Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sort term medical benefits

Sort term medical benefits

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Sort term medical benefits

Just found out that my new company don't offer benefits for the first 3 months
(good start as I'm a Senior Manager!!)
I know the 'benifits' area is a minefield, just wondering if anyone knows of any 'short term' policies.
Thank you
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sort term medical benefits

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
I know the 'benifits' area is a minefield, just wondering if anyone knows of any 'short term' policies.
Thank you
yeah Assurant Health (formerly Fortis) do short term policies.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's the COBRA about? or that just a stop gap between jobs?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you

off thread but how ya doing Roger ? not had any PM footie abuse for a while ! cant believe you didnt do the baggies !
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

When you leave the present employment you must be law (if the company is a certain size) be offered COBRA. That is basically an extension of your healthcare. Sometimes it can be pricey but I've found that often it is only a few hundred a month and when you are older like you and I you need the coverage.

Actually most companies have the 90 days waiting period before benefits kick in. That is always your "trial period" which is why so many people urged you not to buy a house immediately but to rent for a year and try the job and area on for size first.

Rete
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
What's the COBRA about? or that just a stop gap between jobs?

Thanks Manc

Bob, Cobra is OK but it's $420 a month for me and the wife

Eskimo, we're slipping further down the league, watched the ManU game in a sports bar in DC, apart from the last 20 minutes we were awful.

A friend of mine has just told me about AARP (an organisation for over 50's) who offer cheap health and car insurance, plus loads of other stuff. Although I certainly won't be booking a Wallace Arnold or Saga-style holiday with them !!! Not yet anyway
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually most companies have the 90 days waiting period before benefits kick in. That is always your "trial period" which is why so many people urged you not to buy a house immediately but to rent for a year and try the job and area on for size first.

T'was good advice, but I'm none too happy about paying $20,000 a year to rent.
When I negotiated my contract they agreed to take out the trial period and gave me a 12 month straight contract, without, it transpires initial benefits.
I did get some quotes from companies for about $240 a month but was wondering if anyone had any experience of this.

Cup of tea ??
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Cup of tea ??

Believe I e-mailed you previously affirmatively ;-)

Only decision to make is do you like your Tetley to be US or Canadian?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

That's cheap! (Assuming the policy is decent).
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Manc

<<snip>>

A friend of mine has just told me about AARP (an organisation for over 50's) who offer cheap health and car insurance, plus loads of other stuff. Although I certainly won't be booking a Wallace Arnold or Saga-style holiday with them !!! Not yet anyway
$420 p/mth is better than what you'd have to shell out should either of you require medical treatment in that three month period...

Yes. Check out AARP. They're a powerful organization for the over 50s. My in-laws are long standing members.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Believe I e-mailed you previously affirmatively ;-)

Only decision to make is do you like your Tetley to be US or Canadian?

Either is fine )
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
That's cheap! (Assuming the policy is decent).

Trouble is it's linked to my present companies benefits which aren't that good.
I "googled" Blue Cross Blue Shield and had quotes of $240pm with $1,000 deductibles.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I "googled" Blue Cross Blue Shield and had quotes of $240pm with $1,000 deductibles.
blue cross is pretty decent one to have, well there about the only serious ones' in maine anyway...but there always quick to help you out and haven't had any problems with them so far....they picked up the tab for my titre tests at least
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:29 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Yes. Check out AARP. They're a powerful organization for the over 50s. My in-laws are long standing members.
They're also rather agressive with their marketing - try to catch you young!! I have been getting enrollment information from them for at least a year - and I'm almost a decade off qualifying!! Better be worth it when I get there