Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some advice would be appreciated

Some advice would be appreciated

Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Sulph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice would be appreciated

Hello all , please take the time to read my post , any feedback would be greatly appreciated

I have been in a relationship for the past four years , visiting her in the us a few times

And now for my situation

I am currently in the us legally, I entered using the Vwp late November of this year , a few days later I married the love of my life in a small service at the county clerk's office just me and her , my step children and her parents. Our intention was for me to come here , marry , and spend the Holliday season with my family, then file for a cr-1 visa as I return home in January ..

My issue is... We recently found out my new bride is pregnant... According to my research the average wait time for a cr-1 is approx 6 -8 months..... Basically I would be leaving her to deal with the entire pregnancy and two kids.. ( 8 and 12 ). My other option is to file for adjustment of status... But I heard that is highly risky especially as I'm here on Vwp ... What would you suggest? I'm hoping for someone who has been through a similar situation
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:45 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some advice would be appreciated

Originally Posted by Sulph
But I heard that is highly risky especially as I'm here on Vwp ...
There is undoubtedly a risk, and if it goes badly, the consequences can be severe. But, judging by this board, most make it out the other end unscathed -- so I'd be hesitant to categorise it as highly risk.

Do yourself a favour and search this particular sub forum for the term 10-foot pole, paying greatest attention to the last two years of posts. Ignore the emotional and jealous responses and you should start to put together a framework on which to base your decision. You have up to the time your I-94W expires, so don't rush it. Also, consider getting a professional opinion.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 3:13 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all , please take the time to read my post , any feedback would be greatly appreciated

I have been in a relationship for the past four years , visiting her in the us a few times

And now for my situation

I am currently in the us legally, I entered using the Vwp late November of this year , a few days later I married the love of my life in a small service at the county clerk's office just me and her , my step children and her parents. Our intention was for me to come here , marry , and spend the Holliday season with my family, then file for a cr-1 visa as I return home in January ..

My issue is... We recently found out my new bride is pregnant... According to my research the average wait time for a cr-1 is approx 6 -8 months..... Basically I would be leaving her to deal with the entire pregnancy and two kids.. ( 8 and 12 ). My other option is to file for adjustment of status... But I heard that is highly risky especially as I'm here on Vwp ... What would you suggest? I'm hoping for someone who has been through a similar situation
Dont be daft ..do the job properly ...the cheat method is just too risky
now kids are involved
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... then file for a cr-1 visa as I return home in January ..
Why not file now and save yourself a month? It's fine to file while you're still in the US.

According to my research the average wait time for a cr-1 is approx 6 -8 months...
Well, closer to 8-10 months actually.

I would be leaving her to deal with the entire pregnancy and two kids.. ( 8 and 12 ).
Respectfully, she was dealing with two kids on her own before the marriage... and the pregnancy won't really hinder her ability for another 5 or 6 months. You are allowed to visit during the process.

My other option is to file for adjustment of status... But I heard that is highly risky especially as I'm here on Vwp ... What would you suggest?
Fatbrit and I often lock horns on this issue, but I agree with him when he says that most people make it out the other end just fine. Are you most people? No one knows!

As Ray notes, however, there is a risk involved. If your adjustment is denied for any reason - any reason whatsoever, however flimsy or seemingly unfair - there is no appeal process at all... because you signed away all your rights when you entered the US on the VWP.

You, and you alone, are the only one who can weigh your risk tolerance... but in a worst case scenario, you will be forced to leave the US - and the fact that you have a USC wife and a USC child-to-be will make no difference at all. Then you'll have to start all over again with a CR-1 visa... and the fact that you were removed from the US may (or may not) have a negative impact on that visa.

I have often noted in this very forum that when people are desperate, they make poor choices. I agree that you have some tough choices to make... so for the sake of your current and future family, make good choices. Are you willing to risk your family's future together for the sake of a situation that you, yourself, created?

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest that you have a consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss your situation in more detail than is contained in your post. It's possible that you would be OK filing for adjustment of status rather than applying for an immigrant visa, but an attorney who has reviewed the details of your specific situation with you is in a better position to discuss the pros and cons of both approaches.

Regards, JEff

And now for my situation

Old Dec 21st 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I suggest that you have a consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss your situation in more detail than is contained in your post. It's possible that you would be OK filing for adjustment of status rather than applying for an immigrant visa, but an attorney who has reviewed the details of your specific situation with you is in a better position to discuss the pros and cons of both approaches.

Regards, JEff
+1

Your mileage may vary based upon where in the US you are at.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

The big question is: Did you have ANY intention to stay and adjust status when you arrived in the US of A?
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Squirrel
The big question is: Did you have ANY intention to stay and adjust status when you arrived in the US of A?
I didn't , I left my job , my bills. Everything behind .. I even have a letter from my employer giving me permission to take my requested leave and when I'm expected back in work lol
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:58 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

lol? This is a laughing matter?

Our friend Squirrel it a tad off base - it's not what your intentions were, it's what the USCIS case officer who processes your adjustment application believes your intentions were. Get a lawyer, because it's important how your case is presented to influence what the case officer is going to believe.

Hope you're not in southern California ....

Regards, JEff

I didn't , I left my job , my bills. Everything behind .. I even have a letter from my employer giving me permission to take my requested leave and when I'm expected back in work lol
Originally Posted by Squirrel
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
lol? This is a laughing matter?

Our friend Squirrel it a tad off base - it's not what your intentions were, it's what the USCIS case officer who processes your adjustment application believes your intentions were. Get a lawyer, because it's important how your case is presented to influence what the case officer is going to believe.

Hope you're not in southern California ....

Regards, JEff
If you don't laugh , you cry , believe me I know the seriousness of the situation , and the risks involved , and I am fully aware that the question revolves around intent, and proving that I had no intent , and regardless if I had no intent to stay , and file for cr-1 , return to Britain and wait... I have to prove this, in my mind turning up to the interview with my pregnant wife and a conformation of pregnancy from the gynocologist with a date proving conception after I arrived in the us pretty convincing , I'm not the one conducting my interview, and seeing that the entire question of intent is based around my wife's pregnancy.. If this isn't enough to convince the person then I don't know. The immigration laywer told me pretty much the same as I have read here, proving that I had no intent is the lynch pin. And no I'm not in california , I'm in Tennessee

Last edited by Sulph; Dec 28th 2011 at 4:45 am.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't laugh , you cry , believe me I know the seriousness of the situation , and the risks involved , and I am fully aware that the question revolves around intent, and proving that I had no intent , and regardless if I had no intent to stay , and file for cr-1 , return to Britain and wait... I have to prove this, in my mind turning up to the interview with my pregnant wife and a conformation of pregnancy from the gynocologist with a date proving conception after I arrived in the us pretty convincing , I'm not the one conducting my interview, and seeing that the entire question of intent is based around my wife's pregnancy.. If this isn't enough to convince the person then I don't know. The immigration laywer told me pretty much the same as I have read here, proving that I had no intent is the lynch pin. And no I'm not in california , I'm in Tennessee
As long as the family is willing to live in the UK if your AOS is denied, then it's up to you and your risk tolerance.

Rene
Old Dec 28th 2011, 2:38 pm

Marrying your girlfriend and then impregnating her while on a visit to the USA is "pretty convincing" of what?

And how is it convincing of that, whatever it is?

Sounds to me like you might have had a plan ......

Regards, JEff

... in my mind turning up to the interview with my pregnant wife and a conformation of pregnancy from the gynocologist with a date proving conception after I arrived in the us pretty convincing , I'm not the one conducting my interview, and seeing that the entire question of intent is based around my wife's pregnancy.. If this isn't enough to convince the person then I don't know. ...
Old Dec 28th 2011, 5:10 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Why were you planning to wait until January to file the paperwork? What advantage was there in that plan?
Old Jan 1st 2012, 5:46 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't laugh , you cry , believe me I know the seriousness of the situation , and the risks involved
But apparently don't understand birth control?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

thats not a very constructive comment at all , ljaw2002uk , and pretty irrelevent as we all know birth control can fail as well...my wife and i just had a baby whilst using birth control , and contrary to her having been told all her life that she could not have children

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.