.

Nah. What you did was fine. The bloke suddenly realized that you might have understood that he'd been calling you a plonker
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:11 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is he wondered how much Spanish you knew and whether you had been following their conversation, but I don't know what the etiquette is.

I know with American Sign Language that if you know sign and you're watching people sign to each other you're supposed to indicate that you know how to sign, otherwise it's considered eavesdropping, but I don't know how one would indicate that without interrupting them...
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Nah. What you did was fine. The bloke suddenly realized that you might have understood that he'd been calling you a plonker
That was my thought too
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you are in the US, but being here in Texas a lot of Spanish is spoken and I've never had a problem. People are mostly grateful that you've tried to communicate in their mother tongue
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Not sure where you are in the US, but being here in Texas a lot of Spanish is spoken and I've never had a problem. People are mostly grateful that you've tried to communicate in their mother tongue
Yep - kind of like when my US mates refer to me as a 'bloody wanker'

Good point though.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yep - kind of like when my US mates refer to me as a 'bloody wanker'

Good point though.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it was your accent. Did you roll-l-l-l the "r" in gracias and put the accent in the right place.

BTW, here in Los Angeles, many spanish place names have become anglefied in their pronunciation -- including "Los Angeles." Among Latinos, there has been this habit of PC of using spanish pronunciation. It doesn't bother me all that much -- however, one day I was riding the bus and the electronic announcement was "Next stop is Los Feliz and Vermont." Los Feliz was pronounced as "Los feh-LEEZE" rather than the commonly used "Los FEEL-iz."

There is an elderly Federal District Court Judge by the name of Manuel Real in Los Angeles. If you say his name with spanish pronunciation, you are risking a contempt citation. Even anglos in LA pronounce a person's spanish name in spanish -- but Judge "Reel" doesn't care -- his name is not "Ree-ALL."
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it.

BTW, "gringo loco" is Spanish for fuel pump, just in case you heard that term.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Don't worry about it.

BTW, "gringo loco" is Spanish for fuel pump, just in case you heard that term.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Run in the garage shouting La Migra... that will get there asses moving
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:04 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Perhaps it was your accent. Did you roll-l-l-l the "r" in gracias and put the accent in the right place.

BTW, here in Los Angeles, many spanish place names have become anglefied in their pronunciation -- including "Los Angeles." Among Latinos, there has been this habit of PC of using spanish pronunciation. It doesn't bother me all that much -- however, one day I was riding the bus and the electronic announcement was "Next stop is Los Feliz and Vermont." Los Feliz was pronounced as "Los feh-LEEZE" rather than the commonly used "Los FEEL-iz."

There is an elderly Federal District Court Judge by the name of Manuel Real in Los Angeles. If you say his name with spanish pronunciation, you are risking a contempt citation. Even anglos in LA pronounce a person's spanish name in spanish -- but Judge "Reel" doesn't care -- his name is not "Ree-ALL."
Must an LA thing. Over on this side, Hispanic news reporters will give you a full report in a perfect American accent until they have to say their name, when they suddenly all soun' like Inigo Montoya.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would use a phrase rather than just a word.

More convincing that you might have understood what they were saying.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the rest of you, but whenever I am around somebody from another country, or culture , I feel compelled to let them know I am British.

A sort of camaraderie I suppose...

Is it just me

Last edited by coastieexpat; Oct 8th 2010 at 6:04 am. Reason: sp...
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice

I grew up in Houston. I wouldn't bother saying "gracias" if that's the only word you know. Especially if you've already had conversation with the individual in English, no reason to switch to spanish.

If you already know he doesn't speak English, then gracias is OK. If you actually speak spanish, you're free to speak it generally, but maybe make sure you know the individual is an immigrant who speaks spanish as a first language. Someone more educated might not like being automatically spoken to in spanish.

For example, lots of second and later generation hispanics don't know spanish, and if you approach them and start speaking spanish they'll probably look at you like you're crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.