Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

South Carolina to become independent country?

South Carolina to become independent country?

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:15 pm
  #1  
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default South Carolina to become independent country?

Whilst in the hairdressers today getting my hair done, I was flicking through GQ and chatting about the weather - as you do.
Anyway I came across an article in GQ about a Christian group who want to essentially take over South Carolina and separate it from the United States to make it an independant country. Apparently things like the 'War on Christ' the 'promotion of sodomy' and the recent ten commandment in courtrooms debate has sent them over the edge. You can read all about it here
http://christianexodus.org/
On the plus side a lot of these wack jobs seem to be going from Pennsylvania where I live so its a case of "see ya wouldn't wanna be ya!" and the phrase 'Good Riddance' leaps to mind. However my lovely Christian friend who picked me up from the hairdressers shook his head and said 'bunch of wacko's!' when I told him about it letting me breathe a sigh of relief that not all American Christians are fruitcakes.

The scary thing is the plan they have to infiltrate local government, school boards, townships etc and take over the state is actually completely achievable and with the thousands of Chrisitans planning to re-locate to SC by 2006 I find it very, very scary.

Any South Carolina people heard about this?
Sarah is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:22 pm
  #2  
Franklin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Whilst in the hairdressers today getting my hair done, I was flicking through GQ and chatting about the weather - as you do.
Anyway I came across an article in GQ about a Christian group who want to essentially take over South Carolina and separate it from the United States to make it an independant country. Apparently things like the 'War on Christ' the 'promotion of sodomy' and the recent ten commandment in courtrooms debate has sent them over the edge. You can read all about it here
http://christianexodus.org/
On the plus side a lot of these wack jobs seem to be going from Pennsylvania where I live so its a case of "see ya wouldn't wanna be ya!" and the phrase 'Good Riddance' leaps to mind. However my lovely Christian friend who picked me up from the hairdressers shook his head and said 'bunch of wacko's!' when I told him about it letting me breathe a sigh of relief that not all American Christians are fruitcakes.

The scary thing is the plan they have to infiltrate local government, school boards, townships etc and take over the state is actually completely achievable and with the thousands of Chrisitans planning to re-locate to SC by 2006 I find it very, very scary.

Any South Carolina people heard about this?
Relax, it ain't going to happen. NO way, nO how, noT in our lifetimes. The Republican Party wouldn't stand for it! But if Hillary did somehow make it to the White House (as crazy as this would be), I dare say Clinton would be quite happy to see the southern states float away. Hell, Clinton might even get the Iranians to nuke the southern states.
 
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:30 pm
  #3  
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by Franklin
Relax, it ain't going to happen. NO way, nO how, noT in our lifetimes. The Republican Party wouldn't stand for it! But if Hillary did somehow make it to the White House (as crazy as this would be), I dare say Clinton would be quite happy to see the southern states float away. Hell, Clinton might even get the Iranians to nuke the southern states.

Hmm the idea of chopping America in half and letting it become another country might not be such a bad idea!
Didn't Texas used to be its own country anyhoo and don't loads of Texans still kinda consider it to be a country in itself?
Sarah is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:34 pm
  #4  
Franklin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hmm the idea of chopping America in half and letting it become another country might not be such a bad idea!
Didn't Texas used to be its own country anyhoo and don't loads of Texans still kinda consider it to be a country in itself?
*LOL* .... "read my lips" ... the Republican Party would not stand for it! They need the southern states. Now if California goes for proportional voting (re: electoral college votes), there will be some slack for the Republican Party, but not enough slack to cut lose any significant part of their power base. No way, no how, no where, no chance.
 
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:36 pm
  #5  
Ben
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 920
Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

those who truly believe that this is possible may need to read up on why the civil war came about.
Ben is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:40 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,105
AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hmm the idea of chopping America in half and letting it become another country might not be such a bad idea!
Didn't Texas used to be its own country anyhoo and don't loads of Texans still kinda consider it to be a country in itself?
I was going to say. I say more power to them. Then when the Muslims want to come over and bomb, they'll know where to go.
AmerLisa is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:54 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
tony126's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: SC
Posts: 4,153
tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Obviously leaked by an un-official spokesman. I will have to have a word with him.
tony126 is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:08 am
  #8  
Not living a 9 to 5 life
 
NC Penguin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,061
NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by tony126
Obviously leaked by an un-official spokesman. I will have to have a word with him.
I was waiting for some input from a member living in SC. About time you piped up.



NC Penguin
NC Penguin is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:23 am
  #9  
Wurzel turned redneck
 
nxylas's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Columbia, SC (was Bristol, Wessex)
Posts: 363
nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I was waiting for some input from a member living in SC.
I'm pretty sure I commented on this on another thread.
nxylas is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:52 am
  #10  
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by nxylas
I'm pretty sure I commented on this on another thread.
Really? Got a link?
Sarah is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:07 am
  #11  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,849
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hmm the idea of chopping America in half and letting it become another country might not be such a bad idea!
Didn't Texas used to be its own country anyhoo and don't loads of Texans still kinda consider it to be a country in itself?

Vermont was a republic before it became the 14th state-1777-1791, predating Texas.

The Vermont Republic set a tone for Vermonters that would echo down through the centuries to this day. Independent, suspicious of outsiders' motives, determined to go their own way and do the right thing. In 1777, the Windsor Conventions drafted a constitution and declared "New Connecticut alias Vermont" an independent state. The constitution resembled Pennsylvania's, but went further than others had before in that it granted full citizenship to all adult males regardless of property ownership, outlawed slavery, and set the rules for an independent nation which nevertheless contemplated admission to the United States if the Continental Congress should ever resolve its deadlock of competing claims to her territory.
cindyabs is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:09 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 212
garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by nxylas
I'm pretty sure I commented on this on another thread.


Yea ......someone posted a link on this the other day
who wants to take credit?
garfro is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:12 am
  #13  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,849
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Also, a portion of the county I grew up in in New Hampshire, due to a dispute between Great Britain and the US declared itself The Indian Stream Republic.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/new_hampshire/46113
cindyabs is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:25 am
  #14  
Senior Moment
Thread Starter
 
Sarah's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,007
Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Vermont was a republic before it became the 14th state-1777-1791, predating Texas.

The Vermont Republic set a tone for Vermonters that would echo down through the centuries to this day. Independent, suspicious of outsiders' motives, determined to go their own way and do the right thing. In 1777, the Windsor Conventions drafted a constitution and declared "New Connecticut alias Vermont" an independent state. The constitution resembled Pennsylvania's, but went further than others had before in that it granted full citizenship to all adult males regardless of property ownership, outlawed slavery, and set the rules for an independent nation which nevertheless contemplated admission to the United States if the Continental Congress should ever resolve its deadlock of competing claims to her territory.
Crikey! Someone should crown themselves the King of Vermont!
I read recently about a woman being prosecuted in Florida for something she did in Alabama but she said she didn't consider Alabama a part of the USA or to have any legal authority because of some historical fact. Crazy stuff!
Sarah is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:31 am
  #15  
Sursum corda
 
cindyabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Richmond Hill, GA USA
Posts: 38,849
cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Carolina to become independent country?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Crikey! Someone should crown themselves the King of Vermont!
I read recently about a woman being prosecuted in Florida for something she did in Alabama but she said she didn't consider Alabama a part of the USA or to have any legal authority because of some historical fact. Crazy stuff!

Well I AM proud of them that they declared slavery illegal.
cindyabs is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.