Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number query

Social Security Number query

Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security Number query

Although I've only just registered, I've been reading this forum for 6 months or so and I'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks to all the people who take their time to give advice. It's been a really useful resource in preparing for my move, and much appreciated by this lurker!

I moved over here (Virginia) last month on an L1-B visa. I appear to be lucky in that my company has a comprehensive international move policy, and up to now it's been mostly straightforward. However, I do appear to be running into sticky ground with my social security number, so wanted a bit of advice.

I applied for my SSN in person at my local office two weeks after arrival. I had all the necessary paperwork, but the computer at the office said my details didn't match their records. The application got sent off for extra checking and I was given a letter saying that I should hear from them in four weeks.

Four weeks had passed without my SSN arriving, so I called the office, to be told that my application had been rejected a second time, and now the office needed to send paper copies of my passport and visa to the office in New York. No timeline was given for the resolution, nor any details on what the problem was or why the application was rejected.

I can only guess, but I'm wondering whether the problem is due to the date the border official wrote on my I-94 when I arrived in October. My visa expiry date is July 2014. When I presented my passport/visa at arrival, the official called over to a colleague "Hey, it's 3 years for an L1B, right?", and stamped my passport/I-94 with an "admitted til" date of October 2014, ie 3 years from entry.

Has the Oct 2014 date been entered in a computer system (Homeland Security?) somewhere and do you think the mismatch with the correct date could be causing the problems? I can't think what else could be the problem - everything else has been done by the book.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? The SS office said there was nothing I could do to expedite the process, so must I just be patient and grit my teeth while the bureaucracy grinds through the motions? I'm just slightly concerned that if it's not sorted by the time I go home at Christmas, I'll get another I-94 and another date when I return and the whole process will have to start again.....
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number query

Sadly, the SSA moves at its own sweet pace and there's nothing you can do to speed up the process.

I got my SSN the same day I applied, but that was 14 years ago - pre-9/11, so I can't speak for updated policies. However, a SSN is not related to residency, so I don't see why there is a delay.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I wanted to respond and welcome you to the forum.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

someone made a mistake somewhere and unfortunately you are paying the price. Unfortunately there is no way around it but to go through the process.

Can you get a number for where your papers are being forwarded? I would start there. You should have some kind of inquiry number or docket number/ case number that you could use to follow up on what is going on.

If you case is being sent to NY, I would try to find out the NY number and call to find out why there has been a delay.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome Guinalf! I don't think residency is the problem, I think it's about proving I am who I say I am and my documents are genuine.

Brigette, I have the name and number of the person in the local office dealing with my case, I'll call them this week to see if they can give me any more information.

It's becoming an issue mainly because I'm trying to buy a car, and I've learnt that its going to be difficult as I'm currently persona non grata with the Virginia DMV. I had been waiting until i had my SSN before applying for my driving license but I've been told that I can't register my car until I either have a Virginia license or ID. I hadn't realised this was an issue - their website doesn't mention this as a requirement.

So, I need to get down the DMV and see what they can do for me to get me on their system so I can buy the car. As I'm also going to be moving address next month (from temporary to 'permanent' rented) I can see this is going to get very messy......
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I had all the necessary paperwork, but the computer at the office said my details didn't match their records.
Did you ask them what their records showed? If you know why there's a discrepancy, you can fix it. You can't fix it if you don't know what it is.

Ian
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Did you ask them what their records showed? If you know why there's a discrepancy, you can fix it. You can't fix it if you don't know what it is.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Exactly, it was the first thing I asked when I spoke to my local office and all they could tell me that the electronic application was rejected and that they had to send copies of my papers to New York. I said I'd go back to the local office with more documentation, offered to pay for FedEx rather than USPS, asked what else I could do to get this moving and I was told there was nothing I could do, I just had to wait it out.

I'm hoping with Thanksgiving out of the way I can ring back and speak to my local 'case officer' and get more details next week.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 1:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, it was the first thing I asked when I spoke to my local office...
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding... but were you actually at the office?

... and all they could tell me that the electronic application was rejected and that they had to send copies of my papers to New York.
Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? Did you ask if your information was in the SAVE system at all, and if so, on what date was the information entered?

I'm hoping with Thanksgiving out of the way I can ring back and speak to my local 'case officer' and get more details next week.
Although they sometimes break Federal law (even if they're not aware they're doing so), they are not allowed to give you any information over the phone because, quite simply, they can not confirm who you are on the phone. You should go in person and do not leave until you know what information is incorrect.

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding... but were you actually at the office?
Not when I rang to ask about the status of my application, no. I was following the instructions on the letter I had been given to call the local office to ask about my application - it does say "We can answer most questions over the phone."

Did you ask to speak to a supervisor?
No - the person I spoke to gave the distinct impression that the local office was not privy to the reason why my application is being delayed. Also I don't think the problem is at the SSA's end (see below). So the idea of speaking to a supervisor never occurred to me.

Did you ask if your information was in the SAVE system at all, and if so, on what date was the information entered?
I'm afraid I don't know what the SAVE system is, so wouldn't know to ask about it. Is this a key question to ask the local office? How will knowing what date the information was entered help me?

When I originally applied at the local office (in person) for my number, my details were entered into a computer system (is that SAVE?) there and then. It was at that initial point the system first showed there was a problem. The error message was very unhelpful indeed beyond saying records did not match those for Homeland Security and did not give any indication where the discrepancy lay. The person dealing with my application turned the computer screen around to show me, and we went through every step & field together to double check that he'd entered my details correctly.

He then submitted the electronic application and said that due to the discrepancy it would have to go for extra checking. The letter I was given at the time to acknowledge my application says:

"Before we can issue you a Social Security number card, we must verify the document(s) you gave us to show your Citizenship Alien with the Federal, State or local office in the United States that issued the document(s). This may take up to 4 weeks.

If that office verifies the authenticity of your document(s) we will mail you a Social Security number card. If that office does not verify your document(s), you are not eligible for a Social Security number card and we will inform you of this in writing."

This is what is leading me to think that the incorrect "admitted til" date or some kind of typo in the Homeland Security system is causing the problem, because I know my details entered were correctly in the SSA computer system, because I checked it myself.

Although they sometimes break Federal law (even if they're not aware they're doing so), they are not allowed to give you any information over the phone because, quite simply, they can not confirm who you are on the phone. You should go in person and do not leave until you know what information is incorrect.
That is helpful, thank you. I'll still call my local 'case officer' on Monday, and if I don't get anywhere I'll make an appointment to go in in person. Any other information you have on how the system works would be much appreciated, so I can ask the right questions and not get fobbed off.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 12:09 am
Account Closed

I'm afraid I don't know what the SAVE system is, so wouldn't know to ask about it. Is this a key question to ask the local office?
http://1.usa.gov/9Vy9te

It seems that you were pretty diligent at the SSA office, so I'm not sure there's much more for me to add. I'll just remind you that, in the US, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Ian
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I've only just registered, I've been reading this forum for 6 months or so and I'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks to all the people who take their time to give advice. It's been a really useful resource in preparing for my move, and much appreciated by this lurker!

I moved over here (Virginia) last month on an L1-B visa. I appear to be lucky in that my company has a comprehensive international move policy, and up to now it's been mostly straightforward. However, I do appear to be running into sticky ground with my social security number, so wanted a bit of advice.

I applied for my SSN in person at my local office two weeks after arrival. I had all the necessary paperwork, but the computer at the office said my details didn't match their records. The application got sent off for extra checking and I was given a letter saying that I should hear from them in four weeks.

Four weeks had passed without my SSN arriving, so I called the office, to be told that my application had been rejected a second time, and now the office needed to send paper copies of my passport and visa to the office in New York. No timeline was given for the resolution, nor any details on what the problem was or why the application was rejected.

I can only guess, but I'm wondering whether the problem is due to the date the border official wrote on my I-94 when I arrived in October. My visa expiry date is July 2014. When I presented my passport/visa at arrival, the official called over to a colleague "Hey, it's 3 years for an L1B, right?", and stamped my passport/I-94 with an "admitted til" date of October 2014, ie 3 years from entry.

Has the Oct 2014 date been entered in a computer system (Homeland Security?) somewhere and do you think the mismatch with the correct date could be causing the problems? I can't think what else could be the problem - everything else has been done by the book.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? The SS office said there was nothing I could do to expedite the process, so must I just be patient and grit my teeth while the bureaucracy grinds through the motions? I'm just slightly concerned that if it's not sorted by the time I go home at Christmas, I'll get another I-94 and another date when I return and the whole process will have to start again.....
Unfortunately, I have been in the same situation. I was on H1B though.

As I understand, I-94 is just the departure record. It has nothing to do with your work permit i.e. L1-B. Only exception is, you cannot have later date on your I-94 then your L1-B; but you can have earlier date on I-94 (at least this is the case with H1B).

When I applied for SSN back in 2005, my application got refused. They did not tell me what the problem is. I called social security office, sent letter to USCIS and even visited them personally but nothing worked out. My employer was not allowing me to work without SSN. After two months of frustration, I went to SS local office and told the whole story to the officer. He then told me that my work visa category (H1) is not matching with what they have in the database (H3 or something like that. it was a typo by the immigration officer).

After finding out this important information, I went straight into homeland security office at the Chicago airport (I landed there) and asked for help. They asked for my Passport/H1B/I-94 and in five minutes corrected the problem in the database.

After a week I was issued the SSN and after ten days got the card in mail.

I guess, If you also request them to tell you the error they are getting when they put your info in the system, then probably you can go to the airport and ask for help.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Just a quick update to let you know I got a call today from the local SSA to say that finally it had all been sorted out and I will be getting my card in the next couple of weeks. I have been calling them every day since I last posted - the squeaky wheel tactic as mentioned by Ian.

I'm still no clearer on what exactly the problem was or how it was solved - the case officer was still vague on details. Asking him questions was like trying to nail jelly. Still, one more small step in the right direction.

Next stop is the DMV - the car is bought, titled, taxed and insured, I just need to get a Virginia license now.