Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speaking English !

Speaking English !

Old Aug 5th 2002, 7:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking English !

Originally posted by Texandie
Since we are on the sort of on the subject of the English (aka British) I would like
to ask this question to those of you married to British Citizens: Does your spouse
become offended when someone refers to him/her as British??Mine becomes totally
IRATE and almost screwed up his immigration papers because he was ADAMENT that he
would NOT put down that he is a "British Citizen"....he wanted to put
"English".....his reasoning is that "British" is too general, and that it could be
misconstrued that he might be from Scotland, or Ireland or Wales....and in HIS
opinion, THAT would be the WORST thing! I had to point out to him that his passport
says he is a "British Citizen" so he would put it correctly on his documents. I have
to chuckle at him sometimes. It amazes me that even though the UK is supposed to be
UNITED, even the people in the SAME country hate each other. (People from
Chesterfield hate the guys from Sheffield (about 10 miles apart!!), etc.) He has told
me stories about visiting a pub in a different "region" and then having to run for
his life because as soon as they heard him speak, they were all going to kick his
@ss! I have heard stories about football games that would curl your toes! Could you
imagine if the people from Texas hated evryone in Louisianna?? Gee.....it's scary
and sad, really. Anyway, just thought I would put a twist on this whole thing a bit.

Andria
Somewhat related to this is the habit in the US, especially on the news, of referring to England instead of United Kingdom, UK, Britain. Oh, the best one is Queen Elizabeth of England. I do believe I've heard her described as such.

Do the Americans reading this know why England is used? It puzzles me.

To answer Andria's question, I am the UK spouse and I wouldn't be offended if I were referred to as English but I would prefer to be described as British.
Old Aug 5th 2002, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

saledevo is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance, who is English, also despises being referred to as "British"... but knows he needs to use that term when referring to himself in the INS paperwork. He and I are always amazed at the ignornance of Americans regarding Great Britain. I try to explain to him that we are HUGE country and have trouble just remembering our OWN states and capitols and laws; because if you really think about it, the States is sort of like 50 little countries all smashed together (well 48 at least). Then we always take the mick with each other when I remind him that the UK is 1/37th the size of the US and he says he goes for "quality rather than quantity".

I guess what I am trying to say is that he gets frustrated sometimes but also takes great delight in educating people here who are ignorant of British trivia; as an innocent bystander I find it all amusing.

sal
p.s. I have never heard the term "Queen Elizabeth of England"!
Old Aug 6th 2002, 6:21 am
Telman.8

Default Re: Speaking English ! <--Changing the subject a bit

"TexAndie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Since we are on the sort of on the subject of the English (aka British) I would
    > like to ask this question to those of you married to British Citizens: Does your
    > spouse become offended when someone refers to him/her as British?? Mine becomes
    > totally IRATE and almost screwed up his immigration papers because he was ADAMENT
    > that he would NOT put down that he is a "British Citizen"....he wanted to put
    > "English".....his reasoning is that "British" is too general,

As a fact, he is "British" because that is the way the nationality is described if he
reads his passport. I presume he is actually described as a "British citizen". There
are other descriptive forms used for people who are "British" but who do not have the
right to live in Great Britain.

For what it is worth, I am English too. But, for nationality purposes, I am a British
citizen. However, when showing my nationality on a form I often write
"British/English".

Telman

Old Aug 6th 2002, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

And...........The difference between Great Britain and the
United Kingdom is ????
Old Aug 6th 2002, 4:20 pm
S.M.

roger The difference is Northern Ireland. GB = England, Scotland and Wlaes UK = The
United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Not many people know that, but being from Northern Ireland, you tend to know these
little things!!!
S.M.

"rogerpenycate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > And...........The difference between Great Britain and the United Kingdom is ????
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Fulham Football Club for the Premiership Title ?????
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 6th 2002, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Correct,
Advance to GO and collect £200/$300 ;o)
Old Aug 7th 2002, 4:44 am
Telman.8

"mjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > we are *still* discussing whether its "aluminum" or "al-yoo-min-ee-ummm". This is
    > after 5 years.

Actually, it is both. Both are correct. When the element was identified and given
a name, it was originally named aluminum. As a matter of convention (but nothing
more), the letter "i" was introduced in the end because the element was a metal.
For reasons I don't pretend to know, in America they retained the original word.
But, back to the point, both spellings are correct. As to the correct
pronunciation ......!

Telman