Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security records mismatch - Can anyone advise?

Social Security records mismatch - Can anyone advise?

Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:15 pm
smallgiraffe

Default Social Security records mismatch - Can anyone advise?

I wondered if you anyone was able to shed any light on the following:

Two days ago I received in the mail a form / letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA) entitled 'Retirement, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Request for Employee Information'

This says that the name and SS number reported to them (by my employer) don't match their records.

I have been working in this country (I'm British) using a false SS number. This had worked for 3 years (in 3 different places) till now. I have also been able to leave the country by filling in a different I-94 departure card to my entrance and come back in twice with no problems - my over-staying does not seem to have been recorded by immigration.

I am not expecting anyone to condone my actions. I also request to people not to waste their valuable time preaching to me I am having an upsetting enough time of it right now.

What I wondered was how important this SSA form is; whether they will also have notified my employer or not; is the SSA (mis)information they have on me shared with other agencies such as immigration; is there a set time-line / procedure after sending out this letter before taking more action; and finally if in the future I find a way to obtain legitimate status here, will this harm me?

I'm hoping if I just return the letter stating 'not known at thia address', leave quietly (my employer and probably the country) then the SSA won't investigate any further. Or do all cases get followed up whatever? My employer has a copy of my info / photo page of my UK passport.

I would really appreciate any answers / advice on this.

SG