Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Something I hate about the US.

Wikiposts

Something I hate about the US.

Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:20 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something I hate about the US.

Originally Posted by Ridski
But most of the time when they are being used for those purposes, they are actually on their down time, and getting paid by the road work company. I know there's a Costco near me that has an entrance on quite a minor road, so they hire off-duty cops to direct traffic on busy days. No burden on the taxpayer, and there's one extra bod on call who would have been at home in his civvies should something go down.
The only burden on the taxpayer is that while he's at the place he sits with the engine running to keep the AC on in the cruiser, which uses gas that's ... wait for it... paid for by the tax payer. So yes, there would seem to be a burden.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
But most of the time when they are being used for those purposes, they are actually on their down time, and getting paid by the road work company. I know there's a Costco near me that has an entrance on quite a minor road, so they hire off-duty cops to direct traffic on busy days. No burden on the taxpayer, and there's one extra bod on call who would have been at home in his civvies should something go down.
Not in Mass they aren't....It's a state requirement that on duty cops do these duties, which is why it causes such a stink around here.

If they were off duty and not a tax burden I don't think people would really care...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:01 am
Just Joined

kiriyama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Yes there are a few things about the US I wish weren't the way they are.

But there's just one that burned me up today. My son came home from school last night with a something some other kid had given him. No, it wasn't head lice.

It was a promotional item for "Trix" cereal featuring the Trix Rabbit. It was a mask in the shape of an ice hockey goalie's helmet made of thin cardboard (about the same as a greeting card) that folded flat but when opened was big enough for a kid to wear like an actual goalie's mask. It had holes for the eyes and mouth etc...

The thing that pissed me off was that printed on the side of it in large type was a disclaimer stating: Warning! This mask is not intended to be used as a protective device!

It really makes me sad for a number of reasons. One, it really messed up the asthetics of the mask. Two, that someone out there is stupid enough to try and use this paper mask for protection, and three that if some moron did use it for protection and got hurt there would be a lawyer waiting next to the hospital bed ready to sue to get the "victim" the "settlement they deserve". Hence the need for the disclaimer in the first place.

I guess it ties in with my hatred of the modern culture of liability and litigiousness taking the place of common sense and personal responsibility.
Agreed. Lack of common sense being ground to sue someone for a ridiculous sum. One of the worst things here. Just let Darwin rule.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:56 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiriyama
Just let Darwin rule.
Mention Darwin's name round my area, and you'd likely get a lecture on why the man was not only blasphemous and anti christian, but that his ideas were totally and completely wrong because they don't fit with what the bible says.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Mention Darwin's name round my area, and you'd likely get a lecture on why the man was not only blasphemous and anti christian, but that his ideas were totally and completely wrong because they don't fit with what the bible says.
Same here....that's if they have heard of Darwin in the first place.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Janek66
Same here....that's if they have heard of Darwin in the first place.
Oh they've heard of him here alright, if a lot of them had their way, his name and his theories would be banned from public view.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Oh they've heard of him here alright, if a lot of them had their way, his name and his theories would be banned from public view.
SAD
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Janek66
SAD
Agreed.