Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some Things I Like About Living in the US

Some Things I Like About Living in the US

Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:10 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some Things I Like About Living in the US

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
How about free soda refills at restaurants? That's the first thing that comes to Mark's mind when this topic comes up.

~ Jenney

i never get a refill, one soda is enough for me...
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:25 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

How about free soda refills at restaurants? That's the first thing that comes to Mark's mind when this topic comes up.

~ Jenney
Quickest way to begin to fit in, if you know what I mean

Basically, most have been touched.

Drive through banking. Bob love that too...get any check under the sun

Customer service as can take stuff back no prob without hassle.

Cheapness of goods and most services.

The selection of catalog shopping or online shopping and having it delivered to my doorstep within a day or two.

Able to put money in my mailbox for stamps, and having the stamps in there plus change the next day. Or mailing packages the same way.

The range of organic products.

Know all the staff at my local Publix and they all know me by name (many of whom are DV winners from West Africa!)

No fences/bars/security alarms/panic buttons.....able to shop freely at 3 a.m. with no fear. To me, coming from where I do, PRICELESS.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
One is enough for me too ... soda is cheap in the US but my husband really likes to get his $'s worth ... so when all four of us eat out, he will order 4 meals and one small drink! He thinks it's funny to see people paying for 4 large drinks when you could share, or just buy 4 small drinks and keep refilling them!

I always have coffee when we eat out so I don't have to share one small drink with everyone else ... they hate diet soda and I hate sugar soda!

Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear

No fences/bars/security alarms/panic buttons.....able to shop freely at 3 a.m. with no fear. To me, coming from where I do, PRICELESS.
I had forgotten all about that! In the UK the bank/post office staff are all behind bullet proof glass, etc., then you come to the US where people can have guns and the bank/post office staff don't seem to have any kind of protection .... strange, but nice!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I had forgotten all about that! In the UK the bank/post office staff are all behind bullet proof glass, etc., then you come to the US where people can have guns and the bank/post office staff don't seem to have any kind of protection .... strange, but nice!
Same goes for the petrol station workers in the UK ... gets to 10pm and they shut the doors and only serve you through the bullet proof hatch thingy, haven't seen the same here yet, even though my local gas station has been robbed a few times this year alone!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

well maybe not the free soda refills, but the free coffee refills...that's quality
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:58 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Another good point, being a picky eater it is nice to be able to order something off a menu and say "but without........". Last time I tried that in England I was told I had to have it that way because that's what it said on the menu.

I am still amazed that stores can leave stuff outside all night and it's still there next day. Theft was one reason that the newspaper dispensers disappeared of the streets in many part of the UK, people would put in money and take out a hand full of papers.

I love having my newspaper delievered but wish I could wake up and find my morning pint of milk on the doorstep. That took some getting used to, remembering to buy milk.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:04 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by immunise
Are you in LA? or as I prefer to call it...the worlds greatest shithole.

No South East Florida...Palm Beach County to be precise. Its A massive urban sprawl populated mainly by New York retirees and is one of the most expensive places in the states. Its also crowded, more people in this county than in the whole of Maine. Popultion of Palm Beach County 1.3 million, population of FLA currently 19 million, visitors per year 40 million!...

Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Thats because it never gets hot enough in WY to warrant a second soda.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
This is often refered to as GROSS over consumption. Where else in the world would the consumer demand to be served such enormous portions of food, knowing that half must be thrown in the trash? It's a willfull waste of food designed for no other purpose than to make dumb feckers think they're getting a bargain. And meanwhile half the world starves. This is one side of America I could well do without.
Well, you enjoy your lettuce leaf and half a tomato then, while we indulge.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I never used to be able to drink a whole can of coke unless I was reeeaallly thirsty. Now I have refills at the restaurant.....is that a good thing?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by immunise
Are you in LA? or as I prefer to call it...the worlds greatest shithole.
Different strokes, I guess. I love Los Angeles and have no desire or intention of leaving. I've travelled coast to coast and still haven't found an American city I'd rather live in.

Last edited by Dant3; Jun 9th 2005 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Well, you enjoy your lettuce leaf and half a tomato then, while we indulge.
Why am I thinking of some morbidly obese Jerry Springer guest whining that anything short of a WHOLE chocolate cake would be starvation? I never mentioned the TYPE of food, just the AMOUNT. I'm all for good food and good portions. I just think it's mildly obscene that people expect to be served so much food that half will be thrown out.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dant3
Why am I thinking of some morbidly obese Jerry Springer guest whining that anything short of a WHOLE chocolate cake would be starvation? I never mentioned the TYPE of food, just the AMOUNT. I'm all for good food and good portions. I just think it's mildly obscene that people expect to be served so much food that half will be thrown out.
What makes you think half of it is thrown out?. That why they invented "Doggy Bags". If I cannot eat it all, I'll often take it home and eat for lunch at work.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
What makes you think half of it is thrown out?. That why they invented "Doggy Bags". If I cannot eat it all, I'll often take it home and eat for lunch at work.
Doggy bags are a great idea. A meal at the Claim Jumper, properly boxed, can provide enough meals for he next three days! But don't try telling me a slight look of horror doesn't flit across you face when you get up to leave a restaurant and see that the people next to you have left enough food on their plates to feed a family of four. Especially when there is invariably some anorexic homeless woman begging in the parking lot.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.