Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Something to make your mouth water!

Something to make your mouth water!

Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:28 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something to make your mouth water!

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
but they're just not the same...

I tried to make a batch once but they were a dismal failure

What I miss most of all are the sweets and chocolate. I'd do anything for a curly wurly!
Thats a shame, do you not have a British shop nearby?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:31 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

I'm afraid not. I'm stuck in a weensy little neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago. Bizarrely enough we can get marmite and HP sauce but no choccy!

I did however find some fruit pastilles once, but they were horrid, sticky and dried out! I cried a little that day
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid not. I'm stuck in a weensy little neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago. Bizarrely enough we can get marmite and HP sauce but no choccy!

I did however find some fruit pastilles once, but they were horrid, sticky and dried out! I cried a little that day
Keep looking you are bound to find somewhere. Took me about 4 years but I now know of several stores nearby where I can stock up on Cadbury's goodies...trouble is I scoff the lot within hours.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's Yorkshire pudding and there is nothing wrong with it IMHO. When I was a child all my aunts used to make Yorkies that way...mum used to make individual ones about 6" dia. No one made the small Yorkies you see today.
My Mum's Yorkshire pudding rise more. They don't look so sunken.

She also makes lemon meringue pies with incredible peaks. I don't know how she does it. I've not seen any other lemon meringue pies with such height.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
My Mum's Yorkshire pudding rise more. They don't look so sunken.

She also makes lemon meringue pies with incredible peaks. I don't know how she does it. I've not seen any other lemon meringue pies with such height.
If you make Yorkies in a large pan they don't rise so much in the centre...doesn't detract from the flavour.

BTW I love LM pie. The secret is to bake it long and slow. My fav is using digestive biscuits for the base.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:15 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Three words...

Sticky Toffee Pudding

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I have all my diet happy American friends addicted, even when I tell them that a pound of butter went into it!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

I just typed in British food in Chicago and came up with a couple heres one Hynes Irish Cottage says he has Brit food and does mail order/
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Keep looking you are bound to find somewhere. Took me about 4 years but I now know of several stores nearby where I can stock up on Cadbury's goodies...trouble is I scoff the lot within hours.
Many moons ago I lived on the South Side of Chicago,My daughter was born in Cook County Hospital.Now if you have a Walgreens Drugstore they always have Cadburys,Licorice All sorts,And even have sweets from Germany.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:46 am
Silly fool for love

Originally Posted by Hove
Many moons ago I lived on the South Side of Chicago,My daughter was born in Cook County Hospital.Now if you have a Walgreens Drugstore they always have Cadburys,Licorice All sorts,And even have sweets from Germany.
Ritter sport I can find easily enough but Cadburys is a completely different thing these days. They've licensed it to Hersheys and we all know how that swill can't be classified as 'chocolate'!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all

Ritter sport I can find easily enough but Cadburys is a completely different thing these days. They've licensed it to Hersheys and we all know how that swill can't be classified as 'chocolate'!
Hersheys version of 'Cadburys' is different because they use a higher fat content in their chocolate to hold the bars together making it easier to transport. (Straight from the Sales & Marketing Director of Cadburys a few years ago !)
It has that extra 'puke' flavour, is how I would describe it. But If you like Galaxy chocolate then 'Dove Kisses' taste just the same
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

helens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to allhelens is a name known to all

Originally Posted by helens
Hersheys version of 'Cadburys' is different because they use a higher fat content in their chocolate to hold the bars together making it easier to transport. (Straight from the Sales & Marketing Director of Cadburys a few years ago !)
It has that extra 'puke' flavour, is how I would describe it. But If you like Galaxy chocolate then 'Dove Kisses' taste just the same
Sorry, Dove Promises, not kisses
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:40 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I flat out refuse to buy HP Sauce now that Heinz shut the plant down in Aston and moved production to Holland. They can **** right off. :curse:
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Jimc_usa will become famous soon enoughJimc_usa will become famous soon enough

I miss Roundtree's Fruitgums
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:52 pm
Silly fool for love

oooh I may just investigate the Dove/Galaxy situation!

oh and I also really mis Percy Pigs from M&S!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes you are, i love fresh fish and miss that as in the uk i can buy fresh fish daily...i don't do frozen fish or meat.
ahhh ok ... I tend to buy lots of steaks and roasts when on sale. and have two freezers...course I cant say I have ever eaten a freshly killed cow sheep etc so would not know the diff in taste.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.