Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SOCIAL SECURIY NUMBER HELP!

SOCIAL SECURIY NUMBER HELP!

Old Jun 11th 2001, 5:46 pm
alex

Hi i arrived a few days ago over Pilidelphia and got a authorization to work for 90
days, I went to the social security office today to get a socialsecuritycard so i can
start my new job.they told me they had to send paperwork to the ins to make shure it
was oke so i told i would go home and get tyhe memo (the one that is referring that
peopl on a k1 are allowed to have a social securitycard) and when i came back she
said that she was aware of that iam allowwed to have a socialsecuritycard but she
still had to send a written letter to the ins??????...what would take 30-40 days and
then i had to wait 7-14 days for the socialsecuritycard ...Is this the normal
way???????????

Old Jun 11th 2001, 5:51 pm
Andy Platt

Hopefully you have read the FAQ and said, "No thanks, I'll try somewhere else that
understands the process". It sounds like you haven't read this - there is no need for
them to check with the INS for a K-1 visa holder. Hopefully, you will receive the
card anyway within a couple of weeks - if not it could take a long while. You might
want to track down the "SS K-1" memo and go back and tell them there is no
requirement to check with the INS. From here, find the Adjustment of Status pages and
browse the "Social Security" information:

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 11th 2001, 6:33 pm
michael d young

alex wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

If the office didn't have the EM-00154 memo and the office has access to Social
Security's Intranet tell them to look for it on Policy Net.

Now as far as you getting the Social Security card. You need proof of age, identity
and your alien status. Don't know what you gave them or why they questioned what you
did provided.

For some reason they were questioning the proofs you provided. Now if they really
wanted to they could call INS directly and maybe straighten out the problem, but
if they send the papers to INS to be authenticated it could be about that long.
Now once your Social Security card application is processed, you should have a
card in 7 business days after applying in a Social Security office (14 when you
mail in an application), but you normally can call 1-800-772-1213 after 2 or 3
days to get the number.

Take care,

Mike

Old Jun 11th 2001, 9:58 pm
alex

Hi well when i came back and give them the number of the memo that you also mentioned
in your post the woman that was acctually very nice told me she already found out
that i was allouwd to get a social securitycard but when she checked my A number in
the computer it said that they need something to see..The woman told me or the
computer would say yes and i would get my card in 1 or 2 weeks or the computer would
say no and that they need to see something ..I arrived 2 days ago and althaugh i
stated on my papers that i did want to work i didnt expect that i would get a stamp
in my paper that i was authorized to work for 90 days ..When i asked for the stamp he
told me he already had gave me one ..and since i as good as have a job i went up to
the socialsecurity office to get a card since i have to wait for that also prolly 2
weeks...My wife told me she thought that they didnt believe that i was allowed to get
a card so she phoned the the head office and she told that there was a way arround it
if they wouldnt issue a card that was going up and get a statement from the
lisencebranch that i need a card to get a driverlisence and that they then have to
gave me one so i drove up o the lisencebranch here and the woman told me that i
wouldnt get a statement that i need a scard for a driverlisence but she was willing
to give me a paper with a statement that i was buying a car and that i need a scard
to get the title for the car ..With this info we went back to the socialsecurity
office and the woman behind the desk explained that there isnt a other way todo it
causse the ins requested information and we couldnt not do that ourselves by going up
there she had todo that was told ..The woman really was verry friendly and was really
willing to help us aswhell explaining ..Maby if I come back in a week or 2 and she
checks then the computer itwill say yes...=] I hope and otherwise i will have to wait
30-40 days for the answer and 1 till 2 weeks for the card

thank you for replying to my post

Old Jun 11th 2001, 10:24 pm
Jonathan_ATC

Whew! Take a break there...speed kills.

--
    >

Old Jun 11th 2001, 11:14 pm
Rita

It is all very well to say this is what you should have done and they could have
done this or done that. The facts are that if you are met with a hard nose clerk you
can't do much.

In Jim's case they said the computer said he was eligible only to work for a
religious organization. That he was classified R-1. So we are still waiting from Good
Friday in April for a social security card without the legend on it and an I-551 in
the passport.

Rita