Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scots Marriage License Not Acceptable?

Scots Marriage License Not Acceptable?

Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:34 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scots Marriage License Not Acceptable?

Reading a story online from the Scottish Sunday Mail tabloid:

A PREGNANT wife fears being kicked out of the USA because officials refuse to recognise her Scottish marriage certificate.

Miriam Beck, 32, faces deportation despite needing vital medical treatment to protect her unborn baby.

She has been refused a Green Card - needed to work legally in the States - and health insurance cover.

Miriam moved to Oviedo, Florida, three years ago shortly after tying the knot with her American husband Stuart at Kilmarnock registry office.

SUNDAY EMAIL [email protected]

News to me that a Scottish marriage certificate from a registry office is not good enough. Wonder what else the hold-up could be?
The line "immigration officials ruled she was not married to an American" could suggest that her hubby isn't a US National, right enough....

Last edited by Rete; Jun 9th 2008 at 6:31 pm. Reason: copyright rules of BE only allow a few sentences of the article. Pls read the article itself for the full text.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scots Marriage License Not Acceptable?

Marriage of the same gender is now accepted as a part of US life. Doesn't make sense to me, but then that is me. I married in a Registry Office in the UK (Hinckley, Leics) and have had no problems for what it is worth.
No different to marrying in City Hall instead of the Church looking at US equivalents.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
News to me that a Scottish marriage certificate from a registry office is not good enough. Wonder what else the hold-up could be?
The line "immigration officials ruled she was not married to an American" could suggest that her hubby isn't a US National, right enough....
The story is so badly reported it's pretty impossible to make guesses.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Marriage of the same gender is now accepted as a part of US life. Doesn't make sense to me, but then that is me.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:05 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The story is so badly reported it's pretty impossible to make guesses.
Agreed on that point.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:07 pm
Septicity

Agreed on that point.
More info here:

http://seminolevoice.com/Seminole_Vo...cle.asp?ID=491

Is it just my cynical nature that thinks: Only in Florida!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:23 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

Also cynical but I'm wondering why they continued to have sex knowing full well they could not afford another mouth to feed.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

I just hate these half baked stories lacking in the facts

And shows why the "ten foot pole" route is not a good idea.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:36 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by farmerwife
I just hate these half baked stories lacking in the facts

And shows why the "ten foot pole" route is not a good idea.
Strikes me that the husband is merely American by birth, and neither of them realized that the US does not provide child benefit, free health care, etc. Her immigration problems seem incidental to this.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Also cynical but I'm wondering why they continued to have sex knowing full well they could not afford another mouth to feed.

What...you can't stop these poor people having sex.............but they could have used some sort of contraceptive though
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:56 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

"Because I 'm rhesus negative ..

Isnt this a monkey?? She is prob full of rabies, thats why the US dont want her!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Isnt this a monkey?? She is prob full of rabies, thats why the US dont want her!!!!!!!!!!!
C'mon Melly, that's really not fair. Her fetus/baby may not survive unless she receives the shot/s.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:05 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
C'mon Melly, that's really not fair. Her fetus/baby may not survive unless she receives the shot/s.
But I don't understand why she states she cannot get the shots without an ssn? What she means is she is finding it difficult to get the shots without the $$$!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
But I don't understand why she states she cannot get the shots without an ssn? What she means is she is finding it difficult to get the shots without the $$$!
Agree.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that she could get them for $10 at the city-run immunization clinic or someplace similar.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:23 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Agree.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that she could get them for $10 at the city-run immunization clinic or someplace similar.
I'd bet, too. But they're used to the NHS and don't understand that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.