Default Social security number required on forms while joining

Hi All,
What forms need to be filled in while joining an employer on H1 . Is
it necessary to fill in your social security number on any of the
forms before joining?

Regards,
Mits

Old May 2nd 2007, 10:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number required on forms while joining

Originally Posted by harshvardhanc
Hi All,
What forms need to be filled in while joining an employer on H1 . Is
it necessary to fill in your social security number on any of the
forms before joining?

Regards,
Mits
Do you mean what forms will your employer ask you to fill out? Only your employer knows that for sure. Ask your employer for a new hire package ahead of time, and take a look through the forms.

Usually a SSN is required for benefits such as health insurance and dental insurance. There might be forms designating who your beneficiary will be on life insurance or any company benefits (401K, stock, etc).

The company I work for has a very large new hire package which we send to an employee once they have signed the offer letter. Ask your company's human resource office for such a package.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I lost track of your original question. Once you see if your SSN is required on any of the hiring forms, you can ask HR if they will accept the forms w/o your SSN (since you won't have one immediately), and they can fill in the SSN at a later date.

Rene
Old May 2nd 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I was given some bogus xxx-xxx-xxxx type of social security number when I first moved to the US late last year.
I was sent company paychecks for my salary with social security deducted before i received my number.
I was told that companies pay social security in arrears so they can correct your details by the time it comes for them to pay. When I finally got my SSN # it was added to my paycheck details. At year end my W2 had all the deductions correctly totalled.
Old May 3rd 2007, 12:46 am
J. J. Farrell

On May 2, 2:38 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> What forms need to be filled in while joining an employer on H1 .

The same as when joining them under other conditions - an I-9, and
perhaps other things depending on the State and the employer.

> Is it necessary to fill in your social security number on any of
> the forms before joining?

You can't be required to do that since you might not have an SSN at
that time. You'll need to give your SSN to your employer as soon as
you get it, and may need to give him evidence of having applied for an
SSN within a short time of joining.