British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sorry-you-all-think-usa-not-great-uk-442135/)

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 12:26 pm

Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

I'm an american who has been living in England for 6 years. I think that people over here are to used to getting everything for free! The people in general have been rude & lazy. The country is very pretty but I could live without ever seeing again. I dislike it so much I am moving back to the USA. Can't wait to return & I will never take it for granted again!!! I will have real health care again instead of treatment like something from a 3rd world!!!! If you all dislike the USA so much maybe you should return to your crap weather the UK has to offer!!!!!

NC Penguin Apr 14th 2007 12:33 pm

Re: Sorry that you all think the USA is not as great as UK

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4640875)
I'm an american who has been living in England for 6 years. I think that people over here are to used to getting everything for free! The people in general have been rude & lazy. The country is very pretty but I could live without ever seeing again. I dislike it so much I am moving back to the USA. Can't wait to return & I will never take it for granted again!!! I will have real health care again instead of treatment like something from a 3rd world!!!! If you all dislike the USA so much maybe you should return to your crap weather the UK has to offer!!!!!

I think you're just flaming. If you disliked the UK so much, how come you've lived there for six years?:confused:

penguinsix Apr 14th 2007 12:47 pm

I'm an American too who lives in the UK and the US and has actually gotten to the point that I recognize each for what it is and I now find myself spending less and less time whining about what they are not, thus enabling me to enjoy each for what they have to offer. I think the sooner you realize the differences (and relish in them) the more enjoyable time you will have in either country.

Sometimes I think the whole debate is like arguing 'which screwdriver is better--a flat or a Phillips'?

tony126 Apr 14th 2007 12:48 pm

Pray tell, what is free? Do not say the NHS either because it is not.

Tracym Apr 14th 2007 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tony126 (Post 4640922)
Pray tell, what is free? Do not say the NHS either because it is not.

I suppose the lower income bracket you're in - the more that is free.

The higher income you have, the more taxes you pay.

If you have no income (and therefore no taxes) then it's free.

I am myself fascinated by people that keep calling things free - there isn't a money tree that I am aware of. This btw, is NOT my debating what should be government funded vs. not. Just - nothing is actually free to all.

Ray Apr 14th 2007 12:52 pm

Thats fair comment ..I just don't remember anything being free..

Where are you living now???
and what State will you be returning too??....

Just Jenney Apr 14th 2007 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4640890)
If you disliked the UK so much, how come you've lived there for six years?:confused:

The same could be asked to a lot of the posters on here who have lived in the US for years and years and still complain about how awful it is, how much they hate it and how they can't wait to leave. I really don't see the difference, except that the OP's comments are probably more appropriate being posted on a US expat forum instead of here.

~ Jenney

Lycanthrop Apr 14th 2007 1:08 pm

On the other side of the coin.......I'm a Brit who has become utterly sick to death of the total lack of social consience here in America and the fact that absolutely everything is centered around the accumulation of wealth and the pursuit of things. The way of life is seconded to a better standard of living. I would gladly surrender all this rubbish I've accumulated for a semi and an old car and begin enjoying the simple pleasures of a real culture again, though it be tainted by years of bad Govt. mishandling. Good luck on your return to the United Corporations of America.

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4640929)
Thats fair comment ..I just don't remember anything being free..

Where are you living now???
and what State will you be returning too??....

I live in Putney,London now & will be moving to Manhattan,New York.
No the NHS is not free for the people who work & pay taxes & I think my spouse pays enough for a lot of people to get their care.
I don't hate everything about the country,but on the whole I will be glad to go.In general it is just a less outgoing country & it is not a service oriented country.

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 4640890)
I think you're just flaming. If you disliked the UK so much, how come you've lived there for six years?:confused:

I have been here so long because my spouse in English & people do a lot for love !!!

HoosierDaddy Apr 14th 2007 1:24 pm

The people in general have been rude & lazy.

Ah - You can't beat a good generalization to make a point.

If you all dislike the USA so much maybe you should return to your crap weather the UK has to offer!
... and a little dig at an outside influence. I suppose you didn't know what the weather was like before you went there?
I think you'll find that the majority of "regulars" on here do prefer the US to the UK. Maybe you should look for AmericanExpats.com ?

Get some cheese for your whine FFS

Ray Apr 14th 2007 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4640990)
No the NHS is not free for the people who work & pay taxes & I think my spouse pays enough for a lot of people to get their care.
I don't hate everything about the country,but on the whole I will be glad to go.In general it is just a less outgoing country & it is not a service oriented country.

I must admit I don't see Putney as a particularly attractive place to live
But then any inner city area is just traffic, noise and pollutants..
and within reach of some fine crime ridden estates..
I do believe you have just got a bit homesick perhaps ...your return here will/may be quite a shock ..after six years...

danfan Apr 14th 2007 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4640990)

Depends where you are I think. I like London for a day or 2 but could never live there. Preferred the north any day of the week.
Likewise, Manhattan NY is a different kettle of fish to most of USA. For example, I lived in Virginia for 3 years and couldn't believe how rude people where there. Where I live now, the people are very nice (PA) but small town so lots of very narrow minded people who think diversity is having a Mexican restaurant a few miles out of town,

As for weather, hmmmm..... hurricanes in the south, humidity so bad you can't breathe, tornadoes mid west, digging you car out of the snow all winter in the north, earthquakes in the west, deserts in the SW..... I quite miss my mild mediocre rain and fog LOL

Healthcare - yep crappy nasty waiting rooms in the NHS, posh comfy ones in US. Low income in the UK & get terminal cancer? Get treatment. Low income in US and get terminal cancer? Hold a fundraiser and hope you raise enough. Or, like some I know, never go for your mammograms because you know you can't afford treatment if they find anything. Great treatment if you can afford healthcare or work for a company with a good plan. Go bankrupt if you don't.

TruBrit Apr 14th 2007 1:38 pm

hey don't be sorry amt070, it's not your fault that imo the USA is not as great as the UK ;)

btw welcome to British Expats :)

elfman Apr 14th 2007 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4641021)
Healthcare - yep crappy nasty waiting rooms in the NHS, posh comfy ones in US. Low income in the UK & get terminal cancer? Get treatment. Low income in US and get terminal cancer? Hold a fundraiser and hope you raise enough. Or, like some I know, never go for your mammograms because you know you can't afford treatment if they find anything. Great treatment if you can afford healthcare or work for a company with a good plan. Go bankrupt if you don't.

what he said

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4641021)
Depends where you are I think. I like London for a day or 2 but could never live there. Preferred the north any day of the week.
Likewise, Manhattan NY is a different kettle of fish to most of USA. For example, I lived in Virginia for 3 years and couldn't believe how rude people where there. Where I live now, the people are very nice (PA) but small town so lots of very narrow minded people who think diversity is having a Mexican restaurant a few miles out of town,

As for weather, hmmmm..... hurricanes in the south, humidity so bad you can't breathe, tornadoes mid west, digging you car out of the snow all winter in the north, earthquakes in the west, deserts in the SW..... I quite miss my mild mediocre rain and fog LOL

I have tried for 6 years I've been her to get a mammogram because my mother died at 42 from breast cancer. The NHS will not do one for me because they say I am to young (37).I have private insurance but unless you can get signed off by your GP it is of no use!!! I have to travel home to FL each year to have all my medical check ups done.

BigDavyG Apr 14th 2007 1:44 pm

If you all dislike the USA so much maybe you should return to your crap weather the UK has to offer!!!!!

Hmm - why don't I believe you - is it because you have mentioned the weather in the middle of a 3 week spell during which the UK has had warmer temps than Spain ??
Maybe its because it the NHS bothered you so much you could have done what you HAVE to do in the US - that is take out health insurance. Surely a smart yank like you could have figured that out after 6 years.

Poor attempt at trolling - good bye.

TruBrit Apr 14th 2007 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641041)
I have tried for 6 years I've been her to get a mammogram because my mother died at 42 from breast cancer. The NHS will not do one for me because they say I am to young (37).I have private insurance but unless you can get signed off by your GP it is of no use!!! I have to travel home to FL each year to have all my medical check ups done.

get it signed off then by your gp, if no joy with that one then see another gp in your practice.

danfan Apr 14th 2007 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641041)

Get a new GP if he's an ass and won't sign it. You have family risk factors & so good reason.

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4641047)
Hmm - why don't I believe you - is it because you have mentioned the weather in the middle of a 3 week spell during which the UK has had warmer temps than Spain ??
Maybe its because it the NHS bothered you so much you could have done what you HAVE to do in the US - that is take out health insurance. Surely a smart yank like you could have figured that out after 6 years.

I have health insurance over here it is of no use unless your GP's sign you off & they won't because they want the money the gov. gives them to have you on the books!!!!!!!:curse:

TruBrit Apr 14th 2007 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4641047)

hmm i'm with you on this one davy....my thoughts at the onset tbh

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by danfan (Post 4641052)
Get a new GP if he's an ass and won't sign it. You have family risk factors & so good reason.

I have had more than 10 GP's none will sign me off!!!

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4641063)
hmm i'm with you on this one davy....my thoughts at the onset tbh

I can see my thoughts on how rude & lazy most brits are is all to true!:curse:

BigDavyG Apr 14th 2007 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641061)
I have health insurance over here it is of no use unless your GP's sign you off & they won't because they want the money the gov. gives them to have you on the books!!!!!!!:curse:

Actually you almost always need to go through your GP first before getting private care - I don't see how it impacts the GP either way as they were never going to be the ones carrying out the next stages of treatment in the first place.

Poor, poor, poor attempt

BigDavyG Apr 14th 2007 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641066)

More bollocks - if you have had that many GP's eventually they will stop taking you on as you are obviously an arse.

TruBrit Apr 14th 2007 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641071)
I can see my thoughts on how rude & lazy most brits are is all to true!:curse:

haha we just don't care to listen to a load of bull, get enough of that here...now good bye and give my love to blighty.

TruBrit Apr 14th 2007 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4641075)
More bollocks - if you have had that many GP's eventually they will stop taking you on as you are obviously an arse.

:rofl: :rofl:

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4641075)

No it just shows how crap the doctors & health care system are. But I think your head is to far up your but to see that.

Ray Apr 14th 2007 1:55 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1799

http://www.opaldia.com/

loopylorns Apr 14th 2007 1:55 pm

Wow you have stayed 6 years but you feel like that about the Uk???

Yes I will agree there are alot of rude and lazy people in the Uk but in contrast there are alot of very false people in the USA only concerned about being bigger and better, normally at the cost of their family.

Health care in the Uk can be hard to work out if you are used to the American system so I understand your frustration but in MHO the Uk private healthcare is far better than the USA one with far less waiting time for appointments, also procedures are done on a needed basis not just to fleece the patient as happens in the USA.

The main point with healthcare anywhere is that if you can pay for it you can get quicker treatment same the world over.

Yes the weather is crap in the Uk compared to here but the freedom of lifestyle outweighs it by far.

Its been quite good weather here since I arrived but every day has been grey to me!

I am going to have to say WOW again, I can not believe you hate it that much but stayed all this time, I hate your country mate and 5 months is long enough for me!

danfan Apr 14th 2007 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641061)

Um, it won't impact your GPs budget either way if he signs off on it. He still gets paid for every time he sees you. GPs love private patients because a) they get paid still and b) the private prescriptions & hospital referral bills go to your health ins company instead of his budget.

I worked with several hundred GPs & hospital doctors for 6 years & I know there are some crap ones out there but that statement simply is not true.

BigDavyG Apr 14th 2007 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641083)
No it just shows how crap the doctors & health care system are. But I think your head is to far up your but to see that.

Being a yank you should know that its spelt BUTT
Shame on you

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4641089)

Thank you for that.I will look into getting it.:) I know not all brits a rude as I did marry one.

danfan Apr 14th 2007 1:59 pm

wow, thanks for that link!

Ray Apr 14th 2007 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641102)
Thank you for that.I will look into getting it.:) I know not all brits a rude as I did marry one.

Private clinic ..

Enough people ... It is difficult to get mammograms under 50 yo....
http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/br...een/index.html

amt070 Apr 14th 2007 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by loopylorns (Post 4641090)
Wow you have stayed 6 years but you feel like that about the Uk???

Yes I will agree there are alot of rude and lazy people in the Uk but in contrast there are alot of very false people in the USA only concerned about being bigger and better, normally at the cost of their family.

Health care in the Uk can be hard to work out if you are used to the American system so I understand your frustration but in MHO the Uk private healthcare is far better than the USA one with far less waiting time for appointments, also procedures are done on a needed basis not just to fleece the patient as happens in the USA.

The main point with healthcare anywhere is that if you can pay for it you can get quicker treatment same the world over.

Yes the weather is crap in the Uk compared to here but the freedom of lifestyle outweighs it by far.

Its been quite good weather here since I arrived but every day has been grey to me!

I am going to have to say WOW again, I can not believe you hate it that much but stayed all this time, I hate your country mate and 5 months is long enough for me!

I love my husband so I have stayed for his sake.:wub: He has now seen how bad it is over here & he can't wait to get to the US either:thumbsup:

Tracym Apr 14th 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4641113)
Private clinic ..

Enough people ... It is difficult to get mammograms under 50 yo....
http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/br...een/index.html

I was just seeing that site. Start at 50 years and then every 3.

Seems to be different here...

"The American Cancer Society recommends mammogram screening every year for all women age 40 and older. The National Cancer Institute and the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommend mammogram screening every 1-2 years for women age 40 and older."

loopylorns Apr 14th 2007 2:05 pm

What a load of trosh!

Doctors do not hold peoples health ransom to get more money for the NHS!

You will most probally see the same consultant weather you go private or not any way. FFS in the Uk if I wanna see a private consultant I phone my doctor and he writes the referal (sp?) without batting an eye lid.

Your comment on wanting the money for the NHS makes no sense, if you use the NHS your taking money away from it! no doctor would prefer you use NHS rather than go private.

AmerLisa Apr 14th 2007 2:05 pm

I'm just sure the Welcome Wagon Lady isn't going to be knocking at your door anytime soon......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ray Apr 14th 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by amt070 (Post 4641119)
I love my husband so I have stayed for his sake.:wub: He has now seen how bad it is over here & he can't wait to get to the US either:thumbsup:

Unfortunately the grass is not always greener ..
Certainly not medical wise ....