Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social security number in advance?

Social security number in advance?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social security number in advance?

Is it possible to get a social security number in adavance of my arrival in the US? i.e. can the US embassy issue them? I've noticed that I pretty much wont be able to do anything until I have an SS number and that it can take a couple of weeks to get one...is there anyway around that? Can you get one any quicker than that, or before your arrival? Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social security number in advance?

To be honest - no.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine took longer than a couple of weeks, but YMMV.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Is it possible to get a social security number in adavance of my arrival in the US? i.e. can the US embassy issue them? I've noticed that I pretty much wont be able to do anything until I have an SS number and that it can take a couple of weeks to get one...is there anyway around that? Can you get one any quicker than that, or before your arrival? Thanks
No, you can't get it in advance of your entry to the US. While you may have a visa, it is not a guarantee of admission.
Admission = status and the right status - Social Security card.

There may be ways around the obstacles you're envisioning. What kind of visa are you coming with?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure a dodgy geezer in a bar could knock one out for you for a price...but your better off waiting, what's a few weeks anyway? You'll be able to get loads done in that time.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading somewhere that you could get them at the Embassy but we did all of our visa stuff in Amsterdam because that was where we lived at the time so it might have been different. No harm in calling to ask though right?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

I'm into week 5 and still waiting, according to the latest letter I have, I should have it this week
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
I'm into week 5 and still waiting, according to the latest letter I have, I should have it this week
My company paid for premium processing so it took 10 days.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So why were you asking about expediting a social security number if you already had one?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

And I wasn't aware you could pay to speed up the process???

I think most of my problem has been that the USCIS didn't eneter the correct information into the system when I entered the US, therefore the SSA were not informed that I had entered. I just hoping that my Greencard turns up. Gonna give that another 2 weeks and then I'll have to start chasing that one down.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
So why were you asking about expediting a social security number if you already had one?
oops, I replied to the wrong thread...somebody on another thread asked me how long I waited for my L1B visa, and I was answering that question...but on this thread by mistake....

The reason I'm asking is that I'm told I'll be pretty much stuck until I get an SS number...no bank account, no apartment etc etc...my company have said that they are willing to pay for 2 weeks accomodation when i get there which I wasnt too happy with...as far as I can see , everything hinges on me getting my ss number and if that is going to take weeks, then I'm going to have to ask for a bit longer...maybe a month i think.. I dont really want to have to pay for a hotel for weeks on end...
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I remember reading somewhere that you could get them at the Embassy but we did all of our visa stuff in Amsterdam because that was where we lived at the time so it might have been different. No harm in calling to ask though right?

When applying for an Immigrant Visa, you can apply for the SSN on the back of the visa application DS-230 II.
When the IV holder enters the US, the application is forwarded to SSA's Enumeration At Entry program and the it's entered automagically. SS cards should then appear within 4 weeks.

Premium processing is normally a term for visa/petition applications, not Social Security number applications.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:49 pm

The reason I'm asking is that I'm told I'll be pretty much stuck until I get an SS number...no bank account, no apartment etc etc...my company have said that they are willing to pay for 2 weeks accomodation when i get there which I wasnt too happy with...as far as I can see , everything hinges on me getting my ss number and if that is going to take weeks, then I'm going to have to ask for a bit longer...maybe a month i think.. I dont really want to have to pay for a hotel for weeks on end...
If you start reading around, you'll find there are plenty of ways to rent an apartment, open a bank account and a number of other things without your SS#.
Life does not need to be put on hold.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
When applying for an Immigrant Visa, you can apply for the SSN on the back of the visa application DS-230 II.
When the IV holder enters the US, the application is forwarded to SSA's Enumeration At Entry program and the it's entered automagically. SS cards should then appear within 4 weeks.
I agree you can do this but as in my case it doesn't always work. Personally I would go into the SSA office in person, that way you get in writing that the application is being processed. When doing it the DS-230 route you get nothing and unless you actually take a trip down to the SSA you have no idea if the application has been passed along.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
When doing it the DS-230 route you get nothing and unless you actually take a trip down to the SSA
Except the Social Security card itself, within 4 weeks.

I hate this argument. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.