Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sodding shipping companies!

Sodding shipping companies!

Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Sodding shipping companies!

So I got an email from the US-side shipping company which will accept and deliver our shipment to our US address. They say go to our website and log in using this account name and temporary password, so that I can give them the details they need to complete the delivery.

Fine I think, so I go ahead and do it.

Now this week I've had two emails from them. First one starts "Dear Derek.....the container has been released by customs and....." - problem being that my name isn't Derek, and I didn't ship a container. It says that I owe them money for a customs inspection.

So I email them to say that firstly, my name isn't Derek, and I did not ship a container, but rather a much smaller consignment of packages. I ask them to confirm that they are indeed talking about the correct shipment.

I then get another reply with attached bills for approx $160 (x-ray) and $1200 (extensive customs inspection).

I have of course emailed again pointing out that there is obviously a mixup with the paperwork. They tell me that they have Derek's customs paperwork....and I told that I filled in my customs paperwork in my own name. Either the UK shipping company cocked up and submitted my paperwork with Derek's shipment, or they crossed the email addresses over onto the wrong accounts - or both.

If this doesn't turn out well, and rapid style, I shall be naming and shaming all involved!

Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:47 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sodding shipping companies!

$1200 inspection?

what size container are you shipping?!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
$1200 inspection?

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
... I did not ship a container, but rather a much smaller consignment of packages.
Sounds like they either have him mixed up with someone else or, possibly, his shipment got consolidated with one or more other shipments and he is getting dinged with the charges for the whole lot ...

Either way it doesn't inspire much confidence in the shipping company.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:33 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Sounds like they either have him mixed up with someone else or, possibly, his shipment got consolidated with one or more other shipments and he is getting dinged with the charges for the whole lot ...

Either way it doesn't inspire much confidence in the shipping company.
No, it doesn't.

OP, can you pay with a credit card? Because you may have chargeback rights.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:22 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Just bite the bullet, pay the money and take Derek's stuff. If he does indeed have a container-full it sounds like you'll come out better off anyway!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:32 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I then get another reply with attached bills for approx $160 (x-ray) and $1200 (extensive customs inspection).
I've noticed this cropping up quite a lot, lately and it's got me wondering. Are the shipping cos now running a scam where they claim that there's been a customs inspection, regardless of whether one took place?

It could be quite lucrative, especially if they billed the whole "cost" to each and every user of a shared container.

I'll be reading the contract very carefully when we ship our stuff (in the next few weeks -) and, if we get an inspection charge, I'll be calling CBP to see whether they'll tell me anything before I pay a penny.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
$1200 inspection?

Whoa there! I did some digging on the CBP site and found this: linky

The CES facility will unload (devan) your shipment from its shipping container and will reload it after the exam. The CES will bill you for their services. There are also costs associated with moving the cargo to and from the exam site and with storage. Rates will vary across the country and a complete devanning may cost several hundred dollars.
So if "several hundred" is the top end, according to CBP, is sounds like somebody is taking the piss with $1200

Oops - seems this has been done before: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513178

Originally Posted by Deedee13
I was informed that my container had been inspected by customs. (Its in the small print, under additional costs, together with the we promise in 6 weeks but can take 6 months to deliver catch) So i told them that I would pay after I had in my possession the ORIGINAL INVOICE stamp and all from customs, not one of the make up ones on the PC!!!! funnily the charge was dropped! and i never did get to see the original bill!

its their coffee fund this inspection charge!

Last edited by chartreuse; Dec 31st 2008 at 11:12 am. Reason: additional info
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:21 am

Also, some good info at: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8840

Apparently you can demand to see form 3461, which will tell you whether an inspection took place...
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great link Chartreuse - thanks.

Rest assured I will be demanding copious paperwork before shelling out a penny on customs fees.

The UK mover emailed the US mover this morning and CCd me in, attempting to straighten it out. The UK mover confirmed that they didn't ship Derek's stuff from the UK so his consignment has come via another source company.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:30 pm

That's a great link Chartreuse - thanks.

Rest assured I will be demanding copious paperwork before shelling out a penny on customs fees.

The UK mover emailed the US mover this morning and CCd me in, attempting to straighten it out. The UK mover confirmed that they didn't ship Derek's stuff from the UK so his consignment has come via another source company.

I'll keep you all posted.
Thank you, Sir. Your starting this thread gave me the impetus to get off my arse and request appointments with four moving companies (Robinsons, Pickfords, Britannia and Anglo-Pacific).

So far, Pickfords have called back and are coming round to estimate on Tuesday. We're going to ask for two quotes, with furniture and without.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just for the record, BE does not allow the name and shame game.

Good luck with straightening this out. Phone calls are often times far better than e-mails in rectifying problems.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just for the record, BE does not allow the name and shame game.

Good luck with straightening this out. Phone calls are often times far better than e-mails in rectifying problems.
Serious question - Is it not allowed to mention who this is, that he's had such a problem with?

I'm just curious - as this is a long-time poster, and he hasn't signed up just to name and shame someone... And I know we often give opinions on companies (such as Vonage recently for example)...

Could you please clarify what is and isn't allowed? This is not a criticism, I'm just honestly not sure where the lines are drown...
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Serious question - Is it not allowed to mention who this is, that he's had such a problem with?

I'm just curious - as this is a long-time poster, and he hasn't signed up just to name and shame someone... And I know we often give opinions on companies (such as Vonage recently for example)...

Could you please clarify what is and isn't allowed? This is not a criticism, I'm just honestly not sure where the lines are drown...

Doesn't matter what he signed up for. We delete name and shame threads. They can kibitz about the service, product, whatever, but cannot name the company. They can go as far as suggest if you want to know the name, you can PM them.

The example you used is not name and shame. It is a discussion whereas if you single out a company for shaming purposes only, therein lies the restriction.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Doesn't matter what he signed up for. We delete name and shame threads. They can kibitz about the service, product, whatever, but cannot name the company. They can go as far as suggest if you want to know the name, you can PM them.

The example you used is not name and shame. It is a discussion whereas if you single out a company for shaming purposes only, therein lies the restriction.
OK, so if I have this correct - you can bring up a company for discussion - and both negative and positive posts and experiences are allowed.

But if you have a negative experience with a company, you can't name it.

Is that right?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:18 pm
Concierge

No, that is not enitrely correct and/or the way I would state it.

If the sole purpose of your thread is to name and shame a company then it is not allowed. If you are asking for opinions because you are thinking of using a particular product, company, etc. and opinions are expressed then it is okay. However, there is a fine line and that line and its crossing is at the discretion of the moderator.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.