Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social security number in advance?

Wikiposts

Social security number in advance?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number in advance?

Originally Posted by pejpm1
oops, I replied to the wrong thread...somebody on another thread asked me how long I waited for my L1B visa, and I was answering that question...but on this thread by mistake....

The reason I'm asking is that I'm told I'll be pretty much stuck until I get an SS number...no bank account, no apartment etc etc...my company have said that they are willing to pay for 2 weeks accomodation when i get there which I wasnt too happy with...as far as I can see , everything hinges on me getting my ss number and if that is going to take weeks, then I'm going to have to ask for a bit longer...maybe a month i think.. I dont really want to have to pay for a hotel for weeks on end...
We had a similar problem, we got the company to co-sign the lease and that was sufficient. No SSN required. They only signed it on the basis that we'd have them taken off it once we had our SSNs, which we never did! But at least it got us a place to stay. We said we couldn't afford the hotel for any longer than that and would have to use our return tickets if they weren't going to help us!
For the bank account, apparently it is fairly easy to get some kind of account without an SSN. My husband's company has it's own credit union so they opened an account there for him. Not having an SSN also messes up the salary payments if you are supposed to be paid fortnightly (as is common), make sure they agree to advance you until it is sorted.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
Except the Social Security card itself, within 4 weeks.

I hate this argument. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
/
What I meant was that the boys at POA give you nothing that proves you have applied for the SSN, however, if you go down to the SSA you get some paperwork to say you have applied and how long it takes, thats why I would always apply in person rather than rely on POA guys to do it for you.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

our realtor just took us into his branch on our first day here and we got bank accounts set up. Gave them the ssn when we got them a month later.
rental was done also through realtor and didnt need an ssn.
driving licence did need the ssn so we did have to wait for that.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, we got our sons SS# in the UK after registering his birth at the Embassy, in London. Though I would assume thats only for newborn's????? Of course he was a USC. I have never heard of an adult, non USC getting one.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:11 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

there is actually a link on the london embassy site for a social security department there - i looked it up for the self same reason when we were on our way over. However, when i looked into it it wasnt for people getting a visa - it was as you say - for usc needing a number etc.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:13 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived I waited 2 weeks (as told at POE) then visited my local SSA office and I was given a SSN on the spot.. The card arrived a few days later..
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

As part of my husband's relocation package, we'll be able to take a househunting trip.

If we do this after we have our visas (L1 & L2), could we apply for SSN on that trip, so it's there waiting for us when we move over fully?

Thinking about this - would we need a proper address? Would hubby's office address suffice?

Cheers

Rebecca
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Hi,

As part of my husband's relocation package, we'll be able to take a househunting trip.

If we do this after we have our visas (L1 & L2), could we apply for SSN on that trip, so it's there waiting for us when we move over fully?

Thinking about this - would we need a proper address? Would hubby's office address suffice?

Cheers

Rebecca
Fill out SS5 ..take all paperwork including Marriage cert ..
queue for hours in your local SS office ..it may work

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:05 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

we were told we needed to be in the country at least 10 days after entering to allow time for us to show up on the computers at the social security office. We were told they might 'take' our application from us before then - but it would be unable to be processed until we showed up in the computers. We were actually advised to wait the 10 dayes before even going in (and then to avoid the monthly pension payout day as queues are horrendous that day) as they would take the form and it would sit in someones in tray until they checked the computer and saw us on it. So it was safer to take it in after 10 days in person and see it input to the system straight away rather than stuck in a pile and dependant on someone picking it up again.

so unless your house hunting trip is longer than 10 days this idea might not work so well.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
we were told we needed to be in the country at least 10 days after entering to allow time for us to show up on the computers at the social security office. We were told they might 'take' our application from us before then - but it would be unable to be processed until we showed up in the computers. We were actually advised to wait the 10 dayes before even going in (and then to avoid the monthly pension payout day as queues are horrendous that day) as they would take the form and it would sit in someones in tray until they checked the computer and saw us on it. So it was safer to take it in after 10 days in person and see it input to the system straight away rather than stuck in a pile and dependant on someone picking it up again.

so unless your house hunting trip is longer than 10 days this idea might not work so well.
Theres always extra checking to be done for people from Surrey! For a start they can't spell it.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Theres always extra checking to be done for people from Surrey! For a start they can't spell it.
Reg. Frank R.
You could be right Frank ..I was last in Surrey
and My SSN took 11 weeks ..
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:59 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Fill out SS5 ..take all paperwork including Marriage cert ..
queue for hours in your local SS office ..it may work

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html
Depending on where you live, the queue is not hours. I've never waited more than 30 min. and that was in the 80s. Now things are much more efficient (at least in my area). Just get there when the doors open. DH had a 5 min. wait when he went. It was in the mail 2-3 weeks later.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:00 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I remember reading somewhere that you could get them at the Embassy but we did all of our visa stuff in Amsterdam because that was where we lived at the time so it might have been different. No harm in calling to ask though right?
You can't be assigned an SSN while outside of the United States unless you are a United States citizen or have proof of current United States permanant resident status. If you haven't entered the U.S., you aren't going to have any evidence of permanant resident status.

Last edited by mdyoung; Feb 5th 2008 at 4:04 am.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:02 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
And I wasn't aware you could pay to speed up the process???

I think most of my problem has been that the USCIS didn't eneter the correct information into the system when I entered the US, therefore the SSA were not informed that I had entered. I just hoping that my Greencard turns up. Gonna give that another 2 weeks and then I'll have to start chasing that one down.
When an individual indicates on the DS0-230 that he or she would like to be assigned an SSN when applying for an immigrant visa, one of three things may happen:

1. The application information is not transmitted correctly from the
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State (DOS)
and the individual must go into a Social Security office to submit
an SSN application (Form SS-5).

2. The application information partially transmits from DHS and
DOS and the individual must go into a Social Security office. If
the exception can be corrected the SSN can be assign and card
issued. Otherwise, the individual must submit an SSN application.

3. The application information transmits correctly from DHS and DOS and
the individual is assigned an SSN and the card is mailed to address
provided to DHS for the mailing of the I-551 card.

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
You could be right Frank ..I was last in Surrey
and My SSN took 11 weeks ..
Hi Ray
Theres the confirmation. Plus they had to look up your dodgy back ground. Proof is in the pudding.
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.