Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

Originally Posted by Mallory
you, plus the company's part. you don't pay that though, right?
I think he was saying that was the total, including the company's part - not what he had to pay.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:29 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I guess we're just so used to the stuff - I can see how someone new could sure have trouble.
I was told the other day to query everything and always try and negotiate a lower price. Do you all do that?

I noticed that our local hospital now offers a 15% discount if you pay within 10 days.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
.........Just after we arrived we had to take my eldest to the ER. The hospital sent us the bill without going to Aetna. I nearly paid it $5000. but thankfully had the sense at the last minute to query it with Aetna who took over and sorted it out.
You were luckier than me. When my bike-riding son collided with a car on his way to school, I took him to the nearest ER.

Silly me!!! I should have known that, instead, I should have taken a profusely bleeding and only semi-conscious kid to an ER in a different city - an hour away!! - in rush-hour traffic. :curse:

Needless to say, the ER never mentioned that we might have a problem with our insurance, even though the first thing they asked us when we got there was 'who is your insurance carrier?'.

So they saw him for about 2 minutes, gave him a Tylenol, and sent him to the dentist to get his broken teeth fixed/replaced.

In the evening, he was still in pain, so we took him back. Got an X-ray and a splint this time.

The total cost of those 2 visits (on the same day!) was over FOUR GRAND. Which our insurance refused to pay because... (see above). It took a 9-months battle to get it sorted, during which time the hospital called in debt collectors. If our physician had not stepped in and reasoned with the insurance, we probably would have been stuck with the bill.

US healthcare - don't you just love it.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I think he was saying that was the total, including the company's part - not what he had to pay.
One way or another, we still pay. Or where do you think the employers get the money for the premiums from?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:35 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

US healthcare - don't you just love it.
Wonderful system...you just can't fault it
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I was told the other day to query everything and always try and negotiate a lower price. Do you all do that?

I noticed that our local hospital now offers a 15% discount if you pay within 10 days.
Tyler got croup a few weeks ago, we left him to it until he couldn't breath one night (we don't take him to the doctors unless it's absolutely necessary), so we took him the next day. Luckily we still had insurance (it ran out 4 days later), I got the bill yesterday & it's all wrong, they've charged us for 3 things that aren't correct. It had an office visit, some fee to see a doctor (who we didn't see, we saw the nurse), a lab fee (we had no tests done) & 2 medical supply & equipment fees. We should have only been charged for the office visit & one medical supply & equipment fee (he had a steroid injection). It's the hassle of calling them & trying to get them to amend it, so annoying.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Fook me!
aye, that's something that people often don't see is how much it's costing the employer, because my cut is only $65 for the family plan with dental, they are paying just under $900 for the medical, don't have a clue what they pay for the dental portion.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopylorns
Well my insurance card says no referall required so I guess its a ppo plan.

As I said I should of said the neurologist my doctor wanted me to see not referred me too.
once again sorry for confusion, just bad wording on my point.
Loopy I do sympathise with you...the US healthcare system is a minefield if you're not used to it. I'm still learning after 11 yrs here. I dread to think what it must be like if you're faced with something life threatening like cancer or by-pass surgery...at a time of crisis having to organise everything yourself. When a mass was found on my mammogram I had to call breast surgeon, after breast surgeon until I found one that was in network...something I could have well done without at that point in time.

I remember once listening to a women on TV...she said her battle with breast cancer was nothing compared to the battle with her insurance company.

Good luck with the EMG. I was a little worried as my doctor said it would not be a pleasant experience...but it was absolutely nothing...and I am a total coward with zero pain threshold.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
you, plus the company's part. you don't pay that though, right?
that's what I said, between what I and the company pay, my hmo medical is $950...I only pay $65, but there's also the dental on top, but that's included in my $65.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:51 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, that's something that people often don't see is how much it's costing the employer, because my cut is only $65 for the family plan with dental, they are paying just under $900 for the medical, don't have a clue what they pay for the dental portion.
Oh okay, I thought you were saying what you pay personally. I couldn't give 2 hoots what the employer pays, it's all a con in my eyes. I've not been happy with any amount that I've paid, no great service as far as I can tell. More hassle than it's worth, I'd pick the NHS any day of the week.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:53 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Partystar
Oh okay, I thought you were saying what you pay personally. I couldn't give 2 hoots what the employer pays....
Why do you not care? WHO do you think pays the employers' portion - in the end?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

One way or another, we still pay. Or where do you think the employers get the money for the premiums from?
it gets it from offering crapper salaries....makes ya almost feel bad asking for a pay rise to stay inline with inflation...but sod inflation, I want to be making average money, not less
Old Apr 25th 2007, 4:56 pm
Back where I belong!

I know what you're saying, but it's never gonna change, so I really don't care to think about it. The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off that there's nothing I can do about it, plus the service is shit.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Loopy I do sympathise with you...the US healthcare system is a minefield if you're not used to it. I'm still learning after 11 yrs here. I dread to think what it must be like if you're faced with something life threatening like cancer or by-pass surgery...at a time of crisis having to organise everything yourself. When a mass was found on my mammogram I had to call breast surgeon, after breast surgeon until I found one that was in network...something I could have well done without at that point in time.

I remember once listening to a women on TV...she said her battle with breast cancer was nothing compared to the battle with her insurance company.

Good luck with the EMG. I was a little worried as my doctor said it would not be a pleasant experience...but it was absolutely nothing...and I am a total coward with zero pain threshold.

Thanks Jerseygirl, I must admit I am not looking forward to it at all!

Heres a thought hubbies boss pays approx $12000 a month for 13 staff members insurance plans!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well it'll get paid for somehow, by someone in any system. Whether the employer pays it as a benefit, taxes pay it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.