British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   South Carolina to become independent country? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/south-carolina-become-independent-country-315519/)

Sarah Jul 22nd 2005 10:15 pm

South Carolina to become independent country?

Whilst in the hairdressers today getting my hair done, I was flicking through GQ and chatting about the weather - as you do.
Anyway I came across an article in GQ about a Christian group who want to essentially take over South Carolina and separate it from the United States to make it an independant country. Apparently things like the 'War on Christ' the 'promotion of sodomy' and the recent ten commandment in courtrooms debate has sent them over the edge. You can read all about it here
http://christianexodus.org/
On the plus side a lot of these wack jobs seem to be going from Pennsylvania where I live so its a case of "see ya wouldn't wanna be ya!" and the phrase 'Good Riddance' leaps to mind. However my lovely Christian friend who picked me up from the hairdressers shook his head and said 'bunch of wacko's!' when I told him about it letting me breathe a sigh of relief that not all American Christians are fruitcakes.

The scary thing is the plan they have to infiltrate local government, school boards, townships etc and take over the state is actually completely achievable and with the thousands of Chrisitans planning to re-locate to SC by 2006 I find it very, very scary.

Any South Carolina people heard about this?

Franklin Jul 22nd 2005 10:22 pm

Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Whilst in the hairdressers today getting my hair done, I was flicking through GQ and chatting about the weather - as you do.
Anyway I came across an article in GQ about a Christian group who want to essentially take over South Carolina and separate it from the United States to make it an independant country. Apparently things like the 'War on Christ' the 'promotion of sodomy' and the recent ten commandment in courtrooms debate has sent them over the edge. You can read all about it here
http://christianexodus.org/
On the plus side a lot of these wack jobs seem to be going from Pennsylvania where I live so its a case of "see ya wouldn't wanna be ya!" and the phrase 'Good Riddance' leaps to mind. However my lovely Christian friend who picked me up from the hairdressers shook his head and said 'bunch of wacko's!' when I told him about it letting me breathe a sigh of relief that not all American Christians are fruitcakes.

The scary thing is the plan they have to infiltrate local government, school boards, townships etc and take over the state is actually completely achievable and with the thousands of Chrisitans planning to re-locate to SC by 2006 I find it very, very scary.

Any South Carolina people heard about this?

Relax, it ain't going to happen. NO way, nO how, noT in our lifetimes. The Republican Party wouldn't stand for it! But if Hillary did somehow make it to the White House (as crazy as this would be), I dare say Clinton would be quite happy to see the southern states float away. Hell, Clinton might even get the Iranians to nuke the southern states.

Sarah Jul 22nd 2005 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Franklin
Relax, it ain't going to happen. NO way, nO how, noT in our lifetimes. The Republican Party wouldn't stand for it! But if Hillary did somehow make it to the White House (as crazy as this would be), I dare say Clinton would be quite happy to see the southern states float away. Hell, Clinton might even get the Iranians to nuke the southern states.

Hmm the idea of chopping America in half and letting it become another country might not be such a bad idea!
Didn't Texas used to be its own country anyhoo and don't loads of Texans still kinda consider it to be a country in itself?

Franklin Jul 22nd 2005 10:34 pm

Hmm the idea of chopping America in half and letting it become another country might not be such a bad idea!
Didn't Texas used to be its own country anyhoo and don't loads of Texans still kinda consider it to be a country in itself?

*LOL* .... "read my lips" :) ... the Republican Party would not stand for it! ;) They need the southern states. :D Now if California goes for proportional voting (re: electoral college votes), there will be some slack for the Republican Party, :cool: but not enough slack to cut lose any significant part of their power base. :o No way, no how, no where, no chance. :eek:

Ben Jul 22nd 2005 10:36 pm

those who truly believe that this is possible may need to read up on why the civil war came about.

AmerLisa Jul 22nd 2005 11:40 pm

I was going to say. I say more power to them. Then when the Muslims want to come over and bomb, they'll know where to go. ;)

tony126 Jul 22nd 2005 11:54 pm

Obviously leaked by an un-official spokesman. I will have to have a word with him. :D

NC Penguin Jul 23rd 2005 1:08 am

Originally Posted by tony126
Obviously leaked by an un-official spokesman. I will have to have a word with him. :D

I was waiting for some input from a member living in SC. About time you piped up.

NC Penguin

nxylas Jul 23rd 2005 1:23 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I was waiting for some input from a member living in SC.

I'm pretty sure I commented on this on another thread.

Sarah Jul 23rd 2005 1:52 am

Originally Posted by nxylas

Really? Got a link?

cindyabs Jul 23rd 2005 2:07 am

Vermont was a republic before it became the 14th state-1777-1791, predating Texas.

The Vermont Republic set a tone for Vermonters that would echo down through the centuries to this day. Independent, suspicious of outsiders' motives, determined to go their own way and do the right thing. In 1777, the Windsor Conventions drafted a constitution and declared "New Connecticut alias Vermont" an independent state. The constitution resembled Pennsylvania's, but went further than others had before in that it granted full citizenship to all adult males regardless of property ownership, outlawed slavery, and set the rules for an independent nation which nevertheless contemplated admission to the United States if the Continental Congress should ever resolve its deadlock of competing claims to her territory.

garfro Jul 23rd 2005 2:09 am

Originally Posted by nxylas

Yea ......someone posted a link on this the other day
who wants to take credit? :)

cindyabs Jul 23rd 2005 2:12 am

Also, a portion of the county I grew up in in New Hampshire, due to a dispute between Great Britain and the US declared itself The Indian Stream Republic.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/new_hampshire/46113

Sarah Jul 23rd 2005 2:25 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Vermont was a republic before it became the 14th state-1777-1791, predating Texas.

The Vermont Republic set a tone for Vermonters that would echo down through the centuries to this day. Independent, suspicious of outsiders' motives, determined to go their own way and do the right thing. In 1777, the Windsor Conventions drafted a constitution and declared "New Connecticut alias Vermont" an independent state. The constitution resembled Pennsylvania's, but went further than others had before in that it granted full citizenship to all adult males regardless of property ownership, outlawed slavery, and set the rules for an independent nation which nevertheless contemplated admission to the United States if the Continental Congress should ever resolve its deadlock of competing claims to her territory.

Crikey! Someone should crown themselves the King of Vermont!
I read recently about a woman being prosecuted in Florida for something she did in Alabama but she said she didn't consider Alabama a part of the USA or to have any legal authority because of some historical fact. Crazy stuff!

cindyabs Jul 23rd 2005 2:31 am

Crikey! Someone should crown themselves the King of Vermont!
I read recently about a woman being prosecuted in Florida for something she did in Alabama but she said she didn't consider Alabama a part of the USA or to have any legal authority because of some historical fact. Crazy stuff!

Well I AM proud of them that they declared slavery illegal.