Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Some advice please

Some advice please

Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

TumbledownAsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Some advice please

Ladies and Gentleman, I’m new to this forum , and I’m hoping to pick your brains/seek some advice, please!

I’ll give you a quick sit-rep as per my current situation. At present, I’m a third year History Student, at Liverpool University, and I’m in my final year.
I’m looking to work in the United States upon graduation in June 2004. At present I’ve taken a few steps, in what I think could be the right direction, although I’m quite willing to be re-directed if I’m wrong! :

a) I applied for a Green Card under the Green Card Lottery Scheme, at http://www.usais.org .
b) I’ve been compiling a short list of jobs I feel are potentially obtainable, in the light of my skills base.

The jobs I’ve been short – listing ,and to some extent corresponding with potential employers about, have been largely of a human resources/office nature. This is largely because this sort of work tallies with my own work related experience, as well as extra curricular activities/courses I’ve taken whilst at University.

Basically, I’m not sure if I’m going in the right direction, or what my chances are of actually being given the green light to receive the appropriate paperwork that will allow me to work.

If you have any advice you’d like to share, any routes which I’ve probably overlooked that you’d like to enlighten me with, I’d be very much appreciative!

Thank you!

Ash.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Some advice please

Originally posted by TumbledownAsh
Ladies and Gentleman, I’m new to this forum , and I’m hoping to pick your brains/seek some advice, please!

I’ll give you a quick sit-rep as per my current situation. At present, I’m a third year History Student, at Liverpool University, and I’m in my final year.
I’m looking to work in the United States upon graduation in June 2004. At present I’ve taken a few steps, in what I think could be the right direction, although I’m quite willing to be re-directed if I’m wrong! :

a) I applied for a Green Card under the Green Card Lottery Scheme, at http://www.usais.org .
b) I’ve been compiling a short list of jobs I feel are potentially obtainable, in the light of my skills base.

The jobs I’ve been short – listing ,and to some extent corresponding with potential employers about, have been largely of a human resources/office nature. This is largely because this sort of work tallies with my own work related experience, as well as extra curricular activities/courses I’ve taken whilst at University.

Basically, I’m not sure if I’m going in the right direction, or what my chances are of actually being given the green light to receive the appropriate paperwork that will allow me to work.

If you have any advice you’d like to share, any routes which I’ve probably overlooked that you’d like to enlighten me with, I’d be very much appreciative!

Thank you!

Ash.

Hi

Firstly, I'm assuming you are British - unless you are from Northern Ireland, I believe, you are not eligilbe for the Green Card Lottery. The site that you linked too isn't working at the moment - I don't know if you typed it in wrong or if its just down at the moment.

I also get the impression its pretty hard to get employed over here and get a green card that way. I think you would definitely need some experience first. Other people will know the rules better but i think it also has to be a job where there is a shortage of US workers.

I think your best bet could be getting a job in the UK with a multinational and hope that they can transfer you to the US at some point.

Lindsey
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Hello Lindsey,
Thank you for your prompt and informative reply!
I am indeed British, so it looks as if I'm not entitled to enter the Green Card Lottery, ho hum, one of those things I suppose!.

Suppose I was to secure a job with a University Human resources department, would the powers that be (US State Dept.) look favourably upon the fact I've got a job waiting, and thus would the Green card/legal document entitling me to work, be secured?

Thanks for your help and advice,

Ash.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough

Hello Lindsey,
I am indeed British, so it looks as if I'm not entitled to enter the Green Card Lottery, ho hum, one of those things I suppose!.

Suppose I was to secure a job with a University Human resources department, would the powers that be (US State Dept.) look favourably upon the fact I've got a job waiting, and thus would the Green card/legal document entitling me to work, be secured?

Ash.

Hi

I'm not an expert on work visas as I'm here through marriage.

I think what happens, though, is that you secure the job in the US, the US company/University etc then applies for something that allows them to hire a foreign worker (you) for that position. I think you then would apply for an H1B visa based on that employment.

I'm sure someone else on here will be able to give you more info on that though.

Lindsey
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Hello Lindsey,

Ash.
Your best bet is to go to www.bcis.gov. All the information you will need for work visas etc. is on this site. My nephew is trying to do the same thing at the moment without a lot of luck. You could try getting a company to give you an internship and take it from there, you would need a student visa for that I believe. The site is good, go and have a look.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Hello Lindsey,

Thanks again for enlightening me!, I'll look up the H1B reference. I believe I might be looking to secure EB-3 Visa if/when I secure work?

Ash.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Hello Effi,

Thanks for the link, I'll follow it up!. Hope your nephew secures his dreams!

Ash.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:00 pm
ScarlettHill

HOW TO BECOME A LEGAL RESIDENT OF THE US

(AKA HOW TO GET A GREEN CARD)

BY Pulaski

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult, but if you really want to it is possible.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Pulaski on 23 Aug 2003 at 13:53

Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Hello Pulaski,
Thanks for the list! A real eye opener! I have a question though, if I was to secure a job in Jan. after passing an interview phase, in your opinion, would their be ample time to apply for the appropriate documents to begin work in say May/June?

Also, if I may, is it possible to enter the States on my passport, and seek work for 3 months, and if successful, apply for the correct documentation there after?

Thanks,

Ash.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:21 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Pulaski,
Thanks for the list! A real eye opener! I have a question though, if I was to secure a job in Jan. after passing an interview phase, in your opinion, would their be ample time to apply for the appropriate documents to begin work in say May/June?

Also, if I may, is it possible to enter the States on my passport, and seek work for 3 months, and if successful, apply for the correct documentation there after?

Thanks,

Ash.
Um....ash, that was edited by Scarlett from a post made by pulaski.... you see, the "how do I get into the States" question is often posted on here, so its been easier to just keep posting pulaski's 7 commandments...

Good luck anyways.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:25 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Pulaski,

Thanks,

Ash.
An easier way, would be get a 1 year working visa, go to Australia, meet an american go to the U.S get married, get banged up and bob's your uncle....your in.

Oops sorry thats an illegal way....don't tell Patrick he will dob me into the moderator.....GULP
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:31 pm
ScarlettHill

I am not, nor have I ever been, nor do I ever intend to become, Pulaski.

I am not related to Pulaski.

I have never met him.

Anyone interested in knowing more about Pulaski should read his book, How to get a Green Card, by Pulaski, coming soon to a bookshop near you.

Old Oct 13th 2003, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Hmm! Good point well made, sorry for any confusion caused!

I'll keep my eyes peeled at my local Waterstone's

Cheers,

Ash.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

I'll bear that in mind, if it comes to it!

Of course,such a venture would be reliant upon my charm, I think I'll take my chances the legal way!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:34 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Ash.
You may enter the United States as a tourist for 3 months under the visa waiver scheme, although if you tell immigration officials you are seeking work they will probably send you home again.

A better idea would be to get a tourist visa (180 days), before coming into the country. If you found a job here, with an employer prepared to sponsor you, you could then then premium process a change of status in 15 working days (usually completed in 4-5) without the leaving the country, rather than returning to the UK and applying, then waiting outside the country. The chances of your finding a job which someone will hold for you for an indeterminate period of time are remote IMO, especially in a country where notice periods generally run at 1-2 weeks. Depending on the season, it can take a month to get an interview at the US Embassy to collect your visa.

Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.