Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some info about USA!!

Some info about USA!!

Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

World Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really nice
Default Some info about USA!!

Hey guys,

this is my first post as i have just found this site so if anyone can help let me know.

The truth is i would love to go to the USA sometime but not sure of the best way although from what i read the green card lottery is an option.

I am not a skilled worker so this makes it hard to get a working visa. Is it worth while applying for jobs in the USA online or will the employers not be bothered with the hassle?

I know i can go up to 90 days with no problems as a tourist. Is it possible just before the 90 days is up crossing over to Canada then starting the 90 days over again?

Let me know your thoughts..

PS i am from Northern Ireland
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

made in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant future
Default Re: Some info about USA!!

marry an american
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

World Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really niceWorld Traveller is just really nice

Originally Posted by made in sheffield
marry an american
I am married now although not happily and about to go through a separation so i want the chance to do something i have wanted to do for years and that is go to the US for as long as possible.

Another thing what advice would anyone give to someone who was coming to the US alone?

Would anyone advise a good place to start with in the US?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Read this:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

... but your best bet, based on the info you've provided, is the DV Lottery IMHO.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:29 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Crossing in for 90 days or so at a time from a "border" would trigger an "alert" and the border partrol could send you back for any or all of the following reasons.

1. No reason
2. He thinks your trying to stay
3. You don't have a "return" plan / ticket
4. You cannot provide proof you have a permament life outside the USA
5. He thinks your like the other 20+ million people with the same "plan" as you

Marrying an American is Option 1. Option 2 is to apply for the DV lottery.

trying to do it any other "less" legal (read illegal) way could eliminate / seriously harm the 2 options altogether.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by World Traveller
i want the chance to do something i have wanted to do for years and that is go to the US for as long as possible.
I hope 90 days will do it for ya.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:34 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I know i can go up to 90 days with no problems as a tourist. Is it possible just before the 90 days is up crossing over to Canada then starting the 90 days over again?
Were you born in NI? If so, then you qualify to enter the DV; if not, then you may not qualify.

No, you can't just cross over and return; there is never a guarantee that you'll be admitted as a tourist, and you almost certainly won't be if you try to re-enter without having spent the same amount of time outside the US (eg 90 days here, 90 days away). Also -- how will you support yourself whilst here? You cannot work on a tourist visa.

Where you should start is anywhere you are likely to get a job. I have to warn you that in my observations, unskilled workers who immigrate to the US find it *very* difficult to make ends meet here. There is simply too much competition from other immigrants as well as native-born Americans. Immigration from Central and South America is virtually uncontrolled, and the pay gap between unskilled and skilled workers is huge. There is no national health care and NO dole. In other words -- no safety net, even if you are a citizen.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know your thoughts..

PS i am from Northern Ireland
http://www.walshvisa.net/default.asp

On second reading, it may be over.

Last edited by fatbrit; Nov 1st 2007 at 11:58 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Thanks for the link, its a pity it stops at 35 as i am 38 aagghh!!
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Where you should start is anywhere you are likely to get a job. I have to warn you that in my observations, unskilled workers who immigrate to the US find it *very* difficult to make ends meet here. There is simply too much competition from other immigrants as well as native-born Americans. Immigration from Central and South America is virtually uncontrolled, and the pay gap between unskilled and skilled workers is huge. There is no national health care and NO dole. In other words -- no safety net, even if you are a citizen.
This is completely untrue if you come to the Riverdale/Woodlawn sections of the Bronx. It is a very large population of illegal Irish immigrants. Most own their own businesses, carpentry, plumbing, floor sanding, restaurants, bars, etc. and they own most of the personal real estate in the area as well. Of course, there are some that do not fare as well and who share apartments with other Irish immigrants. The going rate for one bedroom, shared bath, kitchen and living room is $800 a month. This is usually a three bedroom house and includes your electric, gas and heat.

Right on about the medical benefits sorely lacking but then you can't be turned away from an ER because you can't pay. Also the Aisling Center has a tie in with a health clinic where it is minimal pay for patients and they run free mammos and pap tests for women and screening for diabetes.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:20 am
Just Joined

What happens to all the people who stay in the US and never leave do they ever get to remain there legally in the end?
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:33 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

What happens to all the people who stay in the US and never leave do they ever get to remain there legally in the end?
If they marry an American, then an overstay can be forgiven. But an illegal entrance can never be forgiven (technically, if they can show you entered under false pretenses, like staying indefinitely, then it is an illegal entrance and the ban comes into effect). If you leave after an overstay, the bans kick in (there was another thread about this yesterday actually).

What you are talking about is 'amnesty' and it has about zero chance of ever being enacted.

Basically, you have these options:

1) Marry an American
2) DV lottery
3) Walsh Visa
4) Student Visa (get a college degree in something)
5) Work for a big company and get transfered to the US
6) Get a trade or skill that is needed, spend 12-15 years in that trade to make up for your lack of a college degree, then get a temporary H1 visa
7) Come over with about $300-$500,000 and start a business and hire many Americans.

All of those options are pretty tricky.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:37 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

No, they do not.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Six bus loads of illegals are flown out of Mesa Gateway airport every day of the week from the INS facility in Florence here in Arizona.Dont let Sheriff Joe catch ya,lol
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 2:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Dont let Sheriff Joe catch ya,lol
Hopefully, Joe will soon be an inmate in his own jail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.